The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Cast Iron brakes (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=297863)

tinman7 04-27-2021 01:11 PM

Cast Iron brakes

How can I tell the difference between steel and CI break hubs. I have a model A and have nothing to compare it with. Hope its not too much of a dumb question.

160B 04-27-2021 01:20 PM

Re: Cast Iron brakes

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a photo of a steel drum and a cast iron drum, with a red circle over the difference. The steel drum has a rolled edge and the cast iron drum has a solid edge.

Gene F 04-27-2021 07:22 PM

And there is a significant weight difference. Go to a mail order, like Raybestos, or one of the suppliers we normally deal with. Lots of them have cut-sheets, or weights for shipping.

jak 04-28-2021 09:10 AM

i have a cut away sample showing both the stamped steel and the cast. but I cannot seem to figure out how to post a picture from my computer.

jak 04-28-2021 01:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jak (Post 2011630)
i have a cut away sample showing both the stamped steel and the cast. but I cannot seem to figure out how to post a picture from my computer.

I figured it out

cast iron is on top the stamped steel is on the bottom.

BigGameJames 04-28-2021 02:03 PM

Hello all.

New member here.

Jeff/Illinois 05-02-2021 08:15 PM

Just curious, does anyone sell steel brake drums?

BigGameJames welcome:)

160B 05-03-2021 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois (Post 2012898)
Just curious, does anyone sell steel brake drums?

BigGameJames welcome:)

Not that I am aware of, even if they did I do not think there would be much interest as the cast iron drums improve braking due the improved heat dissipation you get from the cast iron brake drums.

Gene F 05-03-2021 06:07 PM

A word about cast iron drums. This weekend our local chapter had a "test=n-tune" where we all do minor fixes to our cars to ready them for the touring season. A member was there with a A he bought. He drove it over never using his O/D because no one ever taught him. I took him for a spin in mine to teach him, and then on the way back I had him drive. He almost "put me through the windshield" (not really, but you know what I mean), and said "wow you really got good brakes". Anyone still think cast iron drums with equalizing wedges don't count?

CarlG 05-05-2021 01:11 PM

I've got the cast iron drums, still haven't put equalizing wedges in. (I have them still in the box on the shelf).

Jeff/Illinois 05-07-2021 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 160B (Post 2013135)
Not that I am aware of, even if they did I do not think there would be much interest as the cast iron drums improve braking due the improved heat dissipation you get from the cast iron brake drums.

Good points as you and Gene noted.

I can see where they work better and Ford thought they must have been a good idea to bring them out in '31 from the factory. The rolled ends look more authentic to me than the flat part of a cast drum, but that's just me:) Almost no one else would ever notice that!