The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Treatments For Rubber Parts (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=250898)

Bob Bidonde 09-06-2018 09:09 AM

Treatments For Rubber Parts

What products do you recommend to clean and cosmetically enhance the rubber on the running boards?

duke36 09-06-2018 09:30 AM

Re: Treatments For Rubber Parts

Some detailers like 303 rubber conditioner, Millers Chemical co. non silicon treatment, glycerin from a pharmacy. Meguiars makes one but not tried. ---Clean with plain water and no solvents, no Armor all, etc. . .

BILL WILLIAMSON 09-06-2018 09:52 AM

The BEST general cleaner I've found is LYSOL, biodegradable Kitchen Cleaner, in a spray bottle. It makes RUBBER parts look like FRESHLY MOULDED!!! It'll clean most ANYTHING!!!!---You'll be AMAZED & GIDDY!!!---AND, it kills drainboard ANTS, in a NANO-SECOND!
Bill W. AKA Mr. Clean

Anteek29 09-06-2018 02:51 PM

Thanks for that Lysol tip, Bill :)

Kahuna 09-06-2018 03:14 PM

I've found that Silicon is the best to restore rubber.
Some of the other recommended products may work to clean the rubber, but Silicon will do the best job of actually making it pliable and long lasting.
If possible, soak the rubber parts in the Silicon. I use a spray can to flood the parts, as needed, and let them sit for awhile

Pete 09-06-2018 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON (Post 1671874)
The BEST general cleaner I've found is LYSOL, biodegradable Kitchen Cleaner, in a spray bottle. It makes RUBBER parts look like FRESHLY MOULDED!!! It'll clean most ANYTHING!!!!---You'll be AMAZED & GIDDY!!!---AND, it kills drainboard ANTS, in a NANO-SECOND!
Bill W. AKA Mr. Clean

The main ingredient is sodium hypochlorite which also happens to be the active ingredient in household bleach.
When using it on automotive parts, it needs to be thoroughly washed off. It will stain paint, metal and plastic.

jhowes 09-07-2018 07:31 AM

A word about any silicone product is that it will cause your new paint to not adhere. It is a devil to clean off so that new paint will not be effected. Jack

katy 09-07-2018 09:23 AM

I've read that oil of wintergreen will rejuvenate rubber, but have no personal experience w/it. An online search shows lots.

Tom Wesenberg 09-07-2018 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katy (Post 1672240)
I've read that oil of wintergreen will rejuvenate rubber, but have no personal experience w/it. An online search shows lots.

Yes, it does. I bought some on ebay from China for 1/10 what it costs at the mall stores. I softened the rubber plunger on my BB gun, which was 25 years old and had become very hard. Mix it 50-50 with acetone.