The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Answers to questions here telling them to look in club mag. (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=239486)

redmodelt 02-19-2018 11:53 AM

Answers to questions here telling them to look in club mag.

I do not want to make this sound like people should NOT join one of the national clubs or their local club, I think it is a good idea to join one. People asking questions and only getting a reply to look in an issue of one of the club mags, lots of people are not members of ether club and if they are, may not have copies of back issues, is not helping get the needed info to the person. If you know the info answer the question and if it was covered in one of the mags, great, add that info as a sidebar.

Same with the JS, if you can take time to answer the question telling someone to look in the JS you have time to answer the question. I think the JS are a great tool, esp for people doing points cars or really striving to return their car to how it was from the factory and should have a copy but for the average owner that has a question here and there, Fordbarn is a great source of help.

MickeyT 02-19-2018 12:12 PM

Re: Answers to questions here telling them to look in club mag.

Also before you tell someone to look in one of Les Adrews books. Make sure the answer is there.

Bill Pursel 02-19-2018 12:30 PM

I agree...they are asking us for help...lets help not try and sell them books!

Charlie Stephens 02-19-2018 12:40 PM

I agree 100%. I am in both clubs but I have trouble finding back issues. I have another similar gripe. When people reference another site like HAMB or EBAY they don't give the exact address. All they have to do is to copy it from the address bar and paste it into their post. Sometimes I think something sounds interesting but probably not worth the time trying to find it.

Charlie Stephens

700rpm 02-19-2018 01:19 PM

I don’t agree with this. Directing someone to valid source material is a good way to make certain a person gets all the information they need. If they can access the net they can access the archives in the national club files, which are vast. And serious Model A owners should own and read the Judging Standards and the Ford Service Bulletins. A copy of the owner’s manual is also necessary reading. Those three books alone can answer many of the questions that are repeatedly asked here, and they are readily available and can be purchased for less than $100.

If someone is directed to one of the How To Restore books, those are also available individually for only $15 each, so a guy can buy what he needs without laying out cash for the whole set.

A good library is essential to having a comfortable working knowledge of your car, and accurate detailed information is available right on your bookshelf.

There are questions that can also be readily and easily answered on sites like FB, and the camaraderie is fun, but I think referring guys to source material and letting them do their own research is a valid response.

J Franklin 02-19-2018 02:33 PM

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give him the fishing pole and he can thrive. I agree, directing others to good reference perpetuates the ability to expand and to further the knowledgeability of our hobby.

Purdy Swoft 02-19-2018 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MickeyT (Post 1595121)
Also before you tell someone to look in one of Les Adrews books. Make sure the answer is there.

Or even a correct answer !!!

JBill 02-19-2018 03:00 PM

If somebody with a problem should just be referred to Les Andrews or the Judging Standards or the Service Bulletins or the Ford Barn archives, then what's the use of this board? No one is required to respond to an inquiry. If you resent having to do it, don't do it.

bbrocksr 02-19-2018 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBill (Post 1595200)
If somebody with a problem should just be referred to Les Andrews or the Judging Standards or the Service Bulletins or the Ford Barn archives, then what's the use of this board? No one is required to respond to an inquiry. If you resent having to do it, don't do it.

Best answer!

slammin 02-19-2018 03:16 PM

All good comments in this thread. I agree that someone owning and working on a Model A should have most of the reference books mentioned, just as anyone maintaining their newer (at least up until the mid 90s) vehicle should have a set of factory shop manuals. Most of the questions asked have already been answered here. So one should initiate a search first. Although search tends to bring up a lot of unrelated threads. That said, those of us with knowledge should be willing to share that information. Nothing discourages a new member like being told to go look it up yourself. If you don't have time to be helpful, how do you have time to read a thread in the first place?

BILL WILLIAMSON 02-19-2018 03:18 PM

Get EVERY Parts Suppliers' CATALOGS! With specifications, exploded views, etc, they're ALMOST like a SHOP MANUAL!
Bill Reading

Y-Blockhead 02-19-2018 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON (Post 1595211)
Get EVERY Parts Suppliers' CATALOGS! With specifications, exploded views, etc, they're ALMOST like a SHOP MANUAL!
Bill Reading

Even some online catalogs give specs, thread sizes and other info... https://www.macsautoparts.com/ford_m...model-a-specs/

Larry Jenkins 02-19-2018 04:01 PM

If a person is not absolutely sure of an answer, I see nothing wrong with suggesting they look in published responses.

That's where the term "weekend experts" was coined. Which would you rather have?

Mike V. Florida 02-19-2018 05:37 PM

Telling people that the answer is in publications only shows the advantage of either buying the books or joining the clubs.

Goldhardt 02-19-2018 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBill (Post 1595200)

I agree 100%. If you're tired of answering the same old questions, maybe it's time for YOU to move on. I'm sure every possible question has already been asked and answered about Model A's on this site over the years. Did anyone ever consider that some people might enjoy talking to others who share their same interests through this forum instead of just looking up answers in books and archives? This forum provides more than just direct answers to questions, it also helps provide and promote a fellowship among people who enjoy Model A Fords.

Gary WA 02-19-2018 05:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
When I answer a question my first attempt is to locate the correct answer,in my Model a Library then post,with photo or location of where i got the information.

Pinesdune 02-19-2018 07:55 PM

All I’m going to add into this discussion is I wish the major books (Les Andrews, judging standards, etc) were available for digital download, be nice to have them that way for easy reference and not have a shelf full of books to store , or have to pay shipping costs out the wazzoo every time I’m told to get “this” book

Tom Wesenberg 02-19-2018 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinesdune (Post 1595325)
All I’m going to add into this discussion is I wish the major books (Les Andrews, judging standards, etc) were available for digital download, be nice to have them that way for easy reference and not have a shelf full of books to store , or have to pay shipping costs out the wazzoo every time I’m told to get “this” book

That could kill the sales of the books, but I like to have books, so I'd still buy them.

Pinesdune 02-19-2018 08:18 PM

Answers to questions here telling them to look in club mag.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg (Post 1595330)
That could kill the sales of the books, but I like to have books, so I'd still buy them.

You’re right it could, but it also may sell more copies, and for the books I always use I prefer a hard copy too, but books like the JS would be nicer in digital then if there’s an update, just download it and use rather than spend days sorting pages like I did the last update they did

J Franklin 02-19-2018 08:36 PM

When I answer a question e.g. what is the ignition point gap? I will answer .018-.022, but I know that trying to time the A without good reference leads to more posts from a frustrated Model A owner. It is a courtesy to suggest collecting and reading a few manuals to a novice owner. This forum always gives the answer, if is not one you like there will be more in time.