The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Front Axle Shims (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=303195)

CatMan1 08-31-2021 08:00 AM

Front Axle Shims

I've been doing some research on here, but thought I'd ask..... Is there a type of shim that would be used in the front axle where the king pin goes? I have a some light 'play' and looseness there. Or do I just have to look for another axle someday? Are there oversized king pins?

chrs1961815 08-31-2021 08:20 AM

Re: Front Axle Shims

Inside the axle? See this thread:
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...=King+pin+hole

BRENT in 10-uh-C 08-31-2021 08:20 AM

Does installing and tightening the locking pin remove all of the movement??

1931 flamingo 08-31-2021 08:28 AM

Are there any shims under the king pin bearings??
Paul in CT

Terry, NJ 08-31-2021 08:31 AM

Yes, there are shims that go under the spindle. They're available from the vendors. They come with the new king pins. When the kingpins get loose (death wobble) the bushings in the spindle get replaced. There are two to a side, upper and lower. The king pins are .812-.813 and after the new bushings are pushed into place, they must be reamed or honed to a close fit. I prefer an .812 adjustable reamer. Don't try to get it all out in one pass. These reamers are NOT meant to take a heavy cut. Put the reamer with the square end into a vise and rotate the spindle down to it.
Terry

CatMan1 08-31-2021 09:04 AM

I wish I could post pictures and videos. Anyway..... When we jacked the car up and checked it we had movement in all four directions. I found that the nut that (passenger side wheel) held the tie rod to the spindle was loose and that took up some slack after being tightened up. The wheel bearing was tight....maybe too tight. so, that left king pin looseness. Pulling up and down on the spindle produced a bit of a wiggle. Now I have it all apart and the king pin just slips out without and force or tools. Is it supposed to come out that easy? Just the king pin by itself in the axle hole will wiggle a bit. Is that normal? So, that brings me back to my original question, are there thin shims that can go in the axle hole around the king pin to take up that slack? There was also no grease present when we took the king pin out. I'm assuming the original owner didn't do any maintenance after the full restoration.....?

Big hammer 08-31-2021 10:00 AM

Post #3 ! Install the locking pin, tighten the nut, tap the pin opposite side of the nut, retighten the nut, should remove movement of the king pin.

Patrick L. 08-31-2021 11:52 AM

How much play is in the king pins ? This has been addressed.

But, since you took it apart, might as well have new pins and bushings installed.

CatMan1 08-31-2021 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick L. (Post 2051634)
How much play is in the king pins ? This has been addressed.

But, since you took it apart, might as well have new pins and bushings installed.

I don't really have a good way to measure it. Perhaps.....the thickness of aluminum foil, if I was to guess. You don't need any tools, just pull it out.

Patrick L. 08-31-2021 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CatMan1 (Post 2051636)
I don't really have a good way to measure it. Perhaps.....the thickness of aluminum foil, if I was to guess. You don't need any tools, just pull it out.

Are talking bearing shims or pin bushings. The bushing tolerance has been previously addressed. As for the bearing shims, most stopped worrying about that decades ago. I still like to use them, but, they are not going to cause a wobble issue.

CatMan1 08-31-2021 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick L. (Post 2051648)
Are talking bearing shims or pin bushings. The bushing tolerance has been previously addressed. As for the bearing shims, most stopped worrying about that decades ago. I still like to use them, but, they are not going to cause a wobble issue.

I really wish I could post a picture. :( I have some extra clearance or wiggle were the king pin drops into the axle. Just that, no spindle added. Maybe they don't fit that snug? I don't know. Just picture a bare, no parts added, fresh axle and you drop the king pin or spindle bolt in. It wiggles. Bad or good?

Patrick L. 08-31-2021 04:13 PM

It shouldn't wiggle.

CatMan1 08-31-2021 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick L. (Post 2051732)
It shouldn't wiggle.

That's what I figured.

Pete 08-31-2021 05:17 PM

Those axle holes can be sleeved back to standard. The king pin should be a hard hand push or light tap fit.

Chuck Sea/Tac 08-31-2021 07:30 PM

I had bad wear in the axle as well, and I ended up replacing the axle. I’ve heard pro and cons on repairing the axle kink pin hole.

Terry, NJ 09-01-2021 03:59 PM

There should not be any slop, play, looseness in the king pins! Period! It should be a "tap Fit" into the bushings. In other words, you should have to very lightly tap the king pin into place. They should not fall into the bushings. Can you see any scrapes or scoring on them? They are suppose to measure 13/16ths or .812 -.813 dia. If they are scored up or under size, replace them. Then check the fit again . Usually the bushings go first and you'll have to replace both.
Good Luck!
Terry

Patrick L. 09-02-2021 06:14 AM

I think we're talking about 3 different issues.

Pin into axle
pin to bushing
thrust bearing

CatMan1 09-02-2021 07:16 AM

If I could only post pictures......How do I do that? It won't let me.

john in illinois 09-02-2021 04:49 PM

Pictures to big. Find a way to resize them smaller. There are many apps with a search.

John