The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Speedometer for 46 Ford Car (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=336256)

Jacobs1946 02-29-2024 06:00 PM

Speedometer for 46 Ford Car

3 Attachment(s)
Hello, my speedometer never has worked so when i pulled the rear end out this last fall I discovered a broken speedo cable end. Bought a new one and installed. Speedometer still not working. Once I pulled the new cable, I saw the cable was snapped again in the same spot - at the torque tube end.
Everything looks good on the speedometer gear at the torque tube, so I pulled out the speedometer and it's really stuck. When I put a drill on it with a square bit it will register speed and the odometer seems to work fine, but it is really gummed up in there, takes a lot o torque to turn it. There are no screws to take it apart to get some lubricant in there. Would it be foolish to drill out the rivets and get some WD40 in there, or will everything come falling out if I do this? I'd like to have a speedo, just wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem. I have another new speedometer cable but I know it would be toast if I reinstall thanks for any guidance!

Bruce of MN 02-29-2024 08:28 PM

Re: Speedometer for 46 Ford Car

Did you also post on the early V8 forum?

Gary WA 02-29-2024 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacobs1946 (Post 2294576)
Hello, my speedometer never has worked so when i pulled the rear end out this last fall I discovered a broken speedo cable end. Bought a new one and installed. Speedometer still not working. Once I pulled the new cable, I saw the cable was snapped again in the same spot - at the torque tube end.
Everything looks good on the speedometer gear at the torque tube, so I pulled out the speedometer and it's really stuck. When I put a drill on it with a square bit it will register speed and the odometer seems to work fine, but it is really gummed up in there, takes a lot o torque to turn it. There are no screws to take it apart to get some lubricant in there. Would it be foolish to drill out the rivets and get some WD40 in there, or will everything come falling out if I do this? I'd like to have a speedo, just wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem. I have another new speedometer cable but I know it would be toast if I reinstall thanks for any guidance!

No WD40 Tho use a better lubricant

J Franklin 02-29-2024 09:22 PM

Use 3in1, watch, or sewing machine oil. WD-40 will ruin pot metal.

katy 03-01-2024 11:32 AM

Contact "papanick" [email protected]

Jacobs1946 03-02-2024 03:42 PM

Thank you! I think not! I'll do that!