The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   New Revised 1933-34 Ford Book (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=220949)

34fordy 05-17-2017 09:11 PM

New Revised 1933-34 Ford Book

Does anyone have any info when the revised 33/34 Ford book will be completed and available? Thank you.

DavidG 05-18-2017 04:37 AM

Re: New Revised 1933-34 Ford Book

The work is still in the research and photo gathering phase so it is likely several years years before publication. It is not a revision, but rather a clean piece of paper effort.

jimTN 05-18-2017 07:53 AM

Was the original bad enough to do a new one or is this a lot of new stuff. I have the original and have noted some descriptions that could have been better.

TonyM 05-18-2017 08:49 AM

I have all the EFV-8 Club books. I really enjoyed reading them. They are valuable reference books. Additionally, I am a published history/reference book author (my work has been in print for over ten years). That being said---My only complaint about the EFV-8 Club books is the lack of a standardized format.

JM 35 Sedan 05-18-2017 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimTN (Post 1474054)
Was the original bad enough to do a new one or is this a lot of new stuff. I have the original and have noted some descriptions that could have been better.

...and I was wondering the same thing. Although it has probably been a good while, it seems like I just bought my copy of the last "new" '33-'34 book. I'm surprised the V-8 Club is not putting some resources toward getting some books written and published on the light commercial early Ford V-8 vehicles from '32 to '53.

DavidG 05-18-2017 12:19 PM

The new one will cover all of the vehicle types, passenger cars, commercial vehicles, and big trucks. It will also be international in scope with a full chapter devoted to the unique Australian vehicles. Its focus will be material from Ford's engineering and other archives.

As for format consistency, according to the new technical guidelines adopted by the Club's Board of Directors earlier this year, all future new books will follow either the format of the current '32 book or that of the current '35-'36 book.

Karl Wescott 05-18-2017 03:24 PM

David, and all others involved in the V8 Club books, THANK YOU!

VeryTangled 05-18-2017 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karl Wescott (Post 1474270)
David, and all others involved in the V8 Club books, THANK YOU!

What he said!!

JM 35 Sedan 05-18-2017 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidG (Post 1474200)
The new one will cover all of the vehicle types, passenger cars, commercial vehicles, and big trucks. It will also be international in scope with a full chapter devoted to the unique Australian vehicles. Its focus will be material from Ford's engineering and other archives.

As for format consistency, according to the new technical guidelines adopted by the Club's Board of Directors earlier this year, all future new books will follow either the format of the current '32 book or that of the current '35-'36 book.

David, this all sounds good, very comprehensive, and makes sense. Maybe the other Early Ford V-8 Club Books will follow this same type of revision.

DavidG 05-18-2017 10:58 PM

John,

The challenge for the Club is that willing, qualified people are a seemingly scarce commodity. Club's don't write books and committees don't write books. It takes one or a few to step up in concert with equally willing and qualified individuals skilled in photo preparation and print layout to bring a technical book to print.

It isn't always a lot of fun along the way and it is very easy to underestimate what's required in the way of time and effort. Mystery writers aren't overly burdened by the necessity for documentation or having to provide lots of photos to illustrate their message. (They have to have other creative qualities, however, which blessedly are not required of technical book writers; I am in awe of authors who can knock out excellent 400 page novels year after year.)

restoman 05-19-2017 10:25 PM

I have read and read again and have greatly enjoyed all of the Club's books. I would like to say a big thank you to all who have created them. The 40 book is a little light but even it is a great resource. Without these documented volumes there could be no way we could all agree what is correct. I can't imagine any restorer or enthusiast not having them. Thanks again, PHIL