The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Barrett-Jackson (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=260093)

fredski53 03-06-2019 01:18 PM

Barrett-Jackson
 

I was just watching the Barrett-Jackson live from Scottsdale. Listening to the comments from the so called experts. A 29 Model A pick up rolled across the block and expert Steve Magnatta commented on how hard is was to drive with all the controls on the steering column! Saying that at higher speeds you have to retard the spark! WTF! Earlier there was a 1960 Chevy Impala with a V-8 and they were saying it had the 348 in it. I couldn't tell what size engine it was, but I know it wasn't a 348! These guys are a joke!

WHN 03-06-2019 01:35 PM

Re: Barrett-Jackson
 

It’s all for TV. There just filling time with words.

There’s a lot of that on cable TV today.

desotoguy 03-06-2019 02:20 PM

Re: Barrett-Jackson
 

My control has a mute button, I don't listen to the dialog, just watch the picture and the bid price.

Jeff/Illinois 03-06-2019 03:51 PM

Re: Barrett-Jackson
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by desotoguy (Post 1733638)
My control has a mute button, I don't listen to the dialog, just watch the picture and the bid price.

That's a good move.

I DVR this event to speed thru the endless mindless commercials seems like they sell three cars and then it's 6-8 commercials for the next 8 minutes or so. And just when you see something coming up that may be worth watching. They do this especially to antique cars they highlight the big buck muscle cars.

Best to watch it live on the Internet you don't see all the commercial junk.

That reminds me, I'm supposed to ask my doctor about some pharm garbage but I can't recall the names:p:p:p That's what the voice over keeps telling you anyway! And last year Americans spent just south of 5 billion on prescribed drugs god knows how many billions on the street corner guy's stash. If people were addicted to the old car hobby not drugs it would be a nicer place to live.

Classiccanuck 03-06-2019 05:29 PM

Re: Barrett-Jackson
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by WHN (Post 1733626)
Itís all for TV. There just filling time with words.

Thereís a lot of that on cable TV today.

Agree

Patrick L. 03-06-2019 08:22 PM

Re: Barrett-Jackson
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by fredski53 (Post 1733620)
I was just watching the Barrett-Jackson live from Scottsdale. Listening to the comments from the so called experts. A 29 Model A pick up rolled across the block and expert Steve Magnatta commented on how hard is was to drive with all the controls on the steering column! Saying that at higher speeds you have to retard the spark! WTF! Earlier there was a 1960 Chevy Impala with a V-8 and they were saying it had the 348 in it. I couldn't tell what size engine it was, but I know it wasn't a 348! These guys are a joke!





What did the valve covers on the Chevy look like ?

Bob Bidonde 03-07-2019 09:45 AM

Re: Barrett-Jackson
 

The 348 Chevy V8 was a truck engine that found its way into passenger cars during the horsepower war years. In the Impala, the 348 first appeared in 1958, and it was offered until 1961 when it was replaced by the 409.

The 348 was Chevy's first big block for passenger cars.

jhowes 03-07-2019 09:48 AM

Re: Barrett-Jackson
 

The chevy 348 and 409 had a scalloped valve cover. The 348 may have been available in the 60 impala as i don't know when the 348 was bored out to make the 409. I had a 348 in 1958 but the 409 came in the early 60's jack

1931 flamingo 03-07-2019 12:15 PM

Re: Barrett-Jackson
 

It's entertainment...................................
Paul in CT

fredski53 03-07-2019 01:38 PM

Re: Barrett-Jackson
 

Patrick, the valve covers were just plain, straight covers. I always thought the Chevy 348/409 valve covers were scalloped. It just made me laugh when the expert said it had a 348 ! This "expert " had his own tv show called junkyard gold! He would go to old junkyards and talk about the old cars he would see in the yards.

GPierce 03-07-2019 03:13 PM

Re: Barrett-Jackson
 

1 Attachment(s)
Chevrolet 409

1928Mik 03-07-2019 03:49 PM

Re: Barrett-Jackson
 

I used to faithfully watch the B/J Scottsdale every January, doing the fantasy bids and all that. Then I noticed #1, all Steve Davis talks about are Fords, Mustangs in particular, and how the car is the 'real deal' when he interrupts the auctioneer, #2, Craig Jackson is very rude to bidders at times and loves to interrupt the bidding to try to hike it up, #3, everything is inflated, commercialized, and categorized according to what the announcers favorites are, #4, Mike Joy has always owned one of the cars on the block and talks about how great it was, #5, Steve Magnante is a walking car encyclopedia but he is not always correct, and #6, Chris Jacobs is a tool and knows absolutely nothing. Now I casually will watch but only for a much shorter time. Basically the best thing now is to keep an eye out for the leather pants on the 'Sold Sticker' girl.

30 Closed Cab PU 03-07-2019 09:19 PM

Re: Barrett-Jackson
 

I am amazed at the quantity and the quality of the cars. The show currently running said the auction was for either 500 or 700 cars, I forget which # is correct. And this is only one auction. It seems strange to me that over the past few years there is a large enough market for this quantity of hugely expensive cars that either are not used, or trailer queens, or only used for leisure. And the builders keep adding to the quantity. Makes me wonder if there will be a huge crash in this market. Probably at the next major economic downturn.

holdover 03-08-2019 12:12 AM

Re: Barrett-Jackson
 

I no longer have Direct TV, got tired of paying 80 bucks for a commercial every few minutes. I watch BJ by live streaming and opt not to listen to the talking heads. That is one nice thing about BJ, they give you that option.

JRN1967 03-08-2019 10:33 AM

Re: Barrett-Jackson
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by 30 Closed Cab PU (Post 1734039)
I am amazed at the quantity and the quality of the cars. The show currently running said the auction was for either 500 or 700 cars, I forget which # is correct. And this is only one auction. It seems strange to me that over the past few years there is a large enough market for this quantity of hugely expensive cars that either are not used, or trailer queens, or only used for leisure. And the builders keep adding to the quantity. Makes me wonder if there will be a huge crash in this market. Probably at the next major economic downturn.

Same as you, I often wonder how much longer this will continue? One of my older brothers is a Baby Boomer and he refers to his muscle cars as 401K's. I disagree, because I think there will be a void when Baby Boomers get a few more years older. Younger generations grew up driving foreign cars in their teen age years. They don't look at older cars the same way we do.

That's why I like my Model A driver. For under 10K I'm out there having fun, and if the bottom drops out of the market. I won't really care, because I own it cause I love it. Not because of some profit I might get out of it.

John

California Travieso 03-08-2019 12:54 PM

Re: Barrett-Jackson
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1928Mik (Post 1733950)
I used to faithfully watch the B/J Scottsdale every January, doing the fantasy bids and all that. Then I noticed #1, all Steve Davis talks about are Fords, Mustangs in particular, and how the car is the 'real deal' when he interrupts the auctioneer, #2, Craig Jackson is very rude to bidders at times and loves to interrupt the bidding to try to hike it up, #3, everything is inflated, commercialized, and categorized according to what the announcers favorites are, #4, Mike Joy has always owned one of the cars on the block and talks about how great it was, #5, Steve Magnante is a walking car encyclopedia but he is not always correct, and #6, Chris Jacobs is a tool and knows absolutely nothing. Now I casually will watch but only for a much shorter time. Basically the best thing now is to keep an eye out for the leather pants on the 'Sold Sticker' girl.

I agree with everything you said, but especially about Chris Jacobs. He's an idiot and not a car guy at all.

On the early episodes of Overhaulin' he used to do those stupid pranks where they would pretend to "steal" the cars they were going to work on.

He tried to prank one car owner by putting Chip Foose in trunk of the car when they "recovered" the car. The car owner was a cop and when they opened the trunk and Chip popped out he pulled his gun out and aimed it at Chip. Chip almost got shot! Must have scared the $..t out of Foose.

David Serrano

Jeff/Illinois 03-08-2019 02:04 PM

Re: Barrett-Jackson
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRN1967 (Post 1734184)
Same as you, I often wonder how much longer this will continue? One of my older brothers is a Baby Boomer and he refers to his muscle cars as 401K's. I disagree, because I think there will be a void when Baby Boomers get a few more years older. Younger generations grew up driving foreign cars in their teen age years. They don't look at older cars the same way we do.

That's why I like my Model A driver. For under 10K I'm out there having fun, and if the bottom drops out of the market. I won't really care, because I own it cause I love it. Not because of some profit I might get out of it.

John

Truer words never spoken. Only the people hawking high dollar cars to increase the sold price for their own commission speak as though these things are 'investments' for the future. If that was true why aren't they buying them up? No, 401K and collector cars can't be used in the same sentence I don't see it.

I think the market for cars is already going soft. The prices on some of this stuff is un-sustainable. Buy what you want, have fun, don't fret about resale value. You're going to die someday anyway after that they will shove your car out in the driveway and some auctioneer will send it on it's way. Somebody else is going to get it. The cars will always have SOME value and once that is turned into cash, that money will be long gone on something else.

I don't know the value of Vettes, but I was just at a friends house one day this week and he has a '64 convertible that is a show car. He is the second owner has the whole history of the car. Anyway he said to me 'See that Vette over there?' (He has a huge Morton building he keeps his cars in). I told him yes. He said 'Do you know what that car is worth today?' I told him I had no idea. He said $35K on a good day but I don't think I could even get that today. The value has dropped a LOT in the last several years.'

He knows that market a lot better than I do, I don't follow that part of the old car segment.

30 Closed Cab PU 03-08-2019 02:07 PM

Re: Barrett-Jackson
 

Pranking a cop? Just asking for problems, but sure is funny since Chip did not get hurt:)


With these shows you never know, could have been staged.

1928Mik 03-09-2019 12:08 PM

Re: Barrett-Jackson
 

"I agree with everything you said, but especially about Chris Jacobs. He's an idiot and not a car guy at all."


Yeah for sure, that guy is just annoying....



But really, I think those shows have skewed the market quite a bit, and now everyone thinks they have something worth a fortune. I know one guy who bought a GTO at a Mecum Auction a few years ago for 11 grand, then reentered it the next day hoping to cash in. It went for 9 grand the second time, so he lost many $$ since he paid both buyers and sellers fees. More money than sense. The market tends to readjust every few years anyhow. I'm like JRN1967, Model A's are a good hobby that are reasonable and fun and I don't think of them as big money makers.

Jeff/Illinois 03-10-2019 03:29 PM

Re: Barrett-Jackson
 

B-J, American Pickers, and other 'reality' TV shows have done a lot to hurt this hobby. More harm than any possible good.

They have taken a lot of the fun out of this hobby. For reasons stated, mainly every fool with any rusted out hulk thinks he has a gold mine sitting there.

Big money seems to wreck a lot of hobbies. They have done it to antique guns, petroleum collectibles, old tractors, and on and on.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:18 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.