The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   1950 Ford F1 value? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=269292)

Randy 09-10-2019 08:15 PM

1950 Ford F1 value?

3 Attachment(s)
9/11/19 UPDATE to original post: Thanks everyone for your input. I spoke to the 2nd and current owner today and his story is different from the info I received from another family member. The owner knew the family that owned the truck and used to do work for them so he's the one with the most historical knowledge. Unfortunately, he says the whole truck was repainted after the fender bender decades ago. The original owners were farmers and used the truck to occasionally transport produce from Luckenbach to San Antonio and so the tops of the fenders were scratched up from loading and unloading the bed. After the fender bender they decided to repaint the truck. I do not know about the inside of the truck or the inside of the bed. I apologize for the changing story and have been around long enough to know that it must be much more closely scrutinized having been repainted especially with how trucks are typically treated when used as work vehicles. So, I am going to go see it in person in a few weeks and will update this thread at that time with lots of pics. Thanks again to all!

ORIGINAL POST:
I'm looking at this truck, but don't really know values of these? Is anyone willing to give me an opinion of value or range for this very original 1950 Ford F1? It's in Luckenbach, Texas where it was bought new and has remained since new. 2nd owner is selling it, bought it from the estate after original owners passed away. It's always been garage kept, maintained and kept running/driving, never been restored, had a fender bender once 40 years ago and so one front fender has been painted by the local Ford dealer way back then. Other than that repair, no other body work and no rust. V8 runs good and stops. Very, very clean pickup. I only have these 3 photos for now, but they give you an idea of how clean it is, the rest looks the same, bedsides are cherry as is the inside of the bed. Any input is appreciated, thanks!

Ross F-1 09-10-2019 08:28 PM

Re: 1950 Ford F1 value?

It is in excellent shape body-wise. If it is unrestored, does that mean it has not had the brake system gone thru? Is the wire insulation in good shape? Which transmission does it have? I'm guessing HD 3-sp or crashbox 4-sp. as the column drop has a place for column shift, and the bedsides are flat, indicating a later '50.

I'd say at least in the $12k - $15k range, especially in the Austin area.

tubman 09-10-2019 08:45 PM

I really like it. I have seen a lot of old un-restored vehicles, but those instruments are some of the best I've seen. I have no idea of the market for these, but from what I can see, if you like it and can afford it, buy it!

(Other than that, I will have to say that Ross usually knows what he is talking about).

FortyNiner 09-10-2019 09:36 PM

Yup, $15K+. That looks like an exception survivor.

Randy 09-10-2019 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross F-1 (Post 1797758)
It is in excellent shape body-wise. If it is unrestored, does that mean it has not had the brake system gone thru? Is the wire insulation in good shape? Which transmission does it have? I'm guessing HD 3-sp or crashbox 4-sp. as the column drop has a place for column shift, and the bedsides are flat, indicating a later '50.

I'd say at least in the $12k - $15k range, especially in the Austin area.

It has been maintained and kept up. Always kept in a garage, never neglected. It is low mileage, not sure how low but will ask, and I'm sure the brakes have been maintained and kept up as has everything else. I'll ask about the transmission. Thanks for the input!

flatford8 09-11-2019 06:21 AM

Search the internet for ones that are for sale. Then take the average. I read Hemings a lot and the prices start at 8k-9k and if I remember correctly they go on up to 35k for a “restored” one. If that one is original and anywhere near the price as suggested by Ross......I would grab it because somebody else is going to......Good Luck and show us more pics when you get it home........Mark

Frank Miller 09-11-2019 06:56 AM

This would probably bring 20k at an auction. you can find nice trucks but it's hard to find nice original trucks. If you want to be fair to them negotiate somewhere between 15 and 20. Maybe you could convince them your plans are sincere or maybe you have and that is why they agreed to sell it to you.

Firepower flyer 09-11-2019 08:17 AM

Wow very cool survivor!!!! I would think 15-20K I like original over restored any day.

TJ 09-11-2019 08:49 AM

I'm curious about the dash color. Isn't the dash on those pickups supposed to be the same color as the body?

Tim Ayers 09-11-2019 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Miller (Post 1797841)
This would probably bring 20k at an auction. you can find nice trucks but it's hard to find nice original trucks. If you want to be fair to them negotiate somewhere between 15 and 20. Maybe you could convince them your plans are sincere or maybe you have and that is why they agreed to sell it to you.

Without question. I would not be the least surprised if it would go for $20K. Early-mid 50's trucks are super hot right now. Plus, most people want patina or original vehicles. Restored examples sometime bring less than an original.

FortyNiner 09-11-2019 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ (Post 1797876)
I'm curious about the dash color. Isn't the dash on those pickups supposed to be the same color as the body?

They are. I would attribute any perceived differences to lighting.

Tim Ayers 09-11-2019 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FortyNiner (Post 1797896)
They are. I would attribute any perceived differences to lighting.

Or sun fading.

The more I look at this truck, the nicer it is. It doesn't seem to have the typical lower front fender rot over the bumper/frame horns or rear portion by the running boards.

1948F-1Pickup 09-11-2019 10:17 AM

I think anything $20K or less is a good deal on that one.
I paid a tad more for my '48 with some easily fixable things
(and some not so easy)

Randy 09-11-2019 06:04 PM

Thanks everyone for your input. I spoke to the 2nd and current owner today and his story is different from the info I received from another family member. The owner knew the family that owned the truck and used to do work for them so he's the one with the most historical knowledge. Unfortunately, he says the whole truck was repainted after the fender bender decades ago. The original owners were farmers and used the truck to occasionally transport produce from Luckenbach to San Antonio and so the tops of the fenders were scratched up from loading and unloading the bed. After the fender bender they decided to repaint the truck. I do not know about the inside of the truck or the inside of the bed. I apologize for the changing story and have been around long enough to know that it must be much more closely scrutinized having been repainted especially with how trucks are typically treated when used as work vehicles. So, I am going to go see it in person in a few weeks and will update this thread at that time with lots of pics. Thanks again to all!

Ross F-1 09-11-2019 07:28 PM

Are you looking to buy or end up with a show truck? The repaint wouldn't bother me, as long as it didn't look like they did it with a towel. It protected the steel, and at least in these pics doesn't look bad. But if you want a show quality/Dearborn quality truck, you'll have to factor in the cost of a repaint.

Randy 09-11-2019 11:53 PM

No, not interested in a show truck. If it's a good, solid, clean truck under the repaint it won't bother me either. However, I was originally under the impression that it looked that good and still in original paint, so that made it very unique to me especially for a pickup. I'm just saying it needs a closer look to confirm it's condition, more so than it would need if you know it's original paint and not hiding anything.

FortyNiner 09-12-2019 02:53 AM

During a 70 year life, there are bound to be many opportunities for a variety of actions with value consequences. Absolutely be diligent with your inspection before buying any old vehicle but a decent repaint done decades ago is not a game changer. Good luck with the assessment process.

petehoovie 09-12-2019 12:18 PM

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...8&d=1568164425

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...7&d=1568164425

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...6&d=1568164425

adileo 09-12-2019 12:24 PM

That’s a very nice truck