The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   From Whitewalls to Blackwalls (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170084)

Greg Jones 05-31-2015 08:39 PM

From Whitewalls to Blackwalls

1 Attachment(s)
The whitewalls on my Cabriolet were basically shot. So I swapped wheels and tires with my all black 30 coupe (currently in drydock) until I spring for a new set of tires. I like the blackwall look on the Cabriolet. Whitewalls look cool too-not trying to reignite the age old debate about tires. Just sharing a photo for your viewing pleasure.....

Mitch//pa 05-31-2015 08:46 PM

Re: From Whitewalls to Blackwalls

Wow that looks so much better..
I love black wheels, wouldn't have it any other way on my cars...

Greg Jones 05-31-2015 09:04 PM

My all black coupe is feeling kind of silly with red wheels and whitewalls, however.

C26Pinelake 05-31-2015 09:05 PM

I personally would not consider black walls on my Cabriolets. On my truck, yes !
Wayne

Barber31 05-31-2015 10:31 PM

I agree Greg. It looks better with black walls.

Mike V. Florida 05-31-2015 11:28 PM

White walls on light color cars don't bother me like WW on dark cars. The first thing my eyes are drawn to are the wheels not the whole car when it has WW's.

Jeff P. / MN 06-01-2015 08:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
It is getting to be time for new tires on my '29 Cabriolet. Yes, I am in a quandary concerning WW vs Black tires. I think the new look on Greg's Cabby is terrific. I did the same with my maroon S/W 4dr. several years ago and was very pleased with the more period look. However, I do agree with Mike V. that light cars look OK with WW. I am leaning toward WW and keeping my wheels black.

wallster 06-01-2015 08:37 AM

They both look great, I don't think that car can look bad.

Wally

29Cabriolet 06-01-2015 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff P. / MN (Post 1095778)
It is getting to be time for new tires on my '29 Cabriolet. Yes, I am in a quandary concerning WW vs Black tires. I think the new look on Greg's Cabby is terrific. I did the same with my maroon S/W 4dr. several years ago and was very pleased with the more period look. However, I do agree with Mike V. that light cars look OK with WW. I am leaning toward WW and keeping my wheels black.

Just did that on my '29. After much debate with myself replaced the WWs with new WWs. I like the look with black wheels!

mlp623 06-01-2015 08:51 AM

Are those goodyear? I am thinking about swapping mine out for a set of Goodyear - do you like them?

Matt

JohnLaVoy 06-01-2015 08:59 AM

I like the Goodyears, have them on two cars, and yes both whitewalls!

mshmodela 06-01-2015 09:02 AM

All a matter of choice, from a historic point of view blackwalls look the part, i.e. your car will look older and less "pimped" out... Model A's back in their day were basic transportion for the masses. Your car your choice but as a blackwall fan your car looks better with blackwalls... Today there are some A's that are painted in a manner that whitewalls are a better match.

29Cabriolet 06-01-2015 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlp623 (Post 1095789)
Are those goodyear? I am thinking about swapping mine out for a set of Goodyear - do you like them?

Matt

My replacements are Goodyear Balloons. The ones I removed were Firestones. I like the ride on the new tires, but I'm not sure I can attribute that solely to the tires. Mine was a major effort replacing brakes hubs, drums, bearings and much associated hardware.

Tacoma Bob 06-01-2015 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida (Post 1095651)
White walls on light color cars don't bother me like WW on dark cars. The first thing my eyes are drawn to are the wheels not the whole car when it has WW's.

Spot on Mike concerning where your eye is drawn. That is the exact reason I chose whitewalls. My car is a nicer driver and I look at W/W as a safety item. With all these "texters" and other types of "no drivers" I want to be noticed and not hit.:eek:

C26Pinelake 06-01-2015 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlp623 (Post 1095789)

Matt

I have Goodyears on five of my Model A Ford cars and two Chevs. Let me assure you. They are worth the investment in both looks and wear !
Wayne

Bill in Al 06-01-2015 10:45 AM

How about a set of each to suit your mood?!! I like the black.

31Abone 06-01-2015 11:13 AM

white walls and cream wheels make a Model A look like a whorehouse on wheels .. I use only black tires.

todd3131 06-01-2015 11:14 AM

I'm a whitewall lover but I do like the black and black on your car it looks classy

rusty12 06-01-2015 01:20 PM

My vote is for the black walls.

HoarseWhisperer 06-01-2015 03:26 PM

When I look at the two images of your Cabriolet, the image with GY blackwalls look classier. Well done!