The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What does "All STeel" mean? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=270054)

Synchro909 09-26-2019 09:48 PM

What does "All STeel" mean?

This car is supposed to be all steel but with no interior trim fitted, well, you be the judge.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1930-Ford-M...gAAOSwvxNdi-Iv

chrs1961815 09-26-2019 09:59 PM

Re: What does "All STeel" mean?

I think what people are trying to say when they say "all steel" is that the car has had no body work done or has no body filler. I mostly have seen people throw the term on original cars. This car has been repainted for sure.

Mike V. Florida 09-26-2019 10:00 PM

To me all steel means no fiberglass parts such as fenders.

CHuDWah 09-26-2019 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida (Post 1803510)

^This^

And yes, there's a lot of non-steel wood in a Fordor. For that matter, there's lots of non-steel materials in every A.

Synchro909 09-27-2019 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHuDWah (Post 1803523)
^This^

And yes, there's a lot of non-steel wood in a Fordor. For that matter, there's lots of non-steel materials in every A.

To me, all steel means all steel - no wood. If every Model A has wood in it, why would anybody call any of them all steel? Borderline deceptive, in my book but just goes to show how the variations in terminology can cause misunderstandings.

Dean Lemoine 09-27-2019 06:28 AM

I agree with Mike. All steel means that no parts have been replaced with fiberglass

77Birdman 09-27-2019 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Lemoine (Post 1803557)
I agree with Mike. All steel means that no parts have been replaced with fiberglass

THIS. I think fenders are more prone to damage over the many years and easily replaced with fiberglass reproductions. As well as the multitude of fiberglass reproduction body's. When a car is advertised as 'all steel' it means that all of the body is steel and not fiberglass. I think most people know or are aware of the fact that these cars have wooden frames. It is irrelevant whether there has been body work (bondo) done to the car as far as 'all steel' is concerned.

History 09-27-2019 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida (Post 1803510)

This is how I took it also.

Synchro909 09-27-2019 08:19 AM

just goes to show how the variations in terminology can cause misunderstandings.

Hmmm, very different from here where "all steel" means steel framework and panels, like a modern car - no wood. I sometimes wonder if we are bound by the same language or separated by it!;)

rotorwrench 09-27-2019 08:28 AM

There have been so many bodies and fenders made from fiberglass that it has to be stated whether non stock plastic parts are making up the body. If the body is by Brookville then that should also be mentioned. A person shouldn't represent a car as original if it is made up from non original parts.

Some model A cars used a lot of wood construction and especially those made by the subcontractors. They still have a steel outer shell and they could still be considered original to that effect.

daren007 09-27-2019 08:39 AM

No Fiberglass.

redmodelt 09-27-2019 09:58 AM

No bondo

Licensed to kill 09-27-2019 10:06 AM

Ive always taken "all steel" to mean no fibreglass replacement body parts and "all Henry steel" to mean all body parts are original, not replacement/reproduction steel (most commonly fenders). Could also mean include bondo. I've never even considered that it might mean that the wood has been replaced with steel.

Tacoma Bob 09-27-2019 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Licensed to kill (Post 1803643)
Ive always taken "all steel" to mean no fibreglass replacement body parts and "all Henry steel" to mean all body parts are original, not replacement/reproduction steel (most commonly fenders). Could also mean include bondo. I've never even considered that it might mean that the wood has been replaced with steel.

Yup!

Russ/40 09-27-2019 10:49 AM

Every instance i have ever seen, it was to specify no fake fiberglass body parts. Never considered it to mean no bondo and would never trust that to be true. That's what weak magnets are for.

cederholm 09-27-2019 11:22 AM

What Russ said.

19Fordy 09-27-2019 11:42 AM

If all steel cars didn't have any
Bondo or lead, then there would be very few
genuine factory "all steel" cars as they left the factory..

37 Coupe 09-27-2019 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19Fordy (Post 1803676)
If all steel cars didn't have any
Bondo or lead, then there would be very few
genuine factory "all steel" cars as they left the factory..

One I remember was a 1963 Ford Galaxie that my dad bought brand new. It had Bondo or some sort of filler on rocker panels.Wouldn't have been so bad if we didn't notice it on first wash job,at least they could have smoothed it out or sanded it.Must have been a Friday made car.

CHuDWah 09-27-2019 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synchro909 (Post 1803534)
To me, all steel means all steel - no wood. If every Model A has wood in it, why would anybody call any of them all steel? Borderline deceptive, in my book but just goes to show how the variations in terminology can cause misunderstandings.

By that logic, the seats should be just steel-plate benches and the wheels shouldn't have rubber tires. Model A seats are hard enough and the ride is rough enough as is. ;)

But I understand your confusion given that a saloon is a place to drink beer, a bonnet is a woman's hat, a boot is a man's shoe, and a dicky is...well, not a seat. :D

Chris Haynes 09-27-2019 02:19 PM

To me All Steel means that any part that was Steel when it left the factory is still Steel today. Not fiberglass.