The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Opinions on using a Shortened Pitman Arm (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91416)

allen 12-10-2012 05:44 PM

Re: Opinions on using a Shortened Pitman Arm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeK (Post 550435)
Cast iron filler rod on a steel forging? Accident waiting to happen.

Mike that is why i say buy them ready made, but some of these and been on cars for years, maybe i'm lucky LoL

Pete 12-10-2012 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeK (Post 550435)
Cast iron filler rod on a steel forging? Accident waiting to happen.

ROGER ON THAT!!!!
Any advice on welded steering or seat belt installation and subsequent failure could leave the advisor open to a lawsuit.
Welded steering is illegal with many insurance companies.
They won't say anything till they are investigating a claim.

1931 flamingo 12-10-2012 06:37 PM

Terry,NJ For $35 why take a chance??
Paul in CT

dave in australia 12-10-2012 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo (Post 550468)
Terry,NJ For $35 why take a chance??
Paul in CT

Couldn't agree more, $35 is some of the cheapest and safest insurance you can buy.

Tom Wesenberg 12-10-2012 07:17 PM

Another advantage of the shorter pitman arm is that it takes some pressure off the gas tank bracket while turning the steering wheel.

Glenn C. 12-11-2012 11:49 AM

Don't take a chance welding a steel forging with Cast rods. Big, Big mistake !! For a misely $35, why take a chance ?

Wilbur 12-11-2012 10:11 PM

So, this hard steering issue, on my recently acquired 29 Fordor, finally reached it's limit and I pulled the steering box out of the car tonight. I had previously removed the drag link from the pitman, trying to isolate where the stiffness was originating. It took a firm pull just to make the wheel turn with nothing attached. Driving the car was a 2-handed affair and very challenging.

What I found was that even though the box had been filled with grease, not 600, for years, every thing in there was fairly free and limber, except for the septor bushing, which was a bit on the dry side. I had been picking out the grease and shooting diesel fuel into the oil hole for the past week in an attempt to cut the grease down to a thinner mixture.

The absolute MAJOR culprit was the WICK within the bushing at the top of the steering column. It was dry, hard and gummy and tight as all hell on the steering shaft. It took a brass drift and a deadblow hammer to get the shaft out of it! The shaft is actually blue from friction contact in that area.

At this point, I'm not going to buy the shortened pitman arm. I'm going to put it all back together with new gaskets and bushings and take her for a spin. Thanks for everyone's input.