The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Dual carb linkage (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=268175)

oldgrayman 08-20-2019 10:12 AM

Dual carb linkage

1 Attachment(s)
I have a ‘46 PU with a 59AB engine and a single 2-bbl carb. For no other reason than to add to the looks of the engine, I want to switch to a dual carb setup. There are tons of pictures online showing the driver’s side linkage, but I want to retain the original hard throttle line and control the carbs from the passenger’s side. Is this possible? Would I still be able to use the hard line to control the chokes? Thanks!

41Joe 08-20-2019 10:57 AM

Re: Dual carb linkage

1 Attachment(s)
I did a Google search and found this on the HAMB.
It looks like you can use the stock linkage for your throttle and choke.

B-O-B 08-20-2019 11:06 AM

Look closely at the picture. You will notice that you only use ONE choke just remove the other one.
Get in touch with Charley Ny he will fix up with your project.

tubman 08-20-2019 11:07 AM

It looks like the choke rod has been shortened, which is pretty easy to do. Also, only one of the chokes is hooked up which is really all you need.

deuce_roadster 08-20-2019 11:17 AM

What has been said above X2. I have 2 cars with dual carbs, my avatar has 97s, my 5w has 81s. I only use 1 choke which is plenty for each car.

Bill OH 08-20-2019 12:46 PM

I have dual 97s and I do not have chokes connected

supereal 08-20-2019 12:47 PM

For everyday driving, a "progressive" throttle linkage is usually best. Flathead engines are touchy about the carb volume, particularly at low speeds.

oldgrayman 08-20-2019 03:18 PM

Thanks for the info and advice! Excited to set this up.

tubman 08-20-2019 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supereal (Post 1790049)
For everyday driving, a "progressive" throttle linkage is usually best. Flathead engines are touchy about the carb volume, particularly at low speeds.

This may be true for a "Regular" manifold (one with the carbs biased towards the rear), but I've never heard of anyone doing this successfully with a "Super" manifold (one where the carbs are placed directly over the two sets of four intake ports). The example shown is somewhere between a "Regular" and a "Super", so I am not sure how it would run with progressive. I would expect it to be worse than a regular, but perhaps a little better than a "Super". I've never had one of those, so I don't really know, but I expect it to have fuel distribution problems.

On a regular, the primary is the front carb, with the rear carb coming in later.

alanwoodieman 08-20-2019 09:29 PM

biggest problem I have had is getting the jet size that works best. I have done several of these using the adjustable main jets from speedway and have been impressed as to how easy it is the set up the carbs correctly

deuce_roadster 08-20-2019 10:33 PM

My avatar 32 has an old Edelbrock Super with straight linkage, no progressive, my 5w has an old Eddie Meyer intake with same kind of linkage, both carbs coming in at same time. No drivability problems at all. The 97s are jetted down, the 81s are fine as is.
I believe the progressive linkage is most useful on tri power setups.

JSeery 08-20-2019 10:55 PM

There are several members here on the Barn that run stright linkage on both tri & quad setups.

chap52 08-21-2019 07:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I ran straight linkage on dual, fully functioning 94's. I got jets and power valves from CharlieNY. He had me put one of his PV plugs in the front carb. Ran great, looked cool, and made folks smile. Chap