The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   steering stabilizer (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=270616)

Leatherback 57 10-08-2019 02:53 PM

steering stabilizer

Hi.For the ones that are using or have used the steering stabilizer on their Model A. which is the better of the 2. Mikes or Snyders? I prefer steel brackets over aluminum and not being seen.All components checked and tight with 5 deg. positive camber as well. a little loose on steering box play. All was good till king pin bushings wore in with no resistance. I know most don't like Dampers.So just want comments on ones that have or are using at this time. few people in our club are using for years with no issues. Thanks Gary will rebuild box or switch to 2 tooth when I can.

Ernie Vitucci 10-08-2019 03:44 PM

Re: steering stabilizer

Good Afternoon...We have used a steering stabilizer for many years on our Model 'A' Tudor. We had the front end rebuilt and added the stabilizer at that point. We don't have any wobble of any kind. This is one of those questions like which oil is best? I frankly think that they are a good upgrade if you have a driver and use it weekly...Ernie in Arizona

BRENT in 10-uh-C 10-08-2019 03:54 PM

My advice contradicts Ernie's advice but the steering system on a Model-A is very tight when rebuilt correctly. As such, the stabilizer only makes the steering action heavier IMO. I personally have taken off WAY more than I can think about because they were unnecessary. Others might chime in on how they have seen failures of these stabilizers when a car was on tour and the shaft locked.

George Miller 10-08-2019 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C (Post 1807722)
My advice contradicts Ernie's advice but the steering system on a Model-A is very tight when rebuilt correctly. As such, the stabilizer only makes the steering action heavier IMO. I personally have taken off WAY more than I can think about because they were unnecessary. Others might chime in on how they have seen failures of these stabilizers when a car was on tour and the shaft locked.

I agree.

Leatherback 57 10-08-2019 05:46 PM

Thanks for everyones response. I'll try it out and take off if and when I can spend to time rebuilding only thing left(steering box)?? Everything else is new and tight and within specs??

Jeff P. / MN 10-08-2019 09:28 PM

I took the stabilizer off my ‘30 Tudor a year ago and the car steers easier, much easier. Brent is exactly right in my instance....

ryanheacox 10-09-2019 06:51 AM

Mine will be coming off when I rebuild the front end and steering box over the winter. My front end is on the loose side of acceptable currently and the stabilizer gives me peace of mind.

Jim M 10-09-2019 07:57 AM

Ditto to Ryan

daveymc29 10-09-2019 08:36 AM

Mine came off because I watched the action through a lock to lock test and it bent the tie rod a bit. Didn't like the idea of bending it back an forth with every turn. I guess the tie rod could take that for a long time before it would break, but I took it off and the car drove fine. Someone fixed something that wasn't broke. That was on a 29 ccpu with a F100 box in it. I drove it to Portland and back to the SF Bay Area with no wobble issue, which is what that stabilizer is for, after it was removed. They scare me.

marty in Ohio 10-10-2019 06:56 AM

I've had a "shimmy shock" on my car for several years. Last winter we rebuilt the steering gear box and tightened everything up. I don't know why I didn't remove the stabilizer at that time, but after reading this post I'm wondering if the car will steer easier without it. I'm going to remove it today and test drive. I'll let you all know the results.
Marty

WHN 10-10-2019 07:07 AM

Comparing this conversation to different oils I think is wrong. The wrong oil will not lock up your front end!

Rebuild your front end completely and correctly. Don’t forget the front spring and while your at it, do your brakes!

Model A’s that are correct, drive like a dream.

Brent does a lot of cars. He is making a great point. Enjoy.

marty in Ohio 10-10-2019 11:13 AM

Well, I took the stabilizer off and there is no death wobble, which is why I put it on in the first place. I can't really say that the car steers easier, but I'll give it a try.
Marty

BRENT in 10-uh-C 10-10-2019 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marty in Ohio (Post 1808238)
Well, I took the stabilizer off and there is no death wobble, which is why I put it on in the first place. I can't really say that the car steers easier, but I'll give it a try.
Marty

Marty, if your stabilizer is worn or defective, it may not have added any resistance to the steering. A quick way to tell would be to see what kind of resistance you have when you push the steering stabilizer's shaft in or pull it outward. If it is difficult to push or pull, then your steering box must overcome the resistance of the stabilizer plus steer the vehicle which should make for a heavier steer feeling.

marty in Ohio 10-10-2019 02:33 PM

Thanks, Brent. I'll give it a try.
Marty

daren007 10-10-2019 06:18 PM

A stabilizer is a band aid on a much needed problem that should not be overlooked.