The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Ford Flathead Powered Chrysler Boat (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26945)

OldRapidRoy 01-25-2011 07:42 PM

Ford Flathead Powered Chrysler Boat

Hi new to this forum and searching for information on a 21-bolt motor I have apparently its from a boat.Because it has water cooled aluminum exhaust manifolds, aluminum heads, aluminum intake dual carbs with them slanted forward by a wedge underneath. I,ve found one old picture of a Chrysler boat with a flathead in it just wondering if anyone eles has heard of this.
Thanks Roy,

Jack E/NJ 01-25-2011 08:00 PM

Re: Ford Flathead Powered Chrysler Boat

Can you post the picture of the Chrysler boat you found? Chris-Craft often used Ford flathead V8s in the 30s & 40s.

Thanks

Jack E/NJ

51 MERC-CT 01-26-2011 08:46 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Had a flathead powered boat back in the early 50's (not Chrysler).
It used a standard automobile engine with aftermarket accessories to make it usable in a boat. There were many flatheads used in boats with different designs and /or manufacturers.

A couple of 21 studders in boats.

OldRapidRoy 01-29-2011 09:49 PM

Thanks for the replies!! I did not know that Chris Craft used a flat head but that is probably were these boat motor parts came from because my father-in-law was a great fan of Chris Craft so mystery solved. Again Thanks for replies.
Roy,
PS Thanks for pictures it makes some of my parts make sense.

F6Forrest 01-30-2011 08:28 AM

The old guys tell me flatheads were very popular in the pushboats that pushed the Skipjacks while oystering.

blucar 01-30-2011 11:45 AM

From about 1967 through Aug. '77 I had a 1953 Builtright, 18' w/8CM... The engine had a Howard cam, 4 barrel on a Edlebrock, Mallory ign. trans was a velvet drive.
The boat was a "classic design" inboard, speed boat. The engine was covered, mounted in the center of the hull behind the front bench seat. The hull was not planked like a Chris, it was glassed over plywood.... No maintenance problems.
The boat was a great ski boat, very quiet with lots of torque. I taught a lot of kids how to ski behind that boat.
All of my friends had Hot Dog flat bottoms with monster engines that would not idle. Since my boat was quiet and smooth, it was the favored boat for beer, etc., runs to the marina.
As my kids grew the boat stayed the same, being only 18' with teenagers I decided to re-power it with a SBC... I bought the engine and adapters, then changed my mind, opting for a new 24' day cruiser. I sold the speed boat to a fellow that wanted to keep the boat original..
The V8 60's were very popular in small racing boats, "Cracker Box" boats. The V8 60's were highly modified for boat use..

charles in east texas 01-30-2011 04:39 PM

I have a 60 horse with transmission that came out of a boat in 1964. You never seen so much plumbing pipe and stuff in your life, it looks like a rat nest. Charles