The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Hood springs (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=244744)

mll1446 05-22-2018 12:02 AM

Hood springs

Hello again, Tired of hood on my 47 Merc dropping on my head . If anyone has tips on replacing springs I would appreciate hearing from you. Do I need to take off the hood?thanks in advance.

tmiller6 05-22-2018 04:54 AM

Re: Hood springs

In the sixties, Popular Mechanics showed a guy pre-stretching his springs with a spreader clamp, taping them, filling them with water and freezing them in an extended position. He was able to replace them on the car this way.

On my '41, I removed the hood and hinges. I clamped the hinges in a vise and stretched the springs in place using the long end of a drum brake spring tool.

oldskool 05-22-2018 05:34 AM

on my 46 merc I had the same problem plus hood alignment was not good,i bought springs from macs and still had same problems, I wound up buying a kit from speedway that uses struts and eliminates springs ,my hood is now in good alignment and stays open, the kit is for a ford but will can be altered to work on a merc with 2 holes drilled in a different place as the merc hood is longer. just a suggestion

Darrell S 05-22-2018 08:30 AM

The hood on my 48 Ford suffered the same problems as you are describing. I bought the new arms with springs attached from Drake, they install easily. The hood now stays up and sits down in the rear like it is supposed to.

cmbrucew 05-22-2018 04:38 PM

You can clamp the spring in your vise, bend it forward, and put in two washers, bend it back, install two more washers. Keep going till the spring is long enough to hook up then pull them out. You need a bunch of washers.
Bruce

V12Bill 05-22-2018 07:27 PM

Not necessary to remove the hood. Raise hood to top limit and support it with a pole. Take fender washers and insert them between each coil of the spring It may be necessary to wrap masking tape around the spring to hold the washers in place. .Lower the hood , have some one support the front of the hood and reach in and remove the expanded spring. To replace the new spring, force fender washers between each coil and reverse the above. To remove the washers, raise the hood and the washers will fall out.

mll1446 05-22-2018 09:39 PM

Thanks a lot will try one of those options. have a great day. mll1446

corvette8n 05-23-2018 07:59 AM

I used cotter pins between the coils when I put new springs on my '41 hood.

RKS.PA 05-23-2018 09:27 AM

Had the same problem with my '47. Bought new springs and hinges, but found just replacing the springs solved my problem. Replacing the springs was easy...hood propped up and did one side at a time....no need to remove hood. Those spring washer bolts are important. Be sure you use them or replace them if missing.

Dick.