The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Tire Dressing (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=266601)

Bob Bidonde 07-20-2019 07:42 AM

Tire Dressing

Digging around on the internet, I read that tire dressings with silicone are harmful to the rubber in tires, especially those dressings with petroleum products in them.

Professional detailers recommend using a quality water base tire dressing without silicone that leaves the tire looking like fresh new rubber (no glossy shine). They also recommend that the tire be cleaned with soapy water before applying any dressing.

What tire dressing are you using?

leo 07-20-2019 08:15 AM

Re: Tire Dressing

Hey Bob, I posted this quite some time ago:
Armorall Extreme Tire Shine GEL, put this on blackwalls a couple of years ago. Slowly began to notice the tires appeared to be checked and turned a mustard brown color. It was this product oxidizing on the surface of the tires. Had to scrub like a banshee to get the stuff off and now the tires look nice again.......
After that the mustard brown came back and it was not until I used mineral spirits which some one recommended was I able to finally remove that crap.

katy 07-20-2019 09:17 AM

Quote:

What tire dressing are you using?
None, don't use it. My cars look the way they are, not dressed up for Saturday night show off.

duke36 07-20-2019 10:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
May want to try this stuff from Miller's. We've also used it on rubber running boards on various classics. It's water based.

Werner 07-20-2019 01:40 PM

I used "Armor all" three or four times. Now the 1/2 year old Firestones showes fine cracks in the white flanks.

Gary WA 07-20-2019 05:39 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Armor all not good, I use Griots Vinyl and rubber on tires and tops of my A's,just my take on it!!

whirnot 07-20-2019 07:42 PM

I have always used Bleche white on my whitewalls. Nothing but soap and water on the others.

01A 07-22-2019 08:19 AM

I agree with Duke36 on using the M.E. Miller Black Tire Paint. I have a nice set of Firestone's that had a mustard brown color that I could not clean up or remove, seemed embedded in the rubber as a permanent stain. I used the Miller Black Tire Paint and it made the black tire look new again. If you get it on the White walls wipe it off before it sets in. It's water based so will wipe off if you get it immediately, however if your intent is to turn your white walls into black walls it will do that after 3 or four coats. I've done just that since the white walls were also discolored and could not be cleaned up. Now I cannot tell which side of the tire was the white side. Both sides look like a new black wall tire.

JRShaw 07-22-2019 09:57 AM

01A - Wow - Thank You!! I just got a set of '31 running boards, and there are brownish stain areas which will not scrub off, wash off or anything else. The Millers should do it for me. I had considered RIT fabric dye, but this solves the problem.

loubob 07-22-2019 06:29 PM

"Eagle One Tire Shine Swipes"

Contains water & silicone

Dries to an excellent, non- shiny, finish!!!

For blackwalls only.

Bob Bidonde 07-28-2019 10:20 AM

I just tried Armorall Tire Cleaner with a plastic bristle brush. After 3 attempts to clean the yellowish film off of the tires each wheel, there is still traces of the yellowish stuff on the tires. However, the Armorall did remove a lot of the film, just not enough.

My next attempt will be Armorall Tire Cleaner with a Scotchbrite scrub pad or a steel wool pad if necessary.

Chuck Sea/Tac 07-28-2019 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary WA (Post 1779321)
Armor all not good, I use Griots Vinyl and rubber on tires and tops of my A's,just my take on it!!

I just googled this, and watched the video. Looks like good stuff— water-based. Too bad I didn’t read this on Friday, because I swung by Griots in Tacoma and picked up the car washing supplies donation for the regional meet in Bellevue.

History 07-29-2019 07:18 AM

The best way I've found to clean tires is get stuck in wet snow. I know that sounds rediculous and I'm not seriously recommending it but I have been stuck before and it cleans the tires like new. You have to be in the right snow though and of course the tires cant hit the dirt below.

Armourall is junk as far as I'm concerned and I don't use anything on tires because most of the stuff I've tried leaves the brownish yellow crap behind later.

I might try some of the stuff mentioned.

katy 07-29-2019 10:12 AM

These work good for cleaning whitewalls: https://www.amazon.com/pack-Steel-Wo.../dp/B07MRKSGQB

Jeff/Illinois 07-29-2019 11:59 AM

Car detailers always said to stay far away from Armor All, it will ruin what you put it on. Dries out the parts and develops cracks.

I ruined a set of tires on one of our Model A's from using the stuff back in the '70's before I didn't know any better. Also ruined the dash pad on my '67 Ford Galaxie. All that AA junk was deep sixed many many years ago.

I thought that spray on silicone was OK, I'll have to look into this. I always assumed it was good for rubber I may have been wrong, thanks for the heads up.

Tom Wesenberg 08-01-2019 10:02 AM

Silicone spray messed up the A/C vents in my modern car. I should have read the instructions first, as it says NOT FOR PLASTICS.

I also like the tires natural, and would NEVER use Armor All after I was told about it back in the 70's.

Mike V. Florida 08-01-2019 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leo (Post 1779179)
Hey Bob, I posted this quite some time ago:
Armorall Extreme Tire Shine GEL, put this on blackwalls a couple of years ago. Slowly began to notice the tires appeared to be checked and turned a mustard brown color. It was this product oxidizing on the surface of the tires. Had to scrub like a banshee to get the stuff off and now the tires look nice again.......
After that the mustard brown came back and it was not until I used mineral spirits which some one recommended was I able to finally remove that crap.

"Tire sidewalls turn brown mainly because of an element added to the rubber called antiozonant. It saves tires from premature drying and cracking due to the process of oxidation. Tire browning is usually called blooming. It's a continuing process that can be prevented by thoroughly cleaning and protecting the tires."

https://www.utires.com/articles/tire...brown-prevent/

31 ford 08-30-2019 11:29 PM

This method takes a little time and is for black wall tires. First wash the tires thoroughly and allow to dry. Use a small shoe polish applicator brush and apply black shoe polish to half of the tire. Immediately buff off with a shoe polish brush. Continue same process to the other half of the tire. Result is a deep luster, not a shine. IMO it looks era appropriate and maybe how your A once displayed on Henry's show room floor.

tiger.1000 08-31-2019 12:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If you DON'T have whitewalls, a splash of cellulose thinners on a cloth wiped along the sidewall does a great job leaving a dull shine. Nothing better !

Werner 08-31-2019 02:02 PM

No this is not good! Nitro dilution dissolves the plasticizers in the rubbermix. In addition, degreasing reduces UV protection. Through both, the tires age faster, the flanks get cracked / become porous.

Refatting with shoe cream is well suited.