The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   How to cure vapor lock (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116252)

verdirick 09-01-2013 04:48 PM

How to cure vapor lock

Any ideas out there on best approach to stop vapor lock. Shield the gas line??, try Mystery Oil in the Gas??...
Would appreciate any feedback.
Thanks
Rick Jensen

Jordan 09-01-2013 04:58 PM

Re: How to cure vapor lock

In the past when vapor lock would occur, I've upgraded to premium gas and it solved the problem.

quickchange 09-01-2013 05:12 PM

Rick . Hi . Good to see you at Reno. We ran 86mph at the salt in stock A cpe . Flathead. You may gets lots of comments on this one , I have tried along with others clipping two wooden clothes pegs on the line, If that does not work at least you can hang the washing out. Make sure you have orginal fuel line & no extra filters. Winter is coming so you will be ok. Derek from spring sunny day in NZ

verdirick 09-01-2013 05:24 PM

Thanks Derek. That's exactly what I'm doing for our little outing to Bend tomorrow. Still hot and smokey here in Reno..
Regards Rick

Fred K-OR 09-01-2013 06:00 PM

Rick, hope to see you in Bend. Good luck with your vapor lock. The weather in Bend looks like it could be in the 80's but should be great time.

ford3 09-01-2013 06:12 PM

the best way to help or stop vapor lock is to install an electric fuel pump

Mike V. Florida 09-01-2013 06:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Make sure the fuel line is always tilted up hill.

lindy williams 09-01-2013 06:29 PM

A 1/4" bakelite spacer placed between the manifold and the carb on mine improved the situation. I got the material from McMaster-Carr (mcmaster.com). It acts an insulator to keep the carb cooler so the fuel doesn't flash into vapor when entering the carb.
Also, the addition of MMO, or 2 cycle oil will slightly raise the boiling point of the fuel and help the situation.

steve s 09-01-2013 06:45 PM

There have been numerous long threads on this in recent years. Use Search function for key words "vapor lock". Here's one that will get you started:

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...lock&showall=1

You will find every cure under the sun, plus a host of vapor luck deniers and semantic quibblers.

Steve

spdway1 09-01-2013 06:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another WACK to the dead Horse....:eek:

Tom Wesenberg 09-02-2013 12:06 AM

I only use the good gas, no corn crap gas. This solved my vapor lock.

Bob-A 09-02-2013 05:01 AM

Ditto on what Tom says. Plus, I also run MMO and I read some where that the original type (copper/filler/copper) carb to manifold gaskets.
Help with the heat problem.;)

Bob-A:D

Skrain 09-02-2013 06:32 AM

I started using Non-Ethanol gas in my 49 8N Tractor, and it cured my vapor lock problem almost immediately!
I think the ethanol lowers the flash point of the gas so it will vaporize in the lines easier causing more vapor lock. IMHO, that is...

blgitn 09-02-2013 06:51 AM

I recently found 'corn-free' gas locally and the old cars really run better. MMO does help if you must burn ethanol.

Skrain 09-02-2013 07:17 AM

You can go to Pure-Gas.org, or fuel testers.com to find listings by state of stations that sell non-corn gas.

John LaVoy 09-02-2013 07:24 AM

On our last Summer Tour we had about 25 Model A's traveling home from Michigan. The combination of equipment varied from close to stock to highly modified up to and including overhead set ups. Every one had vapor locking problems coming over the Continental Divide in Colorado except one car that was using ATF added to his fuel. It is pretty close to the Marvel Mystery oil and is less expensive. The ethanol added to the fuel seems to boil quicker that straight gas so that has increased the problem. Going to higher octane use to avoid the added ethanol but they now put 10-15% in all grades. So I guess my recommendation would be the ATF/Marvel Mystery Oil to solve your problem.

QGolden 09-02-2013 07:48 AM

Have any of you ever tried to the addition of Kerosine to an A that was prone to the fuel boiling problem? I can see where the addiotion of MMO would help by raising the boiling point, however MMO is not volatile as Kerosine (or Diesel) is.

it is worth noting when discussing this issue that Gasoline as we know it today is a distillate of several compounds. Some of those compounds blend at the Molecular level with the fuel and some are simply additives that will evaporate out, or settle out. In the case of fuel boiling in the Carb or Fuel lines, it is worth noting that depending on the season, and the State we live in, our fuels are different with different compounds and additives. Here in NH we have Winter Blends and Summer blends, each is different from a Volatility standpoint, volatility is a measure of the gasoline’s tendency to vaporize under a given set of conditions. So the car that is prone to fuel boiling in AZ, may not occur in NH, even if the operating condition and temperature are identical. Fuel in NH is simply not the same blend as fuel in AZ.

The low compression engines of this era run on Kerosine, many were run on it during the war because it was not rationed.

So I am wondering if any one who has the problem, has tried adding a gallon of K1 or Diesel to the tank?

steve s 09-02-2013 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QGolden (Post 718198)
.... So I am wondering if any one who has the problem, has tried adding a gallon of K1 or Diesel to the tank?

I didn't try a gallon, but I did try a quart or two of diesel per tank. All it did was make the exhaust smellier. Others have reported more success.

Steve

QGolden 09-02-2013 09:29 AM

Thx for the reply. A qt. In a 12 gallon tank is one 48th or about 2%. I should think one could easily go up 20% win a low compression A with no other modifications. Leaning a bit with the GAV might be in order? I have dumped up 25% old Kerosene (just to get rid of it) in my Flathead 8N. Could not tell it was in there.

Patrick L. 09-02-2013 12:09 PM

I've used ATF in the fuel for low use engines, enough to let them smoke a bit. I always thought it kept the carbon soft and they store fine. As far as vapor lock is concerned, I agree with Mike in keeping a good pitch on the lines as well as making sure the battery ground connections are clean and tight. But, I've never experienced vapor lock in a Model A yet, I have in other engines though.