The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Sad Stereo: (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51532)

40ford 10-27-2011 08:49 AM

Sad Stereo:

I installed a nice JVC stereo radio and CD player in my 40 ford.I used a 6 volt to 12 volt positive ground converter for power.Everything works and it sounds great with car not running.When car is running the reception fades out and in real bad.Even with a CD or Ipod hooked up I still have the same problem!Has anyone ran into this problem? Thanks,Russ

Jack E/NJ 10-27-2011 09:13 AM

Re: Sad Stereo:

Radio interference suppression condensers may be needed on the generator's armature terminal, the coil's input terminal and regulator's battery terminal. You should also be using suppression spark plug wires.

Jack E/NJ

rotorwrench 10-27-2011 10:33 AM

They even ran capacitors on the oil and fuel quantity senders on many of the old FoMoCo vehicles with radios. I also remember seeing some sort of gismo that was installed inside the front wheel hubs but I have no idea what that was all about. All that stuff was included in the dealer installation kits for customers that decided they wanted a radio after they bought the vehicle.

Much of the problem is atributable to electrical motors and the OEM generator. Luckily there aren't many electrical motors in old Fords unless they have a heater or something like that. I don't know how much of a load that inverter takes to operate but the old 30 amp systems were taxed by something as simple as hitting the brakes at nite with the lights on. They are taxed even more if you have any ground return paths from electrical components that are dirty or loose. The condition of the electrical wiring can also have an effect with any high resistance leads or terminal connections.

Kerby

Old Henry 10-27-2011 10:46 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is the original radio manual instructions on reducing interference if that is your problem. Sounds like that isn't your problems but just a lack of power.

Old Henry 10-27-2011 10:55 AM

If you are running on the OEM generator you will get highly fluctuating voltage and amperage available that may be too little at times for your inverter and sound system. If the system works better at higher RPM's when the voltage is higher that would be an indication. For the system to work right at lower RPM's you might have to adjust your idle much higher or pull you throttle out (if you have one) to keep the generator powering.

Henry/Kokomo 10-27-2011 04:19 PM

Like so many other things, the Ford electrical system is just that - a system. You have made a significant change to one part of the system - i.e. the load placed on the battery & generator. Given that the old systems were pretty much at capacity, you may be looking at putting on a larger generator or changing to an alternator to enable the power output to keep up with the new demand. Gotta maintain the system's equilebriumin order to get proper performance. FWIW.

jkeesey 10-27-2011 05:12 PM

They also sell noise suppresors that go in line with the radio

Brendan 10-27-2011 07:54 PM

i like to listen to Henry's 8th symphonyb
it shure sounds good!

40ford 10-28-2011 08:04 PM

I am running a 6 volt alternator on a 59AB.

jkeesey 10-28-2011 09:02 PM

Run down to your local pepboys or maybe walmart and get a radio noise supressor, they're pretty cheap especially compared to changing your spark wires and all gauges

$arge 11-01-2011 01:17 PM

any news??? im planning on buying a 6-12v booster as well...

John Kennedy 11-02-2011 10:16 AM

My best guess is you're running out of power. You don't get something for nothing, the converter itself sucks up power. Add the stereo and the amp and speakers, you're tapped out.

TomO 11-02-2011 11:30 AM

Your killer stereo is probably drawing more current than the converter can supply. The PGPI-HC converter can only supply about 2 amps. There are other converters that can supply more current. Here is a link to one supplier.

http://www.pressenter.com/~cmeyer/

Another option is to mount an optima or jumper battery under your seat and run the stereo from it. I bought a Harbor Freight jumper battery for $50 last spring and use it to power my CB and GPS. They are both low current devices and the battery lasts at least 4 days. You could probably get a day out of one with your stereo.