The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Drum tail light mounting hardware (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=185609)

Fullraceflathead 12-28-2015 04:42 AM

Drum tail light mounting hardware

I just bought the Drum Tail light assembly for my '28 Roadster Pickup.
I also have the bracket and wooden block.
Can someone tell me the correct size and length carriage bolts I need to use to mount the bracket and block.
I looked in the judging standards but only see bolts mounting drum housing to bracket.
Thanks,
Kevin K.

brito36 12-28-2015 04:04 PM

Re: Drum tail light mounting hardware

Try looking in a Ford Parts Book or the Standard Hardware Book sold by MARC or MAFCA. I believe that the sizes are listed.

wrndln 12-28-2015 04:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have original carriage bolts that came with an original pickup taillight bracket. I don't know if the bracket is for a 28 or 29. I would think the bolts are the same for both 28 and 29. I am attaching a picture of the bolt. The head is 11/16" across. The bolts are 1/4" in diameter. The bolt is slightly different than modern carriage bolts in that the head is more flattish and not sharp around the edges. Hope this helps.
Rusty Nelson

Fullraceflathead 12-28-2015 10:09 PM

Thanks!
That's what I needed to know.

Fullraceflathead 12-29-2015 04:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My truck looks like it does not have the two square holes for the drum light mount.
If it has a repro lower bed side rail it would have to be at least 45 years old.
Could this be a Model T lower side rail?
I can see no evidence of holes being welded up.
Can someone give me the correct square hole distance from the back edge of the lower rail?
I can drill mine undersize then shape the square hole with a small file.

Fullraceflathead 12-29-2015 04:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Photo

Great Lakes Greg 12-29-2015 04:26 PM

Somebody will correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the entire box a carry over from a Model T anyway?

CarlG 12-29-2015 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fullraceflathead (Post 1214199)
...I can drill mine undersize then shape the square hole with a small file.

That's what I had to do when I put a RH taillight on my PU. I did have the LH light to use as a pattern.

wrndln 12-29-2015 04:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Greg,
Model T boxes were similar to model A boxes, but not the same. I almost bought a model T box that I thought was a model A box, until the seller pointed out a couple of differences. After he showed me the differences, I could tell the box was not a model A box. That was about 4 years ago, and I can't remember what the differences were, but one I believe involved the rear fender mounting.

Fullraceflathead,
I think you might have a model T box. There should be two holes in the horizontal part of the rail in your picture. It is also possible you have a very early box model A box. I have a picture I downloaded from eBay that shows a model A box with the two taillight holes missing. I believe the taillight was mounted underneath the bed on early pickups. Charles Reese has an early pickup that probably has the early box on it. Maybe he will post a better answer about the taillight mounting holes or no holes.
Rusty Nelson

Fullraceflathead 12-29-2015 04:48 PM

After looking at photos of the pick up beds with the metal mount instead of the wooden block I think mine originally had this set up.
Mine does have two sets of holes like the metal bracket was once riveted to.
The lower set of holes are not centered but are close to the lower edge just like the photos of the metal bracket equipped truck bed.
It looks more to me that if my truck originally had the wooden block then someone went out of their way to weld up the holes.
I think I'll make up the metal bracket. I wonder what gage the metal used was originally?
I think I'll use 16 gage as its .060 thick sheet metal.
Does anyone know the original metal thickness used?

Fullraceflathead 12-29-2015 04:52 PM

Yes it could be an early one. It does have one early front fender. I don't know the history before 1970 approximately.

Tom Wesenberg 12-29-2015 05:23 PM

I thought someone recently posted good pictures of the truck taillamp mount. :confused:
I wonder if it's in the SERVICE BULLETINS or The Model A Ford as Henry Built It.

CarlG 12-29-2015 06:03 PM

If you go to Sacramento Vintage Ford site, they have pictures of what you need:

00744-3 Bracket
00744-1 Wood Block
00744-2 Bolt Kit

You will need one for each side if you are putting lights on both sides.

I will see if I can get pictures of mine. Mine is a '31, the only difference being in the bracket. Position should be pretty much the same.

Fullraceflathead 12-29-2015 06:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Since mine has four holes only on the sides and they are directly above each other I'm thinking mine may have originally had the metal bracket riveted to it.

Fullraceflathead 12-29-2015 06:51 PM

I have the repro bracket, wooden block and carriage bolts.
I'm missing the two holes that the two carriage bolts go into vertically.

CarlG 12-29-2015 07:09 PM

I'll see if I can get some measurements and/or pictures of the way mine are later this evening when I get home. I had to make the holes in the right side of mine as it only had the left tail light when I bought it.

wrndln 12-29-2015 08:08 PM

I believe the metal mounting bracket in your last picture is used on early boxes, like Charles Reese's pickup. I have no idea how long the metal bracket was used before Ford went to the wood block.
Rusty Nelson

Fullraceflathead 12-29-2015 09:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This is a bracket I made from some scrap .020 sheet metal I have. Once I like the fit I will make another out of .060 sheet metal.
The metal that it attaches to is .100 thick.

Fullraceflathead 12-30-2015 10:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I made the bracket out of .060 sheet metal and painted it.
I will install Drum Tail Light assembly tomorrow if all goes well.

Fullraceflathead 12-30-2015 10:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
More photos