The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   RE-VIST....Who makes the "Best" Tubes???? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110557)

msmaron 07-01-2013 01:31 PM

RE-VIST....Who makes the "Best" Tubes????

Ok need new tubes and this is an old subject but who is making the best now..Blew 3 already...:(

BRENT in 10-uh-C 07-01-2013 02:00 PM

Re: RE-VIST....Who makes the "Best" Tubes????

Mark, to my knowledge, the only person that is making tubes for Model-A tire sizes is Coker.

Most problems that I am finding is the tube stem is detaching. The way to correct this problem is to install metal valve stems. If the inside of the wheel is free from pits and shaft edges, and if the tube is properly installed with plenty of Talc, then I haven't experienced problems.

msmaron 07-01-2013 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C (Post 680525)
Mark, to my knowledge, the only person that is making tubes for Model-A tire sizes is Coker.

Most problems that I am finding is the tube stem is detaching. The way to correct this problem is to install metal valve stems. If the inside of the wheel is free from pits and shaft edges, and if the tube is properly installed with plenty of Talc, then I haven't experienced problems.

Brent EXACTLY what happened to me...thanks for that
mark

Walt Bratton 07-17-2013 09:24 AM

About 10 years ago we at Brattons started making our own inner tubes because we had issues with the tubes that were currently on the market. When we had one of the tubes analyzed we found out that those tubes were being made with a high percentage of recycled rubber, and the thickness was severely lacking. So when we had ours made we had these tubes made with 100% new rubber and much thicker for longer life. Since we have started making and selling our own tubes the failure rate has decreased. I know the tubes are a bit more expensive than the others on the market, but we have had much better success with them.

RockHillWill 07-17-2013 09:41 AM

Hey Walt, GREAT to see you here, you are one of the 'good guys' in our hobby and I want to thank you for that. You at Brattons have played a great part in my restorations and I want to thank you for that as well.

Jeff and Debbie took the time to stop by the Panel Delivery in Lexington and had her picture taken with me. I appreciate them doing that. I also appreciate your giving me the opportunity to 'test' some of your prototype stuff, and it's always been of the highest quality, and I continue to use a great deal of your pieces for my component restorations for other folks use as well as my own.

I hope this is not sounding like a commercial, but I have been a HUGE fan of yours for over 15 years, when I was restoring a Wide Bed pickup for Fine Point judging. I had ordered the wrong date put on all my glass pieces and it was getting down to the wire, time wise, for taking it to Indianapolis. I called your place and Jeff stayed late, re-cut and re-etched the dates and overnighted them to me. I was very impressed with his effort and you are my go-to guys for that reason ever since.

I am building a new aluminum bodied speedster, and I will be getting some of those new tubes for sure. I used the Bratton tubes on the Panel Delivery, and after sitting for a year since Oshkosh. one tire was down one pound and one other was down 2 pounds. The others held the same pressure as when I unloaded form Oshkosh. I had to cut and install the tubes for the new valve stems, and I bet that that small leak was my fault.

Thank you Walt!

ken ct 07-17-2013 09:48 AM

Depending on size,try a motorcycle shop their tubes are good quality usually and some are made in Japan.Not like China made ones.Some even have metal stems. ken ct.

Gary Karr 07-17-2013 11:05 AM

Good to hear Brattons has them and that they are a better quality. That's where I'll go.

H. L. Chauvin 07-17-2013 11:41 AM

Hi Mark,

No doubt many have bought & reported less desirable tubes in the very recent past.

Because of these reports, about a month ago, I called this same gentleman who replied in message #4 about where to acquire good tubes.

He responded like that of message #4.

In knowing that like many of our sincere Model A parts vendors, they sincerely earnestly try to provide the "best" available on the market -- this insures repeat customers -- appears crooks don't last long in today's economy.

I ordered & received (5) new tubes; installed one (1) new tube to replace one old leaking tube -- tubes looked thick & resilient -- it does "not" leak -- looks nothing like a Dollar Store helium filled Birthday Balloon.

Kept the old 30 year old tube because only the stem was leaking near the tube; & ordered a new metal stem.

Hope this helps to keep air in your tires.

BrianM 07-17-2013 01:33 PM

I installed a new set of Lester tires (all 5) & used Bratton's tubes. No failures, no leaks, no issues..... I don't even have to keep topping them up...very happy with them!

Patrick L. 07-17-2013 02:38 PM

Get some motorcycle tubes.

johnbuckley 07-17-2013 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick L. (Post 690078)
Get some motorcycle tubes.

Which m/cycle tubes have our sizes in centre valve?

ken ct 07-17-2013 03:28 PM

OPPS i forgot about that fact. All MC tubes have the valve in center of tube.as far as i know . None are off-set if thats what you need. Sorry. ken ct

johnbuckley 07-17-2013 04:00 PM

I've looked many times in the past for m/cycle tubes that would fit 4.75/500x19 and for 4.50x21 can some one direct me a link to a decent site that sells them , Many thanks

H. L. Chauvin 07-17-2013 04:35 PM

Concerning message #8, here is some of the "Rest of the Story":

I subsequently also asked Mr. Bratton what were his particular thoughts about trusting old Model A tubes of unknown origin.

Reply: Maybe Ok if one does not mind taking a chance on getting a blow out at about 45 mph, going in the ditch, & turning over with one's (4) wheels spinning in the air -- this really does not sound like a very safe thing to try.

Safe advice in my opinion.

modelAtony 07-17-2013 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walt Bratton (Post 689901)
About 10 years ago we at Brattons started making our own inner tubes because we had issues with the tubes that were currently on the market. When we had one of the tubes analyzed we found out that those tubes were being made with a high percentage of recycled rubber, and the thickness was severely lacking. So when we had ours made we had these tubes made with 100% new rubber and much thicker for longer life. Since we have started making and selling our own tubes the failure rate has decreased. I know the tubes are a bit more expensive than the others on the market, but we have had much better success with them.

Hello Walt. Glad you have been showing up here. I had gotten some bad tubes That came from some guys in our club, I had also ordered some from another supplier because a member was ordering . My bad tubes were about 3- 4 years ago I would mount them and about 2-5 days they were flat all the tubes were slit down the seams, rotten I guess. I then started buying all my tubes from BRATTON and haven't had a flat in 3 years I drive my car about 13,000 miles per year and more.NOT SAYING ALL THIS BECAUSE WALT IS HERE JUST THE FACTS. have fun modelAtony tony white Lafayette,LA

Mitch//pa 07-17-2013 07:20 PM

According to brattons website 19" Tubes with metal stems seemed to be brought in and not made by them. Is this correct??

montanafordman 07-17-2013 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walt Bratton (Post 689901)

Its great to hear from our parts suppliers once in a while. Even if they keep their opinions to themselves its nice to know they have an ear to our hobby and our concerns. I ordered a set of 5 tubes from Bratton's almost a year ago based on what was written about them and the stories of bad tubes people were experiencing. They have been holding air since last fall and I haven't touched them. About 800 miles and no trouble whatsoever. I did order the metal stem tubes which on the whole it seems people have less trouble with but this has been my experience.

Walt Bratton 07-18-2013 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mitch//pa (Post 690253)
According to brattons website 19" Tubes with metal stems seemed to be brought in and not made by them. Is this correct??

Mitch we take a rubber stem tube and cut the rubber stem out of the tube and insert metal stems with the correct marking on them.

BRENT in 10-uh-C 07-18-2013 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montanafordman (Post 690256)
Its great to hear from our parts suppliers once in a while.

I agree 110%!!

Mitch//pa 07-18-2013 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walt Bratton (Post 690434)
Mitch we take a rubber stem tube and cut the rubber stem out of the tube and insert metal stems with the correct marking on them.

walt thanks for that info,,, thats what i was looking for;;;;;

H. L. Chauvin 07-18-2013 09:14 AM

And, with the thousands of "past" messages on Model A Forums, (repeated over & over), not to use "NEW" headlight sockets, I also called Mr. Bratton for his advice, just in case he was trying products from a "NEW" responsible headlight socket manufacturer.

Guess what? .......... Just like he promised, his "NEW" headlight sockets work just as great as his "NEW" inner tubes.

And in trying to be fair, I have sought similar advice on parts from Phil & Steve at Bert's & those at Snyder's & others, and always received sincere, truthful advice.

These guys know one another & communicate either directly among themselves, or indirectly through parts manufacturers -- they all have & drive Model A's.

In my opinion, we are just blessed with honest Model A Parts Vendors with a high degree of integrity who strive to maintain outstanding professionalism.

Furthermore, if in a bind, all it takes is a 1-800 toll free phone call.

wrndln 07-18-2013 04:16 PM

Not to hijack this thread, but I have a question about headlight sockets. THhe post right above this one describes better headlight sockets. I just went to Bratton's website and the headlight sockets description is: "The sockets are foreign and fair quality." H L Chauvin, where did you get the information about Bratton's selling high quality headlight sockets? Their website sure doesn't say anything about better headlight sockets.
Rusty Nelson

Drive Shaft Dave 07-18-2013 10:03 PM

Walt, thank you for providing us with good tubes!

H. L. Chauvin 07-18-2013 11:40 PM

Hi Rusty,

If one looks at headlight sockets in "all" U. S, vendor catalogs, Bratton's may be the "only" one where Mr. Bratton spelled out headlight socket "quality"; i.e., "foreign" made as opposed to having customers expecting sockets made in U. S. A. & made to exact Ford heavy duty specifications.

Archives in all years are full of messages saying all repro sockets are pure junk & to re-use only original sockets -- in not having good originals, I asked Mr. Bratton about his repro sockets -- he said in the past (7) years of selling his particular "current" brand of headlight sockets, he heard of no complaints & no sockets were returned for a refund.

Trusted his response, & ordered some of his foreign made repros & they are still working great. Did not have to alter them prior to installation, like that mentioned so often in archive messages.

Sincerely hope this helps to answer your question.

H. L. Chauvin 07-19-2013 01:29 AM

Hi Rusty,

Also, in fairness to perhaps someone's local, nearby favorite Model A vendor(s), some of the other vendors "may" or "may not" offer the same sockets & tubes & other Model A items & products as that offered by Mr. Bratton -- I really did not call around to inquire or compare who has which particular manufactured products.

Lopez Mike 11-10-2013 07:45 PM

There was a request by John Buckley earlier in this thread for a source of motorcycle tubes. I just bought five 4.50-5.00 x 19 tubes from Motorcycle Superstore. The cost with shipping was under $10.00 each. These have a regular 5/16" threaded metal stem. NOT original A style. These are very stout tubes. I use them on my XR-750 racing H.D. on mile and half mile clay ovals where I am putting 75 h.p to the ground through one tire at over 100 m.p.h. and sliding sideways at the same time. Rather rough duty. I have them on my 30 Murray Fordor and they have been standing up just fine. I add a couple of 5/16" brass flat washers inside and outside the hole in the A rim to keep some of the rain and dirt out. Two nuts come with the tubes and I tighten those nuts on both sides of the washers. My car is a daily driver and essentially unrestored. Just rolling down the road listening to the body wood fall apart!