The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Fuel shut off (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=271160)

Leatherback 57 10-19-2019 10:13 AM

Fuel shut off

My fuel tank has no rust shiny clean and has screen on shutoff but after several month it starts to leak past . I've replaced at least 3. Buy from Snyder's and other vendors as well. Same valve. Is it the Ethenol in fuel?? Anyone else have this problem?

Badpuppy 10-19-2019 10:51 AM

Re: Fuel shut off

If it leaks at the shaft, you should be able to remove the handle and tighten the packing nut to seal it back up. Works for most all valves. New valves often need this done after wear-in.

Leatherback 57 10-19-2019 11:18 AM

Leaky fuel to carb. Tried to take apart one of the valves and are not repairable like the old ones???

Purdy Swoft 10-19-2019 11:49 AM

Packing is also available for the original cut off valves . I overhauled the original cut off valve with new packing and it doesn't leak a drop .

duke36 10-19-2019 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leatherback 57 (Post 1811285)
My fuel tank has no rust shiny clean and has screen on shutoff but after several month it starts to leak past . I've replaced at least 3. Buy from Snyder's and other vendors as well. Same valve. Is it the Ethenol in fuel?? Anyone else have this problem?

Yup; not for show, but get rid of the orig. style and use a new modern lever ball valve cut into the gas line with compression fittings. If inside valve, don't want fuel inside the car. Suggest also to replace the valve also with a direct 90 deg fitting at the tank.

Tom Endy 10-19-2019 04:13 PM

I believe that they all leak through after any amount of use. I have replaced the indented firewall fuel valve three times and it still leaks through.

Where do I find the modern ball valve that fits the firewall?

Tom Endy

wmws 10-19-2019 04:17 PM

I have had the same trouble. The last three I got from the vendor leaked right out of the box. I sent them back for free replacement and finally got one that doesn't leak at least for now about 6 months.

Fhane 10-19-2019 05:39 PM

Try Amazon. 3/8 mini ball valve.

CarlG 10-19-2019 09:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Endy (Post 1811426)
I believe that they all leak through after any amount of use. I have replaced the indented firewall fuel valve three times and it still leaks through.

Tom Endy

Not your "original" set-up, but I bought the ball valve from Amazon. (It also has an electric shut-off just downhill from the filter.)

duke36 10-19-2019 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Endy (Post 1811426)

Tom Endy

I get my 90 deg from Ace Hardware, Amazon, MSC DIRECT, or similar with viton seal. Recollection it's 1/8" MINI with compression and assorted brass fittings to connect after the filter. Check on line.

Ernie Vitucci 10-20-2019 12:07 PM

Good Morning...You can also find the 1/4 turn ball valve shut off in the Bratton's 2019 catalogue on page 61. $61.05. It connects to a standard shut off which you install and never touch again...Ernie in Arizona