The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   They're Still Out There (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=258194)

Ken/Alabama 01-25-2019 10:11 PM

They're Still Out There
 

1 Attachment(s)
Looked at this 40 Tudor today. 48K original miles , original upholstery , owners hand book in glovebox tool kit and Jack in trunk. One repaint in the 60s. . Been right here in my home town unknown to me. Not running,brakes need to be rebuilt. His price is $20K not negotiable.

mhsprecher 01-26-2019 12:28 PM

Re: They're Still Out There
 

If you have room and the $, buy it.

fortyfords 01-27-2019 08:37 AM

Re: They're Still Out There
 

There are lots of 40 Fords out there, I'm looking for a coupe just like that sedan in that price range.

Kube 01-27-2019 11:44 AM

Re: They're Still Out There
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken/Alabama (Post 1720035)
Looked at this 40 Tudor today. 48K original miles , original upholstery , owners hand book in glovebox tool kit and Jack in trunk. One repaint in the 60s. . Been right here in my home town unknown to me. Not running,brakes need to be rebuilt. His price is $20K not negotiable.

He's a bit on the "proud side". Much nicer Tudors are typically just in that price range.
I believe there are lot of guys, especially the older boys, that have not kept up with value trends.

Ken/Alabama 01-27-2019 11:51 AM

Re: They're Still Out There
 

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kube (Post 1720577)
He's a bit on the "proud side". Much nicer Tudors are typically just in that price range.
I believe there are lot of guys, especially the older boys, that have not kept up with value trends.

That's my thinking also. An offer has been made. Gonna let him sit on it and see what happens.

drolston 01-27-2019 12:16 PM

Re: They're Still Out There
 

Might as well run the wheels off of them now, because in a generation, you will not be able to give them away. An unrestored Model T is barely worth scrap steel value now, because nobody grew up with them, or knows how to drive them, or wants to work on them.

skidmarks 01-27-2019 12:31 PM

Re: They're Still Out There
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by drolston (Post 1720593)
Might as well run the wheels off of them now, because in a generation, you will not be able to give them away. An unrestored Model T is barely worth scrap steel value now, because nobody grew up with them, or knows how to drive them, or wants to work on them.

They might not bring what they use to, but if you could buy a nice T for scrap hotrodders would be buying them up for donor cars.
I would love to buy a nice 26 27 turtle deck roadster for.scrap price!

HDowse 01-27-2019 12:34 PM

Re: They're Still Out There
 

My Fordor price was $20K three years ago. The brakes, wiring, carb, fuel pump, dizzy all needed rebuilding. Same deal, been in the family for years, lots of original paperwork,including the various owner's gas and oil records in one of those thin, narrow Motor Books right back to the first fill up. I offered $15 and we split the difference. Folks can't believe it's all original inside, 43,000 miles and one paint job forty years ago. Sure hope you get the car. BTW, mine came with the 4:11 rear, did you check on yours? Great for the NH and VT hills but 50-55 is tops for speed.

Kube 01-27-2019 01:25 PM

Re: They're Still Out There
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by HDowse (Post 1720599)
My Fordor price was $20K three years ago. The brakes, wiring, carb, fuel pump, dizzy all needed rebuilding. Same deal, been in the family for years, lots of original paperwork,including the various owner's gas and oil records in one of those thin, narrow Motor Books right back to the first fill up. I offered $15 and we split the difference. Folks can't believe it's all original inside, 43,000 miles and one paint job forty years ago. Sure hope you get the car. BTW, mine came with the 4:11 rear, did you check on yours? Great for the NH and VT hills but 50-55 is tops for speed.

I believe you did quite well threes years ago with your Fordor. Being (now)2019 and it being a Fordor, I doubt it would reach that money now.
Good for you!

Kerk 01-27-2019 05:38 PM

Re: They're Still Out There
 

36 Pump. Waiting to hear from You . Kerk

itslow 01-28-2019 12:43 PM

Re: They're Still Out There
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by drolston (Post 1720593)
Might as well run the wheels off of them now, because in a generation, you will not be able to give them away. An unrestored Model T is barely worth scrap steel value now, because nobody grew up with them, or knows how to drive them, or wants to work on them.

Stop being Chicken Little.

As noted previously, an unrestored T isn't "barely worth scrap steel value now". And when did they ever command a high dollar? As long as I can recollect, A's, B's, and every later model year has been worth more in a like condition; in some cases substantially so.

The sky is not falling.

Tim Ayers 01-28-2019 12:48 PM

Re: They're Still Out There
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kube (Post 1720629)
I believe you did quite well threes years ago with your Fordor. Being (now)2019 and it being a Fordor, I doubt it would reach that money now.
Good for you!

I think he bought it for that price, not sold it. If I'm reading it correctly.

Tim Ayers 01-28-2019 12:51 PM

Re: They're Still Out There
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by itslow (Post 1720971)
Stop being Chicken Little.

As noted previously, an unrestored T isn't "barely worth scrap steel value now". And when did they ever command a high dollar? As long as I can recollect, A's, B's, and every later model year has been worth more in a like condition; in some cases substantially so.

The sky is not falling.

When my roadster is done this spring, I am on the hunt for a T. I want one with an OHV conversion and Buffalo wires.

I agree with you and stop with this chicken little nonsense.

Some dudes need to expand their horizons a little more.

Hot rodding and old Fords are the hot ticket right now. No, they aren't selling on Fordbarn or in Hemmings, but if you get hooked up with the hot rod circles on Instagram and the like, there is an entire other world fooling with these cars and buying up any and all that are decent.

Don't believe me? Check it out for yourself. TROG and the like have given this hobby a much needed shot in the arm.

Vintage Copper 47 01-28-2019 01:52 PM

Re: They're Still Out There
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by drolston (Post 1720593)
Might as well run the wheels off of them now, because in a generation, you will not be able to give them away. An unrestored Model T is barely worth scrap steel value now, because nobody grew up with them, or knows how to drive them, or wants to work on them.

Sad, but true :eek:

A bones 01-28-2019 05:46 PM

Re: They're Still Out There
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by itslow (Post 1720971)
Stop being Chicken Little.

As noted previously, an unrestored T isn't "barely worth scrap steel value now". And when did they ever command a high dollar? As long as I can recollect, A's, B's, and every later model year has been worth more in a like condition; in some cases substantially so.

The sky is not falling.

I'm on your side. The rust buckets and jalopys of yore are getting the attention of those who can fill their desires for collectibles. See Velocity Channel on the weekends.

The 'T' Model Ford, by the end of its run, was lets say, not appreciated. Today the brass ones are climbing. The Black edition has been just too prevalent. As far as using them. Stock. Its mostly a matter of them using you, to maintain and drive (don't get me wrong I thoroughly enjoy the 'tinkering', fussing, safety checks, adjustments and grease rags) Fun as that is, more fun is had making it stroll down the road, or gobble up a hill. Point is, more toy than car.

That ramble brings me to the main point. Cars are cars, collectibles are collectibles. I suspect that a large portion of us Barners are in the car lover category. Down the road of these cars, yes, may come a time when they wont be acceptable for use, despite perfection. They will still be bought and sold.

39portlander 01-28-2019 06:27 PM

Re: They're Still Out There
 

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by drolston (Post 1720593)
Might as well run the wheels off of them now, because in a generation, you will not be able to give them away. An unrestored Model T is barely worth scrap steel value now, because nobody grew up with them, or knows how to drive them, or wants to work on them.

That's pretty funny there, I was the lucky one out of a dozen looking @ my 26 when it was for sale. I did not grow up with them, have not driven it yet and sure the hell love learning about and working on this T and hope to get it on the road soon.

Like my 39, it's the people you meet and knowledge you gain along the way with this car hobby, thanks we have the FordBarn to share it or in your case, not.

alanwoodieman 01-28-2019 07:13 PM

Re: They're Still Out There
 

tudors are and were always my favorite, right after my 40 wagon.

petehoovie 01-29-2019 01:06 PM

Re: They're Still Out There
 

Here's a '40 Tudor advertised on Hemmings > https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...tml?refer=news

TJ 01-29-2019 08:04 PM

Re: They're Still Out There
 

Quote:

Originally Posted by petehoovie (Post 1721358)
Here's a '40 Tudor advertised on Hemmings > https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds...tml?refer=news

That's a nice '40, but good luck in selling it for $29,500, especially with those two spotlights.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.