The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Looking for a frame front diagonal (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=240931)

Gary in Mozarks 03-16-2018 11:44 AM

Looking for a frame front diagonal

I need a front diagonal from a 35-40 ford frame. The one that goes from the outside frame to the center and has the brake levers attached to it. Doesn't matter to me if it is the right or left side. Can be cut away so long as the rear 2/3 is in tact. Anyone have a parts frame out there? Thanks Gary

JSeery 03-16-2018 12:44 PM

Re: Looking for a frame front diagonal

Are you referring to the X-member? Or X-member brace? The only brake parts I can think of are the pedal mounting area and on the mech brakes the center section crossover.

Ggmac 03-16-2018 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary in Mozarks (Post 1605810)
I need a front diagonal from a 35-40 ford frame. The one that goes from the outside frame to the center and has the brake levers attached to it. Doesn't matter to me if it is the right or left side. Can be cut away so long as the rear 2/3 is in tact. Anyone have a parts frame out there? Thanks Gary

Can you take a pic or drawing . If got lots of mechanical brake stuff ,removed from years of upgrading . Never marked the old stuff , just stored it .

Gary in Mozarks 03-16-2018 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSeery (Post 1605825)
Are you referring to the X-member? Or X-member brace? The only brake parts I can think of are the pedal mounting area and on the mech brakes the center section crossover.

yes, I need one of the forward X members. (i.e. 1/4 of the x frame) I don't care which side. I don't need any brake parts

Gary in Mozarks 03-17-2018 09:41 AM

I have decided to abandon the all original approach and go with something more driveable.

I purchased a 39 ford frame that had been converted to hotchkiss rear end and Mustang 2 rack and pinion. For some reason they cut away the drivers side front part of the x brace. I need it to mount a dual master cylinder there so I need to put that part of the X brace back.

JSeery 03-17-2018 04:11 PM

If you can't find what you are looking for, I have just had a metal shop bend up a section for me out of new metal.

Gary in Mozarks 03-17-2018 04:42 PM

I may have to do that, THe only problem for me, is that I live out in Cattle country. (it's a 50 mile jaunt to a McDonalds) No such thing as a metal shop around here. It would still involve ordering online and shipping. I looked on ebay and such hoping someone produced a patch panel for it, but haven't found any. My next hope is someone has a frame that is wrecked or such and is willing to sell that piece.

JSeery 03-17-2018 08:35 PM

Are there any farm repair places around? It is not too difficult to bend one up yourself if you have some basic equipment. Another approach is to weld one up out of pieces, that is if you have a welder. Without a few tools like metal saws and welders this could be a difficult task!

Gary in Mozarks 03-17-2018 08:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
You can see in this picture how much of the drivers side front X frame has been cut away. I need to put it back just like the passenger side.

Gary in Mozarks 03-17-2018 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSeery (Post 1606301)
Are there any farm repair places around? It is not too difficult to bend one up yourself if you have some basic equipment. Another approach is to weld one up out of pieces, that is if you have a welder. Without a few tools like metal saws and welders this could be a difficult task!

I agree, If I couldn't find a replacement, I intended to weld one up from three pieces. I thought it would look a lot better if I could use an OEM piece.

JSeery 03-17-2018 10:09 PM

Have you posted on the HAMB, might be a better source for frame parts? But, they may not be a fan of the modified front suspension! :)

rich b 03-18-2018 06:43 AM

The three piece fabricated channel looks like an easy project. Looks like you will be doing a few body mods to use that frame.