The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Dual carb advantage? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=271950)

[email protected] 10-31-2019 03:36 PM

Dual carb advantage?

What is the advantage of a dual carb setup on my 8BA I have in my 37 pickup? I once installed one on my 46 2door sedan and even with the correct power valves did not see much difference. What would be the best setup? I did install a T-5 AND REALLY LOVE IT but still have a small vibration between 51 and59 mph. Before and after there is none. I always appreciate the wealth of knowledge and help I recieve. Thank you, Jim in Orrington Maine.

tubman 10-31-2019 04:00 PM

Re: Dual carb advantage?

On a street-driven car, I am partial to a small base Rochester 2G on a bored out Mercury manifold. Mounted backwards, the carburetor will bolt right to the manifold and the fuel line and throttle linkage fall right into place. The choke is a different matter; it operates backwards. Since the Merc manifolds have a provision for automatic chokes, I have used the automatic choke 2G's (both regular and divorced) with no problem. The only problem is that there is a leverage problem and, while the throttle linkage falls right into place, the a stock Ford throttle linkage only opens the carburetor about 3/4 of the way. Either the lever on the firewall or the one on the throttle shaft need to be modified to get full throttle. These carburetors flow about as much as 2 94's, so you essentially have the increased carburetion that 2 regular carbs provide, but with the simplicity of a single unit. I have been running one of these on the '51 Merc in my '51 coupe for the last 3 years and am very satisfied with the driveability and performance.

Of course, this is fine if you have a car with a hood; for anything else, you gotta have the dual setup.

JSeery 10-31-2019 04:09 PM

Two carbs are going to flow more air than a single carb. This is not going to make much difference on a fairly stock engine that doesn't see much high RPM usage.

Ol' Ron 10-31-2019 04:28 PM

Add some 2" risers under the carbs

Ronnieroadster 10-31-2019 05:04 PM

Got to a four barrel it will work much better is easier to stay in tune and another benefit you will get better fuel economy.
Ronnieroadster

petehoovie 10-31-2019 05:15 PM

"What would be the best setup?" - Retain the original factory carb setup....

[email protected] 10-31-2019 05:19 PM

Thank you very much. I'll see if I can find a Merc, manifold. Ya'll came through again.

AnthonyG 10-31-2019 05:39 PM

The best set up to a large degree is based on ur engine & what ur looking for. If ur engine is perfed up w oversized valves & a 3/4 or higher cam one 2 barrel will only achieve 70% of the engine potential. U’ll Get much better pedal response than stock but wont realize what the engine acceleration potential is. As far as wether 2-2’s or a 4 barrel is better as said the 4 barrel is easier to keep in tune but the 2-2’s especially w a sling shot or hi-risers or both looks way cooler in an old school way!

frnkeore 10-31-2019 07:49 PM

There are many different CFM rating for the Rochester 2G/GC. They range from 225 to 500 cfm. From what I've found, the 2 basic sizes (1 1/4 & 1 3/8 Venturi) are usually rated at 285 & 450/500.

I believe the "94" is ~125 and the 2100 version, 150 to 155 cfm.

So, the smaller 2G is about the rate of 2 94's and the larger one, three 94's.

I have both a Merc manifold and one of the small 2G's for sale. $100 plus shipping.

Ol' Ron 10-31-2019 11:33 PM

That's avery good price, especially if the intak is bored out to the 2GC throttle size. As forr the large 2GC it won't bolt to the merc intake. However the small 2GC base will fit the mid size carb. Might work, haven't tried it yet.

frnkeore 11-01-2019 12:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have at least 3 small 2GC's and at least two large ones.

The price, does not include opening the manifold but, I can do that for a additional $30.

This is the manifold.

oldskool 11-01-2019 06:50 AM

speedway sells a 3 bolt to 4 bolt carb adaptor

[email protected] 11-01-2019 11:03 AM

Thank you for the help. How about boring out the stock manifold? Why the Merc?

blucar 11-01-2019 11:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It has already been pointed out that multiple carbs on a stock engine will not produce any benefits, other than bragging rights.
If you change the cam and ignition and run the engine at high rpms, like street racing you will experience good performance, however, for every day driving a 4 barrel carb will be more trouble free.

Tim Ayers 11-01-2019 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 1816495)
Thank you for the help. How about boring out the stock manifold? Why the Merc?

It's easier to find a 4 bolt 2GC vs. a 3 bolt. Merc. intake is a 4 bolt.

JWL 11-01-2019 12:01 PM

If you read my book you will see there is more usable street performance available in the dual carbs or 4 barrel than any cam change will provide.

Ol' Ron 11-01-2019 02:37 PM

The bennafet you get from jWLs book is: it saves you money bt answering questions you didn't ask. He takes the stock block from 80 hp factory stock to just under 100. without going into it. Then he does.

[email protected] 11-02-2019 06:44 PM

Thank you. I found the book nearby. I have some reading to do. I like the idea of a 4bbl. Now to find one affordable. LL.

philipswanson 11-02-2019 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWL (Post 1816523)
If you read my book you will see there is more usable street performance available in the dual carbs or 4 barrel than any cam change will provide.

What's the title and/or ISBN of the book. I'll pick up a copy.

Ronnieroadster 11-02-2019 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected] (Post 1816995)
Thank you. I found the book nearby. I have some reading to do. I like the idea of a 4bbl. Now to find one affordable. LL.

Since both Edelbrock and Offy four barrel intakes are still being made new check what Speedway Motors is getting for them which i think is the best price going. For a good carb when i help others with similar combinations i simply use a good Holley 600 CFM carb. What ever you don't waste your time and money on the 390 CFM Holley four barrel the performance sucks using that to small of a carb. Replaced many of those little 390 carbs with the 600.
Ronnieroadster