The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Overdrive lockout cable on a '51 Ford (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=269282)

tubman 09-10-2019 06:40 PM

Overdrive lockout cable on a '51 Ford

Thanks to "Swedish Steel", I think I have a place to install the overdrive transmission in my '51 Ford. I want to get as much done as possible before I tie up his shop. Today, I installed the mounting bracket for the "lockout" cable on the bottom of the dash (not an insignificant task). Tomorrow, I want to install the cable itself. There seems to be a blank grommet on the firewall under the hood hinge that looks like the place the cable should come through, but it seems too high up). Also, I have a bracket labeled "O/D Cable to Steering Column Bracket". I don't know how that mounts either. Can someone post a picture of the under-hood routing of the O/D lockout cable on a '51 Ford? (I believe a '49 or '50 should be the same.)

Thanks for any help.

Emmit51 09-10-2019 06:54 PM

Re: Overdrive lockout cable on a '51 Ford

I can do this toward the end of the week if no one else posts, wont be able to get to my car until then

tubman 09-10-2019 07:23 PM

Thanks, I would appreciate it.

leon bee 09-10-2019 11:06 PM

I had a whole collection of under hood pictures..........and I just discovered half are dead. Only got one that shows, (I think), the cable at all:

https://cdn.dealeraccelerate.com/smc...950-ford-sedan

Frank Miller 09-11-2019 07:00 AM

The clip has a hole and clip portion for the cable. Yje hole goes on the bolt that secures the clamp. On my 49 I had to remove a knockout in the firewall to install the cable.

tubman 09-11-2019 09:29 AM

Thanks guys. I think I have the top part figured out. My car has a rubber plug with no holes instead of a knockout in the firewall ( I have the new grommet with the hole), but I think that's the same one. Frank, thanks for the info. I must be slow this morning so I'll have to ask about "the bolt that secures the clamp"; what clamp? "Emmit51" - I'm still a little unclear about the lower parts, so I would appreciate some pictures when you find the time.

I also have what appears to be a clamp, the attaches to one of the transmission side cover bolts,or something else else underneath the car; anyone familiar with this?

Emmit51 09-11-2019 12:35 PM

I'll be at my car on friday, so I can take some pictures then. Car is on jackstands, so shouldn't be a problem to get pics underneath as well. Happy to post here, but if you'd like higher res pics as well, feel free to PM your email and I can send to you.

Jersey Devil 09-11-2019 02:35 PM

Tried to take a picture for you. Where clip is located it is thought to get a good picture.
Clip that Frank talked about is a 3 fingered clip that holds the lockout cable and it is fastened to the what i will call the “u” bolt that fasteners the steering column tube to the steering box. Clip is such that it stands upright and the cable slips between the three fingers of the spring steel clip.

From there I used standard frame clips the route the cable to the transmission.

I will make some calls to see if I can locate a clip for you.

Hope this helps,

To,

Jersey Devil 09-11-2019 03:35 PM

Tubman

MAC’s has the clip listed part# 49-19544-2. $5.95

Hope this helps,

Tom

tubman 09-11-2019 03:39 PM

"Jersey Devil" - Don't bother trying to find the clips as I believe I have them all. I just need to know where they go. I parted out a '50 about 30 years ago and made sure I saved all the clips, etc. The kick-down switch had a broken terminal and the wiring harness was toast, but I believe I got everything else. I was able to source the switch and Harness, so once I get this sorted out, I should be ready to go.

What I could use is a wiring diagram showing ALL of the color-coding on the wiring harness. The generic ones I have been able to find on the internet don't have the color codes at all, and the one in the '49-'51 shop manual only shows about half of them.

When I get this done, I will be looking for a 4.11 "chunk".

Jersey Devil 09-11-2019 04:15 PM

Did my description as to where it goes provide any help. It bolts to the collar where the steering column goes into the steering box. That location provides good sweeping curve in the cable, normal frame clips from there

Think I have wiring diagram if so I will get it to you.

Tom

Frank Miller 09-12-2019 06:23 AM

The clip attaches to the side cover, I forget which bolt think the top back one. I usually get the cable secured to the arm with the arm off the transmission then just bolt it to the transmission. Not sure how much room you have to attach the cable after.

Jersey Devil 09-12-2019 07:40 AM

Hi Frank

I thought the original question was the location of the clip on the steering box. That is what I was referring too.

Hope all is well,

Tom

tubman 09-12-2019 09:45 AM

Actually the original question should have been "Where do any of the clips go". I am installing an O/D in a non-OD car.

Lots of good information on this thread.

tubman 09-12-2019 07:42 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are a couple of pictures of what I have. The first one is the three clips I have for the cable. The one on the left, I believe, goes on the steering column. The second goes on the top rear transmission side cover bolt (on one of my transmissions, that bolt is the only one loose and appears to have been removed at one time). The one on the left looks to fasten the cable to the top of the driver's side air duct. Can anyone confirm this?

The second picture is something that came with the (Chinese made) overdrive lockout cable assembly. The round piece seems to fit over the end of the cable. The "Y" shaped piece seems to be a "staking" tool for the round part. Does anyone know how this works?

Emmit51 09-13-2019 06:11 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Tubman, here ya go. Interior. The cable goes to the engine bay to the top and left of the drivers vent.

Emmit51 09-13-2019 06:17 PM

6 Attachment(s)
And here’s the engine bay. Cable comes in through a rubber grommet above the vent. Then Tied to the fender “tray” with a clip. Then another clip on the base of the steering column. Then (under the car) through an eye bolted to the tranny. After that, clamped to the o/d unit.

tubman 09-13-2019 06:24 PM

Emmit,

Thanks for the pictures. They are just what I needed. Some day, maybe I can do you a favor.

I don't have the bracket that goes on the bellhousing, but I think I can make one if I can't find one.

Tubman.

Emmit51 09-13-2019 06:51 PM

No worries! I’ve already needed, and received, help a few times in the short time i’ve been on the barn. Glad to help someone else for a change

Greg58 09-13-2019 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tubman (Post 1798437)
Here are a couple of pictures of what I have. The first one is the three clips I have for the cable. The one on the left, I believe, goes on the steering column. The second goes on the top rear transmission side cover bolt (on one of my transmissions, that bolt is the only one loose and appears to have been removed at one time). The one on the left looks to fasten the cable to the top of the driver's side air duct. Can anyone confirm this?

The second picture is something that came with the (Chinese made) overdrive lockout cable assembly. The round piece seems to fit over the end of the cable. The "Y" shaped piece seems to be a "staking" tool for the round part. Does anyone know how this works?

That's the cable end and crimping tool, the tool didn't work very good for me I used a industrial cable crimper.