The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Inner tube advice needed (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=302094)

walkerlakeprinter 08-05-2021 02:56 PM

Inner tube advice needed

Do any of the suppliers sell a heavy-duty 21 inch inner tube? I patched, installed, re-patched, installed my older one....another leak! Gave up. Got my new one installed today......new leak. Patched, installed.....still leaked around my new patch after I made sure it didn't leak before I put it in. I was careful to not pinch the tube while remounting the tire. I have had no leaks in the four tires on the car, and they have been holding air just fine for at least 21 years!

ModelAMike1930 08-05-2021 03:18 PM

Re: Inner tube advice needed

Try ebay and next time use talcum powder on the tube to make sure it slides in easier.

BRENT in 10-uh-C 08-05-2021 03:32 PM

Brattons was the manufacturer of the best inner tubes. Check with them?

alexiskai 08-05-2021 03:38 PM

I got five 21" tubes from Lucas back in June, they held up fine.

J Franklin 08-05-2021 04:40 PM

What was causing the air to escape? You left the most important fact out. Maybe you need to let a tire store patch and install the tube for you.

walkerlakeprinter 08-05-2021 04:56 PM

Little tiny holes on the inner part, next to the rubber stem. I need to pick up some new patches and cement and try again. When I go to town tomorrow, I will ask the guys at the tire store....maybe they have some vulcanizing patches they can install next time.
Thanks for the advice.

Tom Endy 08-05-2021 05:09 PM

We had a tire go flat on my grandson's 30 Tudor. The tires and tubes are new, installed a few months ago and only on the road a few days ago. A few trips around the block and the tire went flat. We found a pin hole in the side of the tube. It was not caused by a pinch. We were careful to use baby powder and not force it with tools. We patched the tube and so far it is holding. Inner tubes are suspect today because they are not normally made for cars anymore, just bikes and motorcycles and we all know where they come from.

Tom Endy

walkerlakeprinter 08-05-2021 05:19 PM

My old one was made in China. My newest one was made in Vietnam. I'm going to order one from Brattons and hope theirs is better.

The Master Cylinder 08-05-2021 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walkerlakeprinter (Post 2043039)
Do any of the suppliers sell a heavy-duty 21 inch inner tube? I patched, installed, re-patched, installed my older one....another leak! Gave up. Got my new one installed today......new leak. Patched, installed.....still leaked around my new patch after I made sure it didn't leak before I put it in. I was careful to not pinch the tube while remounting the tire. I have had no leaks in the four tires on the car, and they have been holding air just fine for at least 21 years!

I gotta ask, did you check the inside of the tire? Maybe something is poking your tube.

TerryH 08-05-2021 07:01 PM

I bought 5 new inner tubes from Bratton’s earlier this year……4 of the 5 have slow leaks in them…..have to air up some every few weeks.

chrs1961815 08-05-2021 07:19 PM

A little bit over a year ago I put new tires on newly restored 21 inch wheels and I have had no issues, no leaks. They were bought from Kelsey Tires and are the firestone type. Came with inner tubes.

updraught 08-05-2021 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TerryH (Post 2043105)
I bought 5 new inner tubes from Bratton’s earlier this year……4 of the 5 have slow leaks in them…..have to air up some every few weeks.

Sometimes there are bad batches of values that do that.

walkerlakeprinter 08-05-2021 08:52 PM

To the Master Cylinder: all the holes in the tubes showed up on the part where they touch the rim liners which are perfectly smooth.

chap52 08-06-2021 07:10 AM

A couple of years ago I bought a new tube from Brattons. It had a small leak near the stem right out of the box. I called them and they sent out a new tube that day. I was told that this was an recurring issue with their latest batch? Should have a new batch in stock since then.
So my frustration with the adventure now causes me to always put air in a new tube and sink it in some water to check for leaks before putting it on the car. Chap

arnhemmer 08-06-2021 09:45 AM

I bought tires and tubes from Mike's A Fordable about 5 yrs ago and have very good luck with the tubes. No air loss to speak of. What is the consensus as to how long I should keep them. I'm in the need of tires very shortly. Should I use the same tubes with the new tires?

Patrick L. 08-06-2021 11:40 AM

I was going to suggest using rim liners, but, apparently that isn't, or maybe it is, the problem with yours.

There are, as said, a lot of junk tubes out there. Motorcycle tubes were being awhile back.

updraught 08-06-2021 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arnhemmer (Post 2043305)
I bought tires and tubes from Mike's A Fordable about 5 yrs ago and have very good luck with the tubes. No air loss to speak of. What is the consensus as to how long I should keep them. I'm in the need of tires very shortly. Should I use the same tubes with the new tires?

Hard to say. Some will last, some won't. Depends what they are made of. Some will fall to pieces before you can use them, a bit like a plastic shopping bag left in the sun.

The Coker ones for radials are very heavy and very expensive. You would hope they will last.

arnhemmer 08-06-2021 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by updraught (Post 2043458)
Hard to say. Some will last, some won't. Depends what they are made of. Some will fall to pieces before you can use them, a bit like a plastic shopping bag left in the sun.

The Coker ones for radials are very heavy and very expensive. You would hope they will last.

These can also be used with radials. Maybe I'll look at them to see what shape they are in when I'm ready for new tires. With no air loss accept for the monthly pressure check, they are performing very well. Thanks for the reply.

J Franklin 08-06-2021 11:25 PM

I use old good tubes until they don't work any longer.

Harpkatt 08-07-2021 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Master Cylinder (Post 2043095)
I gotta ask, did you check the inside of the tire? Maybe something is poking your tube.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I was a bike mechanic for years and a lot of times a customer repaired tube had something in the tire or tube that was causing the problem. If the holes keep popping up in the same area its a likely cause. Or your overstretching the tire somehow, maybe its the wrong size.