The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   leaking carb (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51516)

youngd7 10-26-2011 09:51 PM

leaking carb

Hi guys, new to the forum and looking for some help. Bought a 29 tudor recently that was just restored but hadn't been run yet. When I put gas in it and turned the valve on the gas ran right through and out the carb throat. Took the carb apart and based on the condition decided to just get a rebuilt from Bratton's. Put that on tonight and same thing the gas ran right threw the carb and onto the floor. Tried rapping on the carb but didn't help. I don't understand what I' missing. These carbs are so simple. any thoughts? :confused:

mrtexas 10-26-2011 09:54 PM

Re: leaking carb

Zenith or Tilly? Sounds like crude in the float valve.

youngd7 10-26-2011 09:55 PM

The original was a Zenith and the rebuilt I just got is a zenith

Modelakid31 10-26-2011 10:12 PM

Take it apart and see if the float valve is sticking.

youngd7 10-27-2011 06:29 AM

I did check the valve on both carbs and the valve was free on both. After sleeping on this last night I am thinking the only likely answer is that I am getting junk smaller than the screen in the carb can filter out. I think I am going to have to put a paper filter in between the tank and carb for a while until I run some gas through the tank. Does any one know if I can successfully blow or clean out te valve somehow or should I just pop for a new one?

Mike 10-27-2011 07:00 AM

Youngd7,

Check your float, shake the float some have pin holes in them and they fill up.
Also check the tang on the float make sure it is not bent, then adjust your float height.

mike

jimvette59 10-27-2011 07:19 AM

I would call Brattons and send it back. There are many other reasons a carb. can leak. I think they pay return shipping.

modela-carb 10-27-2011 07:19 AM

Mike,
If the gas is coming out as strongly as your post indicates, the most likely culprit is the float...either leaking and not able to hold its setting or not set correctly. If it's leaking to this degree, you should be able to hear it slosh if you remove it & shake it close to your ear. If not leaking, check the setting. A quick & dirty check is to invert the top casting with the float installed. There should be 5/8" between the top of the float (the bottom as you look at) and the deck of the top casting.
If It's too low, don't bend the float. Remove the float valve & put another gasket beneath it. This should raise the float level to at least 5/8" and if it's a little over it won't hurt for this check. If the gas stops, then you've found the problem. If not, let us know & we can look at other possibilities.
Jim

youngd7 10-27-2011 07:36 AM

Thanks for the great replies. Bratton's sends an instruction sheet with the carb that has a toll free number to call for help which I plan to do today. Checking on the float for leaks and height setting also sounds like a good step in figuring this out. I'll try that and post what I find. THANKS!!

Modelakid31 10-27-2011 09:30 AM

Good luck. Let us know what you find.

youngd7 10-28-2011 02:14 PM

Well I called Brattons and they offered to send out another rebuilt. I worked with their carburator guy on the phone and checked the float for leaks, float height, took out the valve and disassembled it to check for debris. Didn't find any so I put it back together and reinstalled it on the car, still leaked. So at this point I am returning the carb for another one. I am a little perplexed because I really couldn't find anything wrong with the first rebuilt. Hopefully the next one will work.

youngd7 11-03-2011 06:40 AM

I got my second rebuilt carb from Bratton's and it works, no leaks. Guess it was just the needle valve not seating. Bratton's was great to work with.