The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Child Safety (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=243370)

TJ97tim 04-27-2018 11:59 AM

Child Safety

Who takes small children in the back of their Tudors or Fordors?

Do you use a lap belt for them? Has anyone fitted a car seat?

Or does taking your infant/toddler in your Model A make you Satan?

Thanks!

RJV 04-27-2018 02:02 PM

Re: Child Safety

It's been years ago but I did install seat belts front and back in a '30 Tudor and used a car seat with the rear belts.

Keith True 04-27-2018 02:27 PM

According to some it's a wonder any of us are alive.I pile em in the rumble seat and go,same as when I was a kid.I put em on the back of a motorcycle and go too,same as when I was a kid.

Bill G 04-27-2018 03:09 PM

It's something to consider for sure. I am really considering getting seat belts for all seats of the Tudor. Even though most of my driving is very localized and not freeway driving, I still think it would be a good idea. Not only do I want a little more safety, I do have grand kids that I would not want to be injured in my car just because Henry didn't put them there for me.

On another note, I only drive mine about once a week at the most. I am still reaching over my left shoulder for the imaginary seat belt when I get in. Just habit.

michael a 04-27-2018 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith True (Post 1622901)
According to some it's a wonder any of us are alive.I pile em in the rumble seat and go,same as when I was a kid.I put em on the back of a motorcycle and go too,same as when I was a kid.

Isn't that the truth how on Earth do we still have a civilization I don't know how I live this long without seatbelts bicycle helmets skateboard padding and all that other crap

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Keith True 04-27-2018 04:20 PM

I very seldom got on a main highway with an A,and even less now.I'm thinking about playing with old Volkswagens again.I do find them to be more highway friendly.I had dozens of them when I was young,to me they were like A's.I like the old ones though,I never owned a 12 volt VW,or any bigger than 40 HP.

Chuck Sea/Tac 04-27-2018 05:45 PM

It’s the LAW children are required to be restrained regardless of when the vehicle was manufactured.

Keith True 04-27-2018 06:02 PM

It's not the law in N.H.Pre-68 is exempt.Tractors,motorcycles,and parade cars with an average of 5 MPH or less are also exempt.I carry a copy of the RSA in my cars.

dr.j 04-28-2018 05:18 AM

Seat Belts and the Law in Ontario, CANADA

Ontario’s Highway Traffic Act (HTA) doesn’t require vehicle owners to install seatbelts into vehicles not originally manufactured with such. However, please note the information below.

It is not clear what is meant by “classic cars”. However, section 9 and 10 of Ontario Regulation 613 provides some exceptions to the above-noted requirements under S.106 HTA for older vehicles and those originally manufactured without seatbelts.
Section 10 provides an exemption for drivers and passengers from wearing a seat belt if a motor vehicle was manufactured without seat belt assemblies for each seating position and the vehicle was not modified to include seatbelt assemblies.

In the case of child passengers, this exemption doesn’t exempt a driver from his or her obligation to ensure that a young child passenger, under age 8, is secured using the prescribed child car seat restraint or booster seat system. Drivers are legally obligated to ensure that these young child passengers are secured in the appropriate child car seat restraint or booster seat system.

This exemption however, allows that the drivers don’t have to ensure that older children, between the ages of 8 and 16 years, are secured with a seatbelt assembly if the vehicle wasn’t manufactured with them.

chap52 04-28-2018 06:53 AM

Seat belts work. We spend so much time "not wanting to be told what to do" that we sometimes overlook safety.
In the old days a pickup bed was a passenger compartment. Was it fun, yep!, Was it safe, probably not.

W.C. Fields was asked, "Have you ever read the Bible?" His response was, "Yes, several times, looking for loopholes."

Tom Wesenberg 04-28-2018 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith True (Post 1622901)

I do the same as Keith. It's no good to worry yourself to death.

Lona 04-28-2018 09:32 AM

YES to the installation of lap and shoulder belts in any Model A style. There are many threads on the forum for those wanting help on how to do it.

Glen

Chuck Sea/Tac 04-28-2018 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith True (Post 1622954)
It's not the law in N.H.Pre-68 is exempt.Tractors,motorcycles,and parade cars with an average of 5 MPH or less are also exempt.I carry a copy of the RSA in my cars.

Cars are exempt, but are children ? Washington state law requires restraints for children regardless of yom.

Big hammer 04-28-2018 12:48 PM

Most accidents occur within 30 miles of home and at speeds less than 30 mph.
Major accidents happen when AH’s driving 30mph above posted speeds.
Be careful out there it’s dangerous!

Keith True 04-28-2018 12:59 PM

The children are exempt,paragraph II in the law explains the exemption.I've had the law try to tell me there are no exemptions for children,that is why I carry a copy of it with me.Now they all seem to know about it,back a few years ago the changes to the law were not published with it,they are printed in other places altogether.For a long time it seemed like they were quoting law that was just often repeated rumor.I do think seat belts are a great idea,and I've installed a lot of them for people with old cars.I put them in my wifes MGTD kitcar for the grandkids,for some reason she doesn't seem to care about them in the A.

pbishop 04-28-2018 10:57 PM

Have used 'lap belt' in rumble seat for years now, but I made a heavy padded insert to fit into top of rain gutter. Teenagers loved to be picked up at school and drive through town.

Use to put toddler in child car seat in rear seat of Model T Touring held in with lap belt - while this was out in the country I did drive into town traffic. Had taken the child in a Mardi Gras parade before, so when traffic would back up behind the 35 mph Model T, child would begin to shout PARADE, PARADE - that was my signal to pull over and let the traffic go by. We still laugh about it today. On second thought I would not do it today as traffic has greatly increased and what once were two lane roads nearby are now four-lanes.

TJ97tim 04-29-2018 07:27 AM

I think I got the answer. Lap belt and child seat it is!

burner31 04-29-2018 08:16 AM

7 Attachment(s)
Sunday funny's

Lona 04-29-2018 08:52 AM

For those thinking about installing padding on the rain gutter in the rumble seat like pbishop's post above, using a kid swimming noodle and slit so it fits over the rail works well. It's easy to install and remove so you can close the lid.

Glen

ChicagoBob 04-29-2018 10:32 AM

Baby seats are designed for modern cars with firm seat cushions. On a early Ford's spring and horsehair cushion, they wobble and sway all over. It's probably safer to use just a lap belt.