The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   FRENCH Block With 4" Merc Crank (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=302017)

V8COOPMAN 08-03-2021 08:55 PM

FRENCH Block With 4" Merc Crank

Anyone with actual experience....when using a 4" Merc crank in a French block, WHICH flywheel must you use? A 1CM-type flywheel, or a PRE-'49 flywheel following the PRE-'49 features on the rear of a French block? DD

Brian 08-03-2021 10:26 PM

Re: FRENCH Block With 4" Merc Crank

Pre 49

Mart 08-04-2021 03:04 AM

Concur with Brian. The bottom end of French motors is like 59A. For example the bearings are 59A rather than 8BA. Big exception to the above statement is the vent is not a vent and needs blocking off while allowing oil to drain back to the pan.

TomT/Williamsburg 08-04-2021 09:32 PM

Pre 49 - I had one in my old 40 coupe and have another one in the garage that will get a 4” crank as well …..

37fatfender 08-04-2021 09:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of my modified Oil Pan that's on my French Block. The pan is the two piece type that lets you change the flywheel without dropping the oil pan. I have had at least 3 drifferent flywheels on the engine. A stock heavy cast iron wheel, and aluminum wheel with steel insert and now a cast iron lightened wheel. I have a Merc 4 inch crank in it as well.

Note as well as modifying the pan, I also cut a notch in the block for oil to flow into the oil pan.

V8COOPMAN 08-05-2021 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 37fatfender (Post 2042840)
Here is a picture of my modified Oil Pan that's on my French Block. The pan is the two piece type that lets you change the flywheel without dropping the oil pan. I have had at least 3 drifferent flywheels on the engine. A stock heavy cast iron wheel, and aluminum wheel with steel insert and now a cast iron lightened wheel. I have a Merc 4 inch crank in it as well.

Note as well as modifying the pan, I also cut a notch in the block for oil to flow into the oil pan.

Thank you ALL, especially for the detailed info. I'm downsizing, and preparing to offer a new French block in the crate. I'm trying to assemble a package with correct, accompanying and attractive, yet necessary parts that I have collected over the years. Much appreciated! DD

Mart 08-05-2021 03:51 AM

DD, look upon the oil pan/starter/flywheel (ring gear) as a matched set. They must be from the same type of motor, normally 59A. Here in the UK the Lucas/Pilot parts add a possibility of parts mismatch but if you have all 59A compatible parts then you're ok.
59A type cam/2 bolt cover are also bolt ons. FWIW another French oddity is that the crank/cam gears are cut with the helix the same as 59A rather than 8BA.

V8COOPMAN 08-05-2021 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mart (Post 2042901)
DD, look upon the oil pan/starter/flywheel (ring gear) as a matched set. They must be from the same type of motor, normally 59A. Here in the UK the Lucas/Pilot parts add a possibility of parts mismatch but if you have all 59A compatible parts then you're ok.
59A type cam/2 bolt cover are also bolt ons. FWIW another French oddity is that the crank/cam gears are cut with the helix the same as 59A rather than 8BA.

And MORE valuable info. Thank you very much, Mart! DD