The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Bearing dimentions (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=270298)

Ol' Ron 10-01-2019 07:12 PM

Bearing dimentions

I'd like to get some dimensions for bearing thickness. I thought the standard bearing was . for the .220 mains and .o85 for the rods. Don't have a stock set to check. I have dozens of used bearings i used to get my clearances. when the crank is already ground. Memory isn't working today??

cadillac512 10-01-2019 08:07 PM

Re: Bearing dimentions

Hi,Ron
Believe it's .110" on mains and .085" rods. And Thank You for all your help on here!
Terry

Ol' Ron 10-01-2019 08:19 PM

My eyesight is so bad I can't even read a mic with a magnifier. I just got a bearing mic from a friend and was looking for ..0025/.003" on a .010 main. guess I'll have to find another way, I read the Mic wrong. Thanks, very much.

tubman 10-01-2019 08:30 PM

Geez Ron, that's terrible. I was just diagnosed with severe arthritis in my lower back and was feeling pretty sorry for myself, but I think I'd rather have my problem than yours; at least I can still sit on a stool at my bench and do a lot of stuff. Is there any chance they can do something to help you out?

Tim Ayers 10-01-2019 08:34 PM

I mean this will all due respect. Have you considered going to digital read out mics? There are some really good ones out there now.

Ol' Ron 10-01-2019 11:27 PM

Yes, I do have digital mics and calipers. However abearing mic will measure in.0001: and has a round andvile on the bottom to measure the curved bearing. have a plan for tomorrow that I think will work. It's nice to have friends like this, and I always likes fitting bearings, it's a lost art!!

51 MERC-CT 10-02-2019 03:24 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol' Ron (Post 1805398)
Yes, I do have digital mics and calipers. However abearing mic will measure in.0001: and has a round andvile on the bottom to measure the curved bearing. have a plan for tomorrow that I think will work. It's nice to have friends like this, and I always likes fitting bearings, it's a lost art!!

From one 'octogenarian' to another, I have used round rod many times to measure dissimilar surfaces while using flat anvil measuring devices.

Frank Miller 10-02-2019 07:20 AM

I have taken pics with my phone to accurately read vernier scales. The pics can be enlarged. I think vernier scales will go the way of the slide rule.

Tim Ayers 10-02-2019 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT (Post 1805407)
From one octogenarian to another, I have used round rod many times to measure dissimilar surfaces while using flat anvil measuring devices.

This is what I was thinking. A work around the problem.

Bored&Stroked 10-02-2019 08:39 AM

I use a standard 1" mic and a flathead piston pin . . . been doing it that way for years.

Bored&Stroked 10-02-2019 08:42 AM

Also, I've learned my lesson with bearing sizes - as we don't have the +.001 and -.001 size options (in the standard under sizes) that we have in many modern engines. I now buy/setup my bearings FIRST, then I take extremely accurate measurements with a 3-point dial bore gauge, then I have the crank ground to match. Seems it is about the only way I can get exactly what I'm looking for (especially on the mains).

Ol' Ron 10-02-2019 10:27 AM

Before I had a Bearing mic, I too, used the wrist pin method. But I never thought that was very accurate . This morning I used a magnifier hat and a light to read the mic, and that works very well, Your not going to believe this, but I have several hundred used bearings. So getting the right clearance was easy. Unfortunately, that was many years ago.

GOSFAST 10-02-2019 11:13 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Couple tips about the tools need to check ANY brg shell thicknesses.

You really need a very accurate micrometer, preferably one that does read in "tenths", and you should have a higher-end bore gauge (Sunnen for instance) to complement the micrometer. There are bore-gauge setting fixtures to work with this procedure also but not necessarily required?

There is another extremely accurate way to get the brg thickness, it's by using a "height-gauge", it is almost a fool-proof method, and they're not really that all expensive. They read in "tenths" and are available with a digital read-out, ours don't have this option as we have a large choice of other tools to get the job done!

Also, Dale has it correct to get a desired brg clearance, BUT, you don't have that "grinding-the-crank-size" option when ALL the components are "new", it isn't in play, for instance when you purchase a new stroker kit!! For correct clearances in this scenario you have very limited options for any correction!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. For most of our Flathead builds we "aim" for .002" on the mains, .002" on the rods. Usually we end up "right-in-the-ballpark"?? Anyway, here's a shot of a Chevy main shell being measured on the "height-gauge", this particular one just happens to be exactly .100" thick (the "probe" has a nice radius for the brg curvature)! Gauge made 1 full turn right back to "zero" and a shot of the bore gauge checking clearances.

Ol' Ron 10-02-2019 02:31 PM

Tanks Gary for your input. Back when I was building engine I had two places where I could have my cranks ground. And I always had them give me an extra 1/2 thou under what ever size needed to clean up the journal. This way I could use the standard under size bearing. Made assembling the engines easier. Yes I have all that stuff like Mics and bore gauges and I never used them very much untill a fellow down country asked me if i knew that the new cam bearings were oversize. he foung one set with .006" clearance. This really hit me. I never checked the cam bearing clearance. Just put in new ones. On my next build I checked the clearance of the old bearings they wer .oo3 fnt .oo4 cent .oo3 rear. I checked the new bearings and they were .0025 +/_. Now I always check the cam bearings .

Bored&Stroked 10-02-2019 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GOSFAST (Post 1805517)

Also, Dale has it correct to get a desired brg clearance, BUT, you don't have that "grinding-the-crank-size" option when ALL the components are "new", it isn't in play, for instance when you purchase a new stroker kit!! For correct clearances in this scenario you have very limited options for any correction!

I had a very expensive custom billet crank made for our Flathead Cadillac Bonneville engine ($5K price tag - 6 months wait) - and though I requested a specific bearing size/clearance, they ground everything to stock sizes (we were using BBC bearings) - about .002 on the mains. Given this is a 3-main engine, making 650 HP and we're putting 21 lbs of boost on it, I needed the clearance - or we'd hurt it. (We needed .003 to .00325 on the first two mains and .004 to .00425 on the rear). So . . . we 'fixed' it . . .

I have a REALLY GOOD crank grinder - who has the equipment, experience and attitude to do amazing things. He took the brand new crank and ground it for another .001 of clearance . . . taking .0005 off the journal. Now THAT is precision work!