The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   front license plate mount (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238594)

oldforder 02-04-2018 01:11 PM

front license plate mount

when I got my 29 a few months ago, the plate was mounted on the light bar in front of the radiator like most of them. My wife thought it looked funny, so I moved it on to the bumper. looks good there but now the radiator kinda looks bare. Is there any reason that it should be on the light bar? Would it help protect the radiator? I know that for judging it needs to be on the bar, but this car will never be judged. At least not while I own it. I kinda think I would like to put it back where it belongs, but also important to keep the wife happy. So if there is no compelling reason to put it back, I guess I will keep it on the bumper.Thoughts??

jimalabam 02-04-2018 01:15 PM

Re: front license plate mount

Originally mounted on light bar, as most other cars of the time... License plates or mounting should not effect judging...

Y-Blockhead 02-04-2018 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldforder (Post 1588555)
when I got my 29 a few months ago, the plate was mounted on the light bar in front of the radiator like most of them. My wife thought it looked funny, so I moved it on to the bumper. looks good there but now the radiator kinda looks bare. Is there any reason that it should be on the light bar? Would it help protect the radiator? I know that for judging it needs to be on the bar, but this car will never be judged. At least not while I own it. I kinda think I would like to put it back where it belongs, but also important to keep the wife happy. So if there is no compelling reason to put it back, I guess I will keep it on the bumper.Thoughts??

You will probably find the radiator cools better without the license plate blocking the air flow.

rocket1 02-04-2018 02:21 PM

If that will keep your wife happy,go for it!

jimvette59 02-04-2018 03:14 PM

Oldforder . Wives are always right. I think ?

Dutie 02-04-2018 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocket1 (Post 1588589)
If that will keep your wife happy,go for it!

I'm with rocket 1.... keeping the QUEEN happy is oh so important. ;)

Patrick L. 02-04-2018 03:20 PM

No one is happy unless the wife is happy, or so I've heard.

Bill G 02-04-2018 03:28 PM

Mine has no plate on the front and I guess the only reason it doesn't look bare is because I am used to looking at it. My advice is to make your wife happy when it comes to "A" ownership. By the way, now that my wife's shoulder surgery is all healed up, she really enjoys driving it. It's wonderful having a hobby that my wife enjoys participating in. She is pretty good at double clutching!

Mike V. Florida 02-04-2018 04:45 PM

nope no compelling reason

Larry Jenkins 02-04-2018 04:58 PM

If you live in a state that does not require a front plate, it would look nice with a restored original year plate.

Many Suppliers have the nice stainless steel clamps.

JOHN CT 02-04-2018 05:38 PM

Have you thought about a stone guard? I have one on my A and it fills in the radiator and protects it

burner31 02-04-2018 05:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
When it comes to my Model A, the Wife's opinion takes the back seat.

wingski 02-04-2018 06:00 PM

Call Nebraska DMV and find out if a front plate is even required on that car.

I’ve seen model A’s with the front plate hooked in place so there was air flow through that radiator. They looked a little weird with that front plate angled out at the bottom, but anybody who knew anything about over-heating knew exactly why the plate was at an angle.

You and your wife might like the looks of the car without a front plate. I don’t have to have one in front, and I think the front end of my ’29 looks a lot cleaner without a plate.

Mike

Betterlifenz 02-04-2018 06:07 PM

What are you - man or mouse? Put it back where it belongs. She probably won't even notice!

eagle 02-04-2018 06:13 PM

I told my wife one time that she was wrong...I didn't see anything of her for a week. Then on the 8th day the swelling went down just enough so I could see a little bit out of the right eye...

davehc 02-04-2018 06:15 PM

Ther's another saying also , " Happy Wife , Happy Life " . But then I think I'm still sorting that one out .

Simonpie 02-04-2018 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead (Post 1588582)
You will probably find the radiator cools better without the license plate blocking the air flow.

Am I the only one who just got an urge to cut louvers in his license plate?

michael a 02-04-2018 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simonpie (Post 1588718)

I don't leave for a minute there is any such thing as keeping a wife happy

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Dr. OldKat 02-04-2018 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davehc (Post 1588711)
Ther's another saying also , " Happy Wife , Happy Life " . But then I think I'm still sorting that one out .

Or, alternatively, "If Momma ain't Happy, ain't nobody Happy".

One of my early managers in the industry I am in told me that, he was about 32 year sold at the time. He went on to be the CEO at a major company, so I figure he must know something!

Ray in La Mesa 02-05-2018 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simonpie (Post 1588718)

I have a 1916 Illinois plate with vertical slots stamped between the #'s so someone thought of it.