The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Buyer beware on another repro part (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=268297)

chrs1961815 08-22-2019 01:19 PM

Buyer beware on another repro part

Just recently I repainted my horn and used all new hardware as well. Well, my horn started acting up by not stopping when the button is released. So I checked to see if the horn button was stuck or something in the light switch was buggered up with no luck. So I pull the horn motor cover, everything looks normal. Then on accident I accidently touch a screw to the motor frame and a spark happens because it shorted. I have a lightbulb moment and test my theory with the horn cover screw and it turns it out it was too long and was contacting the frame shorting out the horn and making it turn and turn. I took a few threads off and solved the problem. The screw was a repro part that was too long I guess.

alexiskai 08-22-2019 01:24 PM

Re: Buyer beware on another repro part

That exact thing happened to me with a horn cover screw I just bought a few weeks ago as part of the Bratton's "Pro Pack Sparton Horn Rebuild Kit." I thought maybe my cover was a non-standard size. I ended up just looking through my parts cubbies and finding a screw of the right size and length.

1931 flamingo 08-22-2019 01:36 PM

Known factor for a loooong time.
Paul in CT

alexiskai 08-22-2019 01:40 PM

Maybe if we all wrote to the vendors they'd stop selling it. I just thought it was something wrong with my car; if I'd known the part was faulty I would have complained.

Benson 08-22-2019 02:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
1. My Sport Coupe had a split lock washer on that screw when we got in 1962 ... it never shorted.

I could be wrong but as I remember the lock washer was captive on that screw.

Screw had rolled threads only on the bottom 1/3 of screw so washer would not fall off.

Not sure they had this setup originally.

I think that screw is still on the horn.

2. I see that Bratton's kit has a washer included according to the photo. :D :D

I wonder if they short if washer is installed?

https://www.brattons.com/pro-pack-sp...build-kit.html

UPDATE:

I guess that I remembered wrong ... no captive but does have shoulder threads and thin lock washer.

PHOTO of screw ...

SteveB31 08-22-2019 11:12 PM

Not all vendors sell the wrong screw for that application. We sell the right one and have for 40 years. Also, keep in mind many horn covers have had that screw tightened too much in the past pulling the horn motor cover in a bit making even the correct screw appear too short and cause it to short out the brush. Make sure your motor cover is flat and not pulled in around that screw.

Steve @ Bert’s

alexiskai 08-23-2019 01:12 AM

But why go to the trouble of spec'ing a shoulder bolt for this application, as Ford apparently did, and then making the threaded portion long enough that it could be screwed in far enough to contact the brush? Tightening the cover too far should be impossible, if the overall length and shoulder length of the bolt are correct.

chrs1961815 08-23-2019 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveB31 (Post 1790996)
Not all vendors sell the wrong screw for that application. We sell the right one and have for 40 years. Also, keep in mind many horn covers have had that screw tightened too much in the past pulling the horn motor cover in a bit making even the correct screw appear too short and cause it to short out the brush. Make sure your motor cover is flat and not pulled in around that screw.

Steve @ Bert’s

Good point Steve, and I believe the part in question came from Brattons. The Horn motor cover was not the problem, but I can see people tightening it way too tight like they need a seal.

alexiskai 08-23-2019 07:38 AM

Haha, I got this email this morning from Bratton's after I complained:

Quote:

Sir thank you for letting us know about this. It appears that my supplier sent us the wrong screw. We are working on getting the correct length back in stock. I'm sorry for the issue.
So there's your explanation. I'd ask for a new screw, but eh, is it worth it?

Railcarmover 08-23-2019 08:20 AM

Brattons is a quality vendor who stands behind what they sell.

chrs1961815 08-23-2019 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexiskai (Post 1791054)
Haha, I got this email this morning from Bratton's after I complained:

So there's your explanation. I'd ask for a new screw, but eh, is it worth it?

It is a little screw that can be fixed with a little editing. Not worth the trouble for such a small part other than giving them feedback.

Benson 08-23-2019 10:55 AM

The purpose of specifying the shoulder screw in the first place is so that the screw bottoms out BEFORE it can be tightened too much to bend the cover and/or short out.

The correct screw is not a simple big box screw without a shoulder.

alexiskai 08-23-2019 12:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I should add that the screw pictured below, from Bratton's, appears to have the correct amount of shoulder vs thread – the problem was that the screw they shipped me and chrs1961815 is not this screw.

rocket1 08-24-2019 06:43 AM

I had the same problem awhile back,bought it from Brattons but never complained.

Ted Duke 08-24-2019 09:41 AM

Sounds like the vendor responded correctly WHEN notified.

Ted

eagle 08-24-2019 09:56 AM

Sometimes a person is asked to use their own thinking a bit when repairing things. A simple careful look is all that's needed. Where I used to work as an electronics service tech we referred disparagingly to the "parts replacers" vs the technician. We are lucky to have the parts available for our 90+ year old cars that we have. Use your head, yes some parts need a little reworking, some maybe more than that but at least they are reasonable priced and widely available.

BRENT in 10-uh-C 08-24-2019 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ted Duke (Post 1791430)
Sounds like the vendor responded correctly WHEN notified.

Ted

Quote:

Originally Posted by eagle (Post 1791432)
Sometimes a person is asked to use their own thinking a bit when repairing things. A simple careful look is all that's needed.

Very true statements!

chrs1961815 08-24-2019 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eagle (Post 1791432)
Sometimes a person is asked to use their own thinking a bit when repairing things. A simple careful look is all that's needed. Where I used to work as an electronics service tech we referred disparagingly to the "parts replacers" vs the technician. We are lucky to have the parts available for our 90+ year old cars that we have. Use your head, yes some parts need a little reworking, some maybe more than that but at least they are reasonable priced and widely available.

Don't want to step on anyone's toes, but I just wanted to let everybody know that the screw was too long and could cause this problem. That is all. I bought the screw because my old one was not satisfactory; trust me, whenever an original part is useable, I use it.