The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Rsk (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=272923)

RSK 11-20-2019 05:43 PM

Rsk

1929 Fordor with stock engine & transmission (except with modern upper plate points & condenser). Was running good b4 being parked several months. After being parked it started and ran good except when pulling forward from a stop or going up hill, when it lurched and bucked terribly. When backing up the same hill it ran fine. It starts & idles very well.
Here's what I've done so far without improvement:
1 Made sure gas tank was at least 1/2 full with fresh gas without alcohol
2 Cleaned filter on the fire wall
3 Had carburetor professionally cleaned
4 Replaced points and condenser
5 Replaced coil
6 Retimed
7 Replaced condenser again
8 Compression test OK
9 Plugs were black and sooty. Cleaned off what I could.
10 Put about 1 oz Marvel Mystery Oil in each cylinder, rotated engine and
reinstalled plugs and let it sit for 5 days
11 Added Marvel Mystery Oil to gas according to instructions on bottle.
When going uphill & it starts to lurch I immediately stop & disconnect gas line from carburetor & gas flow is good. Nothing I did helped lurching.
Any criticism, advice, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Gary WA 11-20-2019 06:11 PM

Re: Rsk

1 Attachment(s)
electrical short?! as you go forward up hill?

Jacksonlll 11-20-2019 06:35 PM

Two things to check. Both easy. Unscrew fuel line in carb and make sure the ferrule is at the very end of the tube. If not, circumcise it a bit. Turn the gas valve on and make sure you get full flow of about a cup of gas. If not, blow back to clear the line and try again. Good luck.
All those changes were not needed. Save all the parts you removed.

Jacksonlll 11-20-2019 06:37 PM

On your plugs, be sure to clean down in the annulus of the plug. Use a small pointy file and dig it out.

Synchro909 11-20-2019 07:38 PM

Sounds to me like it's runing lean. Take it out again and when it starts bucking, give it a bit of choke. If it runs better, it is lean. Look for a leaky manifold or similar.
You say you had the carburettor professionally cleaned. Make sure they replaced the venturi and that the gaskets are good. There are professionals and there are professionals!

Gary WA 11-20-2019 08:23 PM

Make sure your gas line is not pushed in to far into the carb,hitting filter restricting flow.

nick c 11-20-2019 08:37 PM

Any motor I own with sooty plugs must be cleaned in a glass bead cabinet or replaced. sooty plugs sound like it is running too rich.
On my AA I take the spark plug wire off, set wire on top of plug, start engine, move wire away from plug and see how far spark will jump.
good luck, keep in touch