The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Looking for info on CHAMPION cast iron Ford flathead cylinder heads. (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=269298)

Corsa 09-11-2019 01:04 AM

Looking for info on CHAMPION cast iron Ford flathead cylinder heads.

2 Attachment(s)
I'm trying to find out more information on Champion cast iron cylinder heads.
Were these made by the same company who makes the Champion spark plugs?

I've searched all the old threads here but rather than resurrecting a 7 or 8 year old thread in the search for new info I thought this deserved a new one.

I've scoured the web for info and pictures. I've just found a handful of pictures but that's it. I did find a great source for some old catalog info http://vintagewheelcatalogs.com and the owner was very helpful. He sent me scans of the 1953 Fenton catalog I was looking for that showed the Champion heads. It didn't really give me anymore info on the company that made them but it's still good info I didn't have. I also have a pair of the Kogel Rocket Racer heads on the same page. So that was cool to see.

Any help or info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Shawn

51 MERC-CT 09-11-2019 02:55 AM

Re: Looking for info on CHAMPION cast iron Ford flathead cylinder heads.

1 Attachment(s)
It tells you who manufactured them in the ad you posted. And that they are a derivative of Fenton heads.
Suspect that the company has been out of business for a long time.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...6&d=1568188411

tubman 09-11-2019 09:19 AM

Doesn't Dun & Bradstreet have an online database of current and former companies? That may be a source of some information. Just a thought.

flatheadmurre 09-11-2019 11:08 AM

A lot of the cast iron heads was sold to heavy trucks from start...if i remember right the Kogels started out as solution to fire engines pumping and having heat issues named rocket...then later adapted by the race crowd and the higher compression rocket racing was born.
Tubman if you would have made it up to the garage i was pulling my racecar out of you would have seen a set of Champions on the other car in there...but that will be for next year.
Fenton and the other companies casted a lot of heads rebranded for other resellers...

1931 flamingo 09-11-2019 11:43 AM

I've got a set of the Kogel's on my 40.
Paul in CT

Corsa 09-11-2019 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 51 MERC-CT (Post 1797826)
It tells you who manufactured them in the ad you posted. And that they are a derivative of Fenton heads.
Suspect that the company has been out of business for a long time.]

First off thanks everyone for the replies.

So the Standard Automotive Manufacturing Co. may have been making the parts for Champion and Kogel and/or Champion and Kogel were actually part of the same company. I'd like to find more on this possibility.

My first conclusion may have been wrong. I suspected that the Standard Automotive Manufacturing Co was just in reference to the Fenton catalog itself and that was just a collection of speed parts from different companies. I have a Kogel ad that gives a company name of Speedmotive of Covina, California. Actually I have a couple of different Kogel ads but absolutely nothing more on the Champion heads.

Tubman I don't know that I've ever heard of Dun & Bradstreet. I'll check that out and have look. Thanks.

I would have thought a natural fit for the cast iron heads would have been in marine applications. Maybe I need to try and look that direction for more info on Champion.

Cheers,

JSeery 09-11-2019 03:39 PM

Lot of knowledge over on the HAMB, have you posted the question there?

Corsa 09-11-2019 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSeery (Post 1798018)
Lot of knowledge over on the HAMB, have you posted the question there?

Yes, a few days ago.

rotorwrench 09-11-2019 05:54 PM

The Fenton stuff was at the low end of the market so they didn't share the popularity of the companies that are much better known. Most folks wanted the aluminum heads. I'm sure they still sold plenty of them for the folks with less money in their pocket. Folks want them more now because they are harder to find and they don't corrode like cast aluminum. The Kogel ones were popular among those that had higher than normal coolant temperatures as mentioned previously. The things weren't shiny like the polished aluminum stuff but they worked just fine.

petes 50 merc 09-11-2019 07:06 PM

i have a set of champion heads on my merc i bought them back in 2002 they are finned cast iron i dont know how to post pictures