The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Trunk to luggage rack bolt or straps. (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=273149)

37 Coupe 11-24-2019 08:09 PM

Trunk to luggage rack bolt or straps.

Do most of you who have a luggage rack and trunk use the leather straps to attach or go to a more secure bolting it in place?

jw hash 11-24-2019 08:55 PM

Re: Trunk to luggage rack bolt or straps.

I`m use both, i have my trunk bolted down and I have leather straps on it to.

Herb Concord Ca 11-24-2019 09:46 PM

Ditto, I use both bolts and the leather straps

Conaway2 11-25-2019 07:54 AM

Mine is held onto the luggage rack with 4 carriage bolts.

kenparker 11-25-2019 08:37 AM

Drove a friends sport coupe with bolted
ed trunk on he back. It rattled. If it were mine I would add the straps to stop the rattle.

Floats 11-25-2019 01:59 PM

I use both on my 29 Chevy

37 Coupe 11-25-2019 04:46 PM

Bolts and straps it is. Already four holes in the luggage rack that will allow 5/16". Thanks all.

Bob-A 11-26-2019 06:59 AM

I've heard of horror stories of people that only use the straps...:eek: So, I use at least the 4 bolts;)

Bob-A:D

JOHN CT 11-26-2019 09:07 AM

Well that pretty well sums it up. I use both I thought I was going a little overboard. But I see everyone here did it to.:D

Glen in Hillman MI 11-26-2019 04:46 PM

I use the 4 bolts - flat washer’s on the inside and lock nut’s outside with all the extra threads cut off.

John Dayhuff 11-26-2019 05:53 PM

For the last 50+ years that I know of my Phaeton has only had two straps is all. I did however replace them last summer with new ones but I roughed them up to make them look old again instead of having shiny black ones on a 90 year old car. The old ones were pretty rotted and just no good. I think the straps are just fine, it's not like I'm doing any burn outs or going off roading in this car.....LOL.

whirnot 11-26-2019 06:26 PM

Guess it's just John and I. Mine are just straps. I like to take it off the roadster from time to time, just to change the look. And we have actually used it as a trunk to carry our clothes on a Tour to the Stanley Hotel. Just popped in on the Bell Cart. Redrum......

7_Zero 11-27-2019 01:34 AM

Just straps here too, so far no problems. Even gone strapless a couple of times by accident, thankfully the trunk stayed put. Debated on using bolts too, but have to remove the trunk to access the spare. Since I have a reputation of getting flats while on tour, I will probably just stick to the straps.

al's28/33 11-27-2019 09:17 AM

I only use the two straps with a left over piece of rubber floor mat as a cushion. With all the weight of extra parts inside and the fact I don't drive over 45 and never off-road there's no need for the bolts.

Dick Carne 12-11-2019 09:59 PM

To your initial question, I have used both carriage bolts as well as straps on the two cars that I have with trunks. However, perhaps a good follow-up question would be to ask if your trunk will sit out over the rear bumper(s), or have you used a bumper extension to ensure that the trunk is still "protected" by the bumper? I have bumper extensions on both of mine that have trunks, and personally feel at least some slight relief in providing a little more protection to the trunk itself. A couple of years back a young lady ran into the back of our Town Sedan ... but for the bumper extensions, I am of the opinion that the damages would have been far greater. Just something else to think about.

Bob Bidonde 12-13-2019 10:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I solved the problems with a trunk this way!

Herb Concord Ca 12-13-2019 02:03 PM

We have couple in our club that do the same as Bob, they bungie cord a suitcase to the luggage rack on over night tours.