The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Lightened Flywheel? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=294027)

Anteek29 02-04-2021 08:41 PM

Lightened Flywheel?

What is the recommended weight for a lightened Model A flywheel? :confused:

What is the weight of a stock A flywheel? :confused:

tinkirk 02-04-2021 08:48 PM

Re: Lightened Flywheel?

Stock flywheel is 63
I've got mine down to 37
What's a perfect weight? I guess that would depend on engine and what would work best for your application

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jack Shaft 02-04-2021 10:27 PM

I run a stock b flywheel with a stock a crank...b fly is 53lbs

old31 02-05-2021 08:03 AM

I have a v8 clutch and the flywheel is about 35 lbs.

I am not saying that is the best, it is just what I have.

BRENT in 10-uh-C 02-05-2021 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anteek29 (Post 1981774)
What is the recommended weight for a lightened Model A flywheel? :confused:

What is the weight of a stock A flywheel? :confused:

Here ( https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89197 ) is a thread I started several years ago that should be an interesting read for you.

nkaminar 02-05-2021 08:59 AM

Weight is not the entire picture. It depends on where the weight is removed. It is preferentially removed from the biggest radius. That will lower the inertia more than what the weight would suggest. The inertia is the integral of differential mass times radius squared. So the lightened flywheels can be as much as 1/4 the inertia of the stock flywheel. (A guess).

Using a lightened flywheel is a matter of personal preference. How fast do you want to accelerate from a stop light? A lightened flywheel wont make any difference in how fast you can pull a hill. It will add more torsional vibration that will feed into the transmission and that I believe I can sense.

Jack Shaft 02-05-2021 08:59 AM

I reduced the rotating group weight by 10 lbs with the B flywheel,added about 4 with the harmonic balancer. A flywheel stores kinetic energy and by virtue of its mass dampens impulse.
In my opinion it has to do with your vision of the car.I want the mass to aide driveability,smoother operation. Although I basically double the power output of the engine through modification I don't race.My goal is a long distance touring car with reliability,I dont need a jack rabbit off the line,but want the smooth pulling power.In traffic the kinetic energy stored yields smoother clutch operation and smooth acceleration.

Jack Shaft 02-05-2021 09:16 AM

Whats important is building the engine for what you plan to do with it. I know folks who invest thousands to build an engine capable of racing and drive it like a touring car.

Another thing to consider is vendors run a business and sell items for profit. Its not fully in their interest to be sure a modification they sell fits your needs. Social media forums is an area where you need to filter based on your goals for the car. Often trends become established based not on need,but on a group justifying the money they spent.

wwirz 02-05-2021 11:52 AM

I do know that lightening the flywheel will change the torsional response of the drive line. The natural frequency will increase. But where the weight is removed is also important. I would want a technical reason, experience or expected positive changes that will result from lightening the flywheel alone. It would seem that counterweighting the crankshaft would be better in terms of vibration that occurs at about 42 mph. But again, before I would make this change, I would want to know what it gets me....vibration free engine, improved bearing life...what?

updraught 02-05-2021 10:06 PM

With no flywheel, when you put pedal to the metal (or wood) the energy goes to the back wheels to make you go.

With a flywheel some, or a lot, depending on weight, gets stored for later.
This saved energy transfers to the wheels when you try to slow down or are slowed down, whether you like it or not.

steve hackel 02-05-2021 10:55 PM

I'm not sure that all will be able to relate to this answer, but where the weight is in relation to the outer diameter of the flywheel, actually does affect the speed and performance.
Look at a figure skater and watch as they begin to make a spin in their vertical axis; their arms are stretched out, and as they bring their arms in closer to the center

line / axis of their body, their speed dramatically increases to a point of disbelief !
The weight never changed, just its location in the rotation. Without destroying the

structure and strength of the flywheel, removing the weight from the outer diameter

from both sides, should help in the acceleration of the motor. I'm sure your rear main bearing will thank you for the gesture too.

Synchro909 02-06-2021 12:13 AM

OK, What is the weight of a standard flywheel with pressure plate and ring gear attached?. Mine comes in at about 70 pounds.

marty in Ohio 02-06-2021 08:16 AM

I'm no expert, but Les Andrews says "The stock flywheel weighs 63 lbs. 4 oz. Do not drop it. Keep feet clear when lifting the flywheel into place. Feet do not mesh well with the flywheel ring gear." I can verify that this is true. Don't ask me how I know.
Marty

Anteek29 02-06-2021 11:30 AM

Many thanks to all who responded!

hardtimes 02-11-2021 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anteek29 (Post 1982349)
Many thanks to all who responded!

I weighed my just removed B flywheej, with ringgear and bearing.
It weighed 53/54 lbs.

Terry, NJ 02-12-2021 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hardtimes (Post 1984542)
I weighed my just removed B flywheej, with ringgear and bearing.
It weighed 53/54 lbs.

That's just what I lightened my flywheels to! And Henry did it all by himself, Wow! I wonder why? Let's face it, Heavy flywheels steal HP! They steal it by inertia. Which is easier to turn, a bycycle wheel or a truck tire. In the 1800s, it was an article of faith that every machine have a heavy flywheel. If you need confirmation, go to any museum of old engines and see for yourself. Flywheels were huge! As engineering progressed, they got smaller and lighter. We have that change from the As to the Bs of approximately 10 lbs. Clearly, Ford engineers were aware of it in 1932.
Terry

JayJay 02-12-2021 01:39 PM

I have heard that one of the rationales for removing the perimeter of the back of the flywheel (thereby lightening it) was to allow the three-finger V8 clutch to fit. Is there truth in that, or will the V8 clutch fit within the depression in the stock flywheel? If not, how much do you need to increase the diameter of the depression to make it fit?

The thread that Brent mentions in #5 is a very interesting read. Lots of opinions, most well-supported.

I'm coming up on building a touring engine with 6.0 head, and I'm leaning more towards lightening only as much as I need to for a V8 clutch to fit. I'm not so interested in speed of spin-up as I am in a smooth low speed idle and maintaining inertia while climbing.

JayJay

arnhemmer 02-12-2021 02:17 PM

This like discussing oil. It never seems to end.

McMimmcs 02-12-2021 02:31 PM

With my lack of knowledge of engines my question is what is accomplished by lightening the flywheel? Is it done in a machine shop ? Thanks in advance !

old31 02-12-2021 04:47 PM

yes it is a machine shop that will do the flywheel.

With a lightened flywheel the car spools up much faster because it isn't trying to move an additional 35 lbs. Take offs at a light are much quicker.

On my car I have the lightened flywheel along with a V8 clutch. The v8 clutch makes it way easier to depress the clutch.