The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   SLOW starter (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=258785)

Rustyscrap 02-05-2019 06:01 PM

SLOW starter

The starter in my '31 PU gave up the ghost after 40+ years of faithful service (just totally dead). I attempted an overhaul: cleaned up commutator, new bushings and brushes. It passes all the field continuity tests and the armature spins free, but when I jumper test it on the garage floor the armature just barely turns. Anyone have any advice on what to try next?

1930artdeco 02-05-2019 06:32 PM

Re: SLOW starter

Just my 2 cents worth here:

1) Maybe not getting good current flow through the brushes
2) bent shaft
3) bad ground

I am NO electrical guru and welcome to the Barn!

Mike

Synchro909 02-05-2019 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rustyscrap (Post 1723900)
The starter in my '31 PU gave up the ghost after 40+ years of faithful service (just totally dead). I attempted an overhaul: cleaned up commutator, new bushings and brushes. It passes all the field continuity tests and the armature spins free, but when I jumper test it on the garage floor the armature just barely turns. Anyone have any advice on what to try next?

What is your power supply when doing this? Is it capable of maintaining 6 volts when the starter is connected?

Gary WA 02-06-2019 09:58 AM

Ground-clean shinny bright and tight!! Out of car??? Getting good voltage ditto#3

katy 02-06-2019 10:14 AM

I would suspect that the brushes and/or the commutator are contaminated w/oil.
Are the brushes still long enough to get good spring pressure against the commutator?
Clean the commutator off w/a good degreaser and try a new set of brushes.

Badpuppy 02-06-2019 12:58 PM

If the starter switch is mounted during test, that may be the cause.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showp...29&postcount=4

Werner 02-06-2019 04:07 PM

Hello,

I do not know if I understand the problem correctly.

When starting the cold engine with thick 25W-50 oil, I measure a current flow of about 150 amperes, the voltage drops to <5 volts. Both are normal.

katy 02-07-2019 10:30 AM

Quote:

I do not know if I understand the problem correctly.
I believe his problem is the starter itself, not the cold weather.

Smooth_One 02-07-2019 10:56 AM

Ground issue? Mine was spinning very slow when testing and i added a ground from the frame to the trans bell housing and much better. But if your testing on the floor then maybe you have a starter issue. Volt meters are a great way to narrow down the problem.

Patrick L. 02-07-2019 11:19 AM

By 'garage floor' I'm assuming you mean the starter is not in the car. Did you test the commutator ? Its an easy test with a continuity meter but you may have to take the armature to a shop for a growler test.

Russ/40 02-07-2019 11:52 AM

Been there done that! Brushes in the wrong holders! I had the same exact problem. Corrected the brush locations, problem solved.

Big hammer 02-07-2019 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rustyscrap (Post 1723900)

I had mine apart way to many times, I found it wasn't the starter, It Was My Modern Car that I was jump start/ spinning the A starter.

woofa.express 02-08-2019 03:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I wrote this in "mini starter" this morning and is quite applicable to this thread. It is copied and pasted. gary.

I had my Tourer (parked behind the ute in the picture below) converted to 12V some time back but not the starter. Each time I cranked I shuddered at the severe impact. I have busted 2 armature shafts so I purchased new field coils. had fitted and started so well. ONCE.
Disassembled and packed the bendix so it wouldn't jam. Again it started so well. ONCE. At present I am awaiting the rebuilding of my starter with a 5/8 shaft and new bendix by the guru Synchro and I reckon he will rebuild like new.
HOWEVER when I purchased the field coil I was unaware of the new light weight starter. I had one demonstrated to me at the Murray Bridge meet and it was a beauty.
From my experience don't mess with your original starter, unless you are a concourse entrant, just buy a light weight.

Rustyscrap 03-15-2019 10:45 AM

Solved the slow starter. It was caused by a cold solder job on the soldered brushes. These connections are difficult. Requires a soldering iron of 200 watts. New wires have to be "tinned" properly before connecting to the lugs. Had I to do it over again I wouldn't have even replaced the solder connected brushes. I think proper operation is all about the condition of the commutator.

Anteek29 03-15-2019 10:56 AM

Hooray...thanks for letting us know you fixed the problem!

Terry, NJ 03-15-2019 11:06 AM

Another aspect of this problem may be a poor ground. The best way I know of getting a starter to turn faster is to ground it directly to the battery. The ground path through a lot of old , rusty, riveted joints is not good. Use a modern 12v cable and connect to the same bolt as where the primary ground strap connects. Put a large hole connection (not a battery connecter) the other end. Connect that end to a 3/8 starter bolt and go turn the key and press the starter. It should be able to turn faster and start quicker.
Terry

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rustyscrap (Post 1736581)
Solved the slow starter. It was caused by a cold solder job on the soldered brushes. These connections are difficult. Requires a soldering iron of 200 watts. New wires have to be "tinned" properly before connecting to the lugs. Had I to do it over again I wouldn't have even replaced the solder connected brushes. I think proper operation is all about the condition of the commutator.

Purdy Swoft 03-15-2019 11:07 AM

If the brass-bronze field brushes are so badly worn that they must be replaced , I usually just pick a better core to overhaul . The field brushes usually last a lifetime or more . It is just too easy to ruin a good starter if you don't have the proper tools and experience to replace the field brushes . The ground brushes attach with screws and will usually suffice . The carbon ground brushes are the ones that wear the quickest and most . .