The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   National Meets same date (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=226418)

quickchange 08-09-2017 03:48 PM

National Meets same date

Why would the two National clubs MARC & MAFCA hold their National meets on the same dates?? :( A large contingent from NZ ( members) planned to attend both ,now that can,t happen, :mad: This is stupid, I raised this at a board meeting years ago with MAFCA about regional meets clashing & was assured it would be addressed which I believe has happened, Now its National meets ,Same dates in June 2018, If a week apart then overseas members of which pay their dues could attend both ?Australia & New Zealand put theirs on on alternate years so as not too clash, :) Hello America this could be some of your international problems ???? Your thoughts please,

msmaron 08-09-2017 03:52 PM

Re: National Meets same date

one of the issues as in Branson in 2018 was the time that it was available to book hotels and get a block of 400 rooms at one time, Being that it is a major tourist location things book up very very fast, There was 1 week and 1 week only that they were able to get the hotel and reserve 400 rooms, That might not seem like a major issue but it is and was. Hence we had no other choice but to book the hotel that week when it was available. Sorry for the issue this has caused you.

Seth Swoboda 08-09-2017 04:06 PM

My though is that the Model A clubs should consolidate and become one club. You don't have two Early Ford V8 Clubs. I'm not a member of either Model A club anymore. I don't have a problem with either club, I just found the EFV8 club events to be a lot of fun so I focused on that one club. Since I'm working and have a family I don't have time for all of the events but someday hope to attend more of them.

msmaron 08-09-2017 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda (Post 1510919)
My though is that the Model A clubs should consolidate and become one club.

That subject is dead and burried and has been hashed over as much as what type of oil to use in a model a ...LOL!!! won't happen, they done want it to happen, and don't ever see that happening.. they were at one time and that was a long time ago.. It is what it is!!! No reason to hash it over again... The meets conflict and it is too bad for many of us but it is what it is....sorry there is a tremendous amount to coordinate in national meet and none of us are getting any younger...

Larry Jenkins 08-09-2017 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msmaron (Post 1510924)
That subject is dead and burried and has been hashed over as much as what type of oil to use in a model a ...LOL!!! won't happen, they done want it to happen, and don't ever see that happening.. they were at one time and that was a long time ago.. It is what it is!!! No reason to hash it over again... The meets conflict and it is too bad for many of us but it is what it is....sorry there is a tremendous amount to coordinate in national meet and none of us are getting any younger...

BS. There is NOTHING that can't be changed.

msmaron 08-09-2017 04:19 PM

Quote:

My though is that the Model A clubs should consolidate and become one club. You don't have two Early Ford V8 Clubs. I'm not a member of either Model A club anymore. I don't have a problem with either club, I just found the EFV8 club events to be a lot of fun so I focused on that one club. Since I'm working and have a family I don't have time for all of the events but someday hope to attend more of them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Jenkins (Post 1510928)
BS. There is NOTHING that can't be changed.

your missing the point....they don't want it changed!

quickchange 08-09-2017 05:06 PM

But they can talk too one another, no excuse , as for booking venues all must know their dates years in advance which allows the booking venues way in advance . , Someone cocked up & gave no thought to its members, Make sure it does not happen again , As MAFCA put their dates out early then we will go that way , Disappointing. hence the rave.

msmaron 08-09-2017 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quickchange (Post 1510951)
But they can talk too one another, no excuse , as for booking venues all must know their dates years in advance which allows the booking venues way in advance . , Someone cocked up & gave no thought to its members, Make sure it does not happen again , As MAFCA put their dates out early then we will go that way , Disappointing. hence the rave.

Another issue is its getting harder to have clubs step up to host a meet, and then when they do the dates they want conflict.. I know its too bad it is this way in 2018.....

daveymc29 08-09-2017 06:13 PM

I was shocked to find they are the same time. There is no real reason other than short sighted planning, that I can think of. If these things were set up four to six years in advance this issue could be avoided, it seems to me. As far as one club, good luck with that one. Once in one is in power it is awfully tough to let go of that power. Also the older we get, it appears to me. the more we know what is good for the other guy. Maybe not us, but best for them thar whipper snappers.

msmaron 08-09-2017 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveymc29 (Post 1510995)
I was shocked to find they are the same time. There is no real reason other than short sighted planning, that I can think of. If these things were set up four to six years in advance this issue could be avoided, it seems to me. As far as one club, good luck with that one. Once in one is in power it is awfully tough to let go of that power. Also the older we get, it appears to me. the more we know what is good for the other guy. Maybe not us, but best for them thar whipper snappers.

DAVE... good point but try to get a club to plan 6 years in advance...NOT A CHANCE AT ALL!!! that is one of the problems the clubs are getting older.. Branson only found a region 4 months ago to host....its easy to say but not easy to do......

Boston Bruce 08-09-2017 09:00 PM

Here's an idea...MARC should give up having a national meet every year and instead go to every other year. MAFCA could do even years and MARC odd years.

Of course, this idea would require that the two clubs talk to each other more often. Good luck with that.

quickchange 08-09-2017 11:37 PM

Thanks for all the private messages of support on this, , MAYBE just MAYBE as Bruce has suggest the answer,? We do a national meet here every two years ,here , granted its smaller but a club puts its bid in 4YEARS in advance having done their home work 1st Not 6 months out , MAFCA had their dates out for very long time & MARC just didn't give a diddly squat .
Lets all talk & work together for the future of the hobby, & ensure meets don,t clash. End of story.

larrys40 08-10-2017 01:39 AM

Quote:

Seth,
I'm probably going to get some blowback here but having been a member of each for 35 plus years both Marc, Mafca , and early V8 national including local groups I can say that the emphasis is totally on the judging at the v8 meets and the A nationals are a little more diverse, albeit different between them. Due to the difference in philosophy there will probably never be a combined A national but then I'm good with that as it gives me choices off events. MArc has realized that the touring group is a large percentage but still keeps the importance of fine point and correct 'restoration whereas mafcas events are more touring related typically and are a little more forgiving . To all of their credits I think the best touring thing they have all done is to do the Annual Tours . We have attended and have had some wonderful times.

Now for my slant on A vs V8 national . Having been to a number of nationals of both I can honestly say that the A meets a way more fun for touring and fun overall than the V8 meets . Both A clubs strive to include youth way more and the V8 virtually has nothing for the younger folks or family natured events.
Having just attended Gettysburg where I saw an ice 32 B Tudor there I complimented the attendee on his car. There are many of us for one reason or another or by choice we bring something else occasionally as opposed to nothing or not attending. Could be car is ib process ... etc .
I will never forget when I attended a grand national in Dearborn that my 48 coupe wasn't finished so I drive my 66 Tbird from St. Louis instead but parles it out in modern car parking which is what it was . I was asked rather impolitely if it had a flathead under the hood and i said no that I was to then get that "expletive" car out of here . Wow... what a welcome . You would never here that at a Model a meet. Just different folks . Having attended a number of V8 nationals around the country I usually Go planning to enjoy the sights of the areas and seminars. Their seminars and events etc are pretty self centered around judging and honestly I've said this several times and not meaning any disrespect, but I've never seen so many crabby old men at one time at some of the V8 meets. I've been a judge at both and at the branson V8 meet I remember they had 8 guys judging at the same thing for judging. I won't go into the favor and behavior of the deputy judge. No thanks. I was done with that. Now I'm 56 and had a 46 coupe at 17.. so you think the V8 would be glad to see someone younger involved ... but in my experience that's not the case. In my opinion they are going to need to at one point sell their car to someone possibly younger than them so you would think .....?

I still entertain going to a V8 national but honestly before I spend my money and time off I have to ask which ines more fun as it's my vacation!!!

I know I threw a lot out there but I really enjoy both marque cars and have done all the jobs at the local groups but honestly our A group locally and nationally is more active and event and touring minded. Whatever it's worth I'm good with the two A clubs being separate but do wish they would work together to coordinate their key events more, and I wish the V8 national would get their head out of the sand and be more family and cultivating to encouraging youth instead of discouraging . Who knows ... if they have a V8 meet where I might want to go I'm at give it a shot . I'm rolling the dice about a good time where I know the A gang is awesome all the time.

Larry Shepard

TerryO 08-10-2017 08:48 AM

I am a member of MARC, MAFCA, MAFFI, AACA, SAAC, and MCA and I can appreciate all the clubs although they all serve a different purpose. I also feel that the Model A meets are more fun than the others and I try to choose a meet that may be closer or a location I would enjoy seeing. (no offense intended). I think the younger generation is welcome at all these and in Gettysburg I observed quite a several young folks as well as young families driving A's.

TerryO

Jeff/Illinois 08-10-2017 10:03 AM

I agree wholeheartedly with TerryO, I too have been a member of MARC, MAFCA, Early Ford V-8 Club, AACA, and the MCA and have attended SAAC meets with friends.

Out of all of that, NO ONE compares to the friendliness of MARC and MAFCA folks there is NO comparison. Model A people are ten times friendlier and family oriented than the others I mentioned. The Model A Clubs are a LOT more fun to be with. Hands down.

SAAC and MCA--- talk about conceited people whoo-boy:eek::eek: I bailed out of mingling with them years ago. It was ridiculous how they treated people it was a total turn off.

As Henry Ford famously told a reporter one time when asked 'why' he didn't play golf..... Henry replied "It's not the actual game of golf I dislike as much as it is the ostentatious people who play it."

THAT says it all on this subject:):)

denis4x4 08-10-2017 10:06 AM

Without casting aspersions, I'm curious to know if there is a line of communication between the clubs to consider issues like this. Another thing not mentioned is the timeline for setting dates for national meets. I'm been involved in similar event planning projects and projecting dates a minimum of three years out is par for the course. This gives all parties a chance to avoid conflicts.

Ernie Vitucci 08-10-2017 10:22 AM

Good Morning all...After reading all of the above, I wonder how many Model A lovers belong to both national clubs? I know I do. Is the overlap 5% or 25%? It also sounds like quite a few members like to go to both national meets. Ernie

Seth Swoboda 08-10-2017 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larrys40 (Post 1511179)
Seth,
I'm probably going to get some blowback here but having been a member of each for 35 plus years both Marc, Mafca , and early V8 national including local groups I can say that the emphasis is totally on the judging at the v8 meets and the A nationals are a little more diverse, albeit different between them. Due to the difference in philosophy there will probably never be a combined A national but then I'm good with that as it gives me choices off events. MArc has realized that the touring group is a large percentage but still keeps the importance of fine point and correct 'restoration whereas mafcas events are more touring related typically and are a little more forgiving . To all of their credits I think the best touring thing they have all done is to do the Annual Tours . We have attended and have had some wonderful times.

Now for my slant on A vs V8 national . Having been to a number of nationals of both I can honestly say that the A meets a way more fun for touring and fun overall than the V8 meets . Both A clubs strive to include youth way more and the V8 virtually has nothing for the younger folks or family natured events.
Having just attended Gettysburg where I saw an ice 32 B Tudor there I complimented the attendee on his car. There are many of us for one reason or another or by choice we bring something else occasionally as opposed to nothing or not attending. Could be car is ib process ... etc .
I will never forget when I attended a grand national in Dearborn that my 48 coupe wasn't finished so I drive my 66 Tbird from St. Louis instead but parles it out in modern car parking which is what it was . I was asked rather impolitely if it had a flathead under the hood and i said no that I was to then get that "expletive" car out of here . Wow... what a welcome . You would never here that at a Model a meet. Just different folks . Having attended a number of V8 nationals around the country I usually Go planning to enjoy the sights of the areas and seminars. Their seminars and events etc are pretty self centered around judging and honestly I've said this several times and not meaning any disrespect, but I've never seen so many crabby old men at one time at some of the V8 meets. I've been a judge at both and at the branson V8 meet I remember they had 8 guys judging at the same thing for judging. I won't go into the favor and behavior of the deputy judge. No thanks. I was done with that. Now I'm 56 and had a 46 coupe at 17.. so you think the V8 would be glad to see someone younger involved ... but in my experience that's not the case. In my opinion they are going to need to at one point sell their car to someone possibly younger than them so you would think .....?

I still entertain going to a V8 national but honestly before I spend my money and time off I have to ask which ines more fun as it's my vacation!!!

I know I threw a lot out there but I really enjoy both marque cars and have done all the jobs at the local groups but honestly our A group locally and nationally is more active and event and touring minded. Whatever it's worth I'm good with the two A clubs being separate but do wish they would work together to coordinate their key events more, and I wish the V8 national would get their head out of the sand and be more family and cultivating to encouraging youth instead of discouraging . Who knows ... if they have a V8 meet where I might want to go I'm at give it a shot . I'm rolling the dice about a good time where I know the A gang is awesome all the time.

Larry Shepard

Larry,
I appreciate your posting. I have never been to a national Model A club meet. I too wish the EFV8 club would work at drawing in younger folks. As you know I'm 37 years old. I've had my Model A since I was 17. I'm an anomaly from that stand point and have always had an interest in both Model A's and V8's. I have attended four national V8 meets and I have always had a good time. When I bring a car I enter in the touring class. I have also made some really good friends in the V8 club in John Mason, Glenn Sanders and Jeff Horrocks, just to name a few. Over all I have found the V8 club guys to be very welcoming. There are always a few crab apples but they don't bother me.

I'd like to get some input in what the Model A clubs are doing to attract a younger and family oriented group. I like to drive the cars and I'm not hung up on just the concourse show. Working on these automobiles and driving them is what I enjoy the most. It sounds to me like the V8 club can learn from the Model A clubs. If I had the time I'd attend both and all of them. Someday I will.

BILL WILLIAMSON 08-10-2017 03:31 PM

Reminds me of the saying, "Don't worry about a thing, EVERYDAY'S a HOLIDAY"!
It's a proven fact, SOMEWHERE in the WORLD, every day IS a HOLIDAY!
Bill Happy

dean from bozeman 08-10-2017 05:32 PM

For those considering hosting a national Model A meet consider that the Gettysburg Meet, that was as good as any that I have been to, was coordinated by a group of 6 people. It doesn't take a club of a hundred to run a meet. Yes, the group of six did have a team of volunteers but the point is that it can be done by a smaller club.

If more clubs would consider hosting an event then it wouldn't be a relatively last minute run to get available rooms, venues, etc.

As for 2018, the MAFCA meet in Reno is closer and I might be helping a friend get his car there. The MARC meet in Branson will be attended by more of my buddies in the hobby. I will miss out either way.

As for an eventual merger of the two clubs...I tire of the Pepsi-Coke, Chevy-Ford, MAFCA-MARC, Fine Point-Touring and other such dichotomies. The World MAFCA/MARC meets and the common judging standards committee are two ways in which the clubs work together. Perhaps in the future they will come together. Let's keep working together and resist growing apart.