The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   off-topic, but... (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=335368)

tom1948 02-02-2024 01:15 PM

off-topic, but...

I was looking through youtube videos yesterday and saw there is a guy in Cali who coverts classics(the one in the video was a "49 Merc ) to electric. My opinion on this is: anyone who does this should be sterilized so they can't pass this affliction on to the next generation. Any other opinions?:eek:

19Fordy 02-02-2024 01:39 PM

Re: off-topic, but...

Tom: Here ya go.
https://www.motortrend.com/features/...2018-mtsema18/

deuce_roadster 02-02-2024 01:59 PM

It remines me of the people who put a plastic Lamborghini looking body on a VW belly pan. Why?
Not everything that could be done, should be.
The carbon footprint of making the battery and the fact that most of the electricity in the country is generated by burning coal or some other carbon based fuel FAR exceeds the pollution generated by the few miles I drive my old cars, Ford or Brand X.

Tim Ayers 02-02-2024 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deuce_roadster (Post 2288267)
It remines me of the people who put a plastic Lamborghini looking body on a VW belly pan. Why?
Not everything that could be done, should be.
The carbon footprint of making the battery and the fact that most of the electricity in the country is generated by burning coal or some other carbon based fuel FAR exceeds the pollution generated by the few miles I drive my old cars, Ford or Brand X.

My thoughts exactly.

petehoovie 02-02-2024 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 19Fordy (Post 2288262)

https://www.motortrend.com/uploads/s...ound%7C875:492

cas3 02-02-2024 02:25 PM

Prolly sits so low due to the weight of the battery, ya think!

Tim Ayers 02-02-2024 02:41 PM

Underneath are dual AM Racing permanent magnetic electric motors producing a combined 400 horsepower and 470 ft-lb of torque which are capable of whirring the machine to 120mph with approximately 150 to 200 miles of range.

All that for 400 hp and 150-200 miles of range? Hard pass.

falconedsel 02-02-2024 02:50 PM

Its a new generation of builders...

Gene1949 02-02-2024 02:54 PM

Gentlemen, Our sport/hobby is not just for purists as some would like it to be. The EV Merc is just an exercise demonstration. So is 3 duces or aluminum heads or dual points or cutting up a script battery to HIDE a modern battery. The list goes on.
The EV/battery technology is emerging weather we like it or not.

I installed 8kw in solar panels. My light bill last year was $240 dollars (connection fees) and my wife it trying to kill me with pneumonia here in the desert SW. Can you imagine how much pollution those KWHs would have generated using fossil fuels vs the pollution to construct those panels??

No gentlemen, the technology isn't for everyone but it's coming.

Hitman 02-02-2024 03:35 PM

I"m always surprised when car hobbyists bash another hobbyist because one doesn't like the style of the other. It's like hating on the guy with a well restored, stock Chrysler Airflow, just because it's not a Ford. We're all going after the same goals, just pick a different look and path to get there. Honestly, some of these builders like Icon and Singer do more for the hobby than you or I do. They will do more for us to keep our cars on the roads with minimal regulation that anyone on this site can do. It's a hobby, and we're part of it.

You should check out their website and there builds. Seriously impressive stuff! No I don't want one, but I respect their work and style.

Hartman427 02-02-2024 03:40 PM

Yes electric cars are cool but, I’m not pay35k to do it. I think it won’t be widespread until the cost comes down

Tim Ayers 02-02-2024 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hitman (Post 2288290)
I"m always surprised when car hobbyists bash another hobbyist because one doesn't like the style of the other. It's like hating on the guy with a well restored, stock Chrysler Airflow, just because it's not a Ford. We're all going after the same goals, just pick a different look and path to get there. Honestly, some of these builders like Icon and Singer do more for the hobby than you or I do. They will do more for us to keep our cars on the roads with minimal regulation that anyone on this site can do. It's a hobby, and we're part of it.

You should check out their website and there builds. Seriously impressive stuff! No I don't want one, but I respect their work and style.

There is more to the EV game than craftsmanship of boutique builders or the future of automobiles.

This sight is for talking about old Fords and cars and not for political agendas, so I'll end my comment right here.

big job 02-03-2024 06:08 AM

Here is my proof! I was given a golf cart in good shape. 36 volts in good shape. Wife driving constantly with dog. Plug the thing in every day all night. Watch my electric meter spin and my head to spin getting the bill. Gave that away and bought a gas cart. I swear it can run all month on a quart of gas till this day. A small example. a large example, a common fleet of say 25 school busses plugged in all night times the whole country? ain't going to happen without more power plants!

Ol' Ron 02-03-2024 09:15 AM

Gota Keep him, they thought Edison was crazy too! But it's guys like him that come up with something that frees ys from plowing our fields my hand. Just remember pobodies nerfect???

deuce_roadster 02-03-2024 11:11 AM

Well, I guess this forum is no longer just about flatheads and keeping them on the road. There must be a forum for electric cars somewhere that Merc would be appropriate. Old Fords with BBC and SBC engines in the past were encouraged to go elsewhere, so why not this? Just My 2cents. I won't waste any more time on this subject.

Tim Ayers 02-03-2024 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big job (Post 2288408)
Here is my proof! I was given a golf cart in good shape. 36 volts in good shape. Wife driving constantly with dog. Plug the thing in every day all night. Watch my electric meter spin and my head to spin getting the bill. Gave that away and bought a gas cart. I swear it can run all month on a quart of gas till this day. A small example. a large example, a common fleet of say 25 school busses plugged in all night times the whole country? ain't going to happen without more power plants!

Exactly. That is my point. There is so much involved in "going electric", but people don't want to talk about that reality.

tubman 02-03-2024 09:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
To add a little humor to this thread, I thought you guys might enjoy this shot.

jplutz 02-03-2024 10:35 PM

All these restomods have fake patina painted on the new body parts.
If you want to see real patina, sneak up on my Buelah! The rust is real and jagged and hurts, and the top coat is peeling off like sunburned skin. Every time I pick some off, more grows. And she ain't house broken yet...she bites!!
If you have old paint, keep it if you want that look, don't fake it over new hoods and fenders. JPL

oldbugger 02-03-2024 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tubman (Post 2288611)

And it looks to be a FORD

GB SISSON 02-04-2024 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tubman (Post 2288611)

Thanks Denny.Truly an awesome photo. We needed a little humor here and you delivered. G'nite all.