The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New Radiator, Berg vs Brassworks (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=264548)

HS 06-07-2019 12:34 PM

New Radiator, Berg vs Brassworks

I guess I'm going to bite the Bullet and finally replace my old and tired 1928/29 older reproduction radiator. It has been a good one, been across the USA and back but at this point its time for retirement.

I'm looking at two Radiators, Berg's and Brassworks. Both are quality items. The Berg Radiator that I'm looking at is a hefty $795 plus ship&H with Brassworks priced at $645 plus S&H ship, Both are the flat tube with 10 fins per inch-- modern efficient cores. If any you have or had one of these, I would love to see your comments/advice regarding what you think about these two radiators.

Have a Great day,
Hugh

CarlG 06-07-2019 12:38 PM

Re: New Radiator, Berg vs Brassworks

Mine is a '31, from Berg's. Very pleased with it, no fit problems at all.

Jersey Mike 06-07-2019 02:49 PM

I bought a Berg radiator for my 29 Speedster it works great. You'll probably need a 160 deg. thermostat. My ran at about 130-140 deg. without a themostat. Check to see if the Brassworks is 2 or 3 rows of tubes. The 31 I bought for a customer only had 2 rows of tubes. Hope this helps.

hotrodart 06-07-2019 03:52 PM

My son got one for his '31from Brassworks about 25 years ago.....trouble free.....

BRENT in 10-uh-C 06-07-2019 03:58 PM

Hugh, check your text message.

john in illinois 06-07-2019 04:10 PM

I have a recored original with an extra row of tubes from Bertís. Great radiator but people in my club really like Bergs. There are several and all fit and work well. A while back Brassworks had fit problems with necks. Maybe they have it fixed now.

John

The Brassworks 06-07-2019 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jersey Mike (Post 1765356)
I bought a Berg radiator for my 29 Speedster it works great. You'll probably need a 160 deg. thermostat. My ran at about 130-140 deg. without a themostat. Check to see if the Brassworks is 2 or 3 rows of tubes. The 31 I bought for a customer only had 2 rows of tubes. Hope this helps.

Thank goodness. Three rows would have hit your customer's fan in a standard Model A. You get 2.93x's the cooling surface area with each tube because of the elliptical shape e.g. fewer of them gives you more cooling.

Davew 06-07-2019 09:44 PM

I have a Bergs. Had to use cardboard in front of the radiator this spring to warm it up.

al's28/33 06-07-2019 11:38 PM

Brassworks since 2001, no issues ever! and use a thermostat. Never had one issue with overheating even on 105 degree afternoons......

Russ/40 06-07-2019 11:40 PM

I chose the Berg, at the time based on availability. Berg had them on the shelf and Brassworks had 4 week availability. I'm happy I got the Berg. I like the cast brass input output fittings.

pbishop 06-08-2019 12:55 AM

In 2015, installed a 'Brassworks' in my 1931 Coupe. Had to do a little increase diameter of lower mounting holes. Other than that the radiator fit well and has worked wonderfully. I have a Weber two barrel and can now drive the Model A 'wide-open' at over 65 mph for miles-and-miles and have 'NO' over-heating issues (runs around 175 degrees without coolant - Tampa, FL. summers).

30 Closed Cab PU 06-08-2019 08:17 AM

I used a Bergs replacement last winter due to having a problem with an undersized aftermarket 2 row core radiator . Brassworks is the only 2 row I am aware of that is a good working 2 row radiator.

If ordering from Brassworks insure you thoroughly read and and follow all the info on their website. Call them to insure you understand, and ask any questions before ordering. Brassworks, there have been past reports of minor fitment issues, and incorrectly sized inlet/outlets - am unsure if these have been corrected. Some models of Brassworks are made to Ford prints, and can be used on cars being judged.

I went with Bergs, never a report of a problem with them, and wanted something absolutely drop in replaceable, no fitment or mounting modifications needed. So far is working great, but waiting for hot weather to confirm no issue on my recently rebuilt motor.

31a 06-08-2019 11:29 PM

I have used Brassworkks with no problems run a thermostat

HS 06-09-2019 06:44 AM

Brent,
Sorry I can't get a Text message

Thanks,
Hugh

duke36 06-09-2019 11:58 AM

Some of the repro radiator caps may not fit the new radiators. Use of a thermostat is subject to much discussion especially some purported lack of flow to the # 3 and 4 cylinders.

diomed 06-09-2019 12:24 PM

I bought a Berg's for my 1930 Tudor. Last summer I took it out on a 118 degree day to see what happened. Drove in street traffic, freeway, etc. Hottest it got was 210 in stop and go traffic. I was pretty happy with that. It also bolted right in, no modifications and all holes and brackets lined up.

Railcarmover 06-09-2019 01:30 PM

I saved 3 out of 6 'bad' radiators by back flushing them with an industrial hot water/chemical pressure washer..Vintage precision thermostat does not impede flow to 3 and 4 cyl.

old31 06-09-2019 07:03 PM

I installed a Bergs, it fit well and it cools cools cools.

37 Coupe 06-09-2019 07:10 PM

I don't think I have ever seen one bad or negative comment on Berg radiators since last fall when I started checking them out and bought one from Gary Bergbower.

ericr 06-09-2019 08:39 PM

no matter who you choose I would talk to them about your radiator shell, and whether there will be fit issues. the '29 radiator shell is an awkward fit originally and repros present problems.