The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Lights not working in all positions. (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=156165)

gmcdiecast 12-03-2014 10:02 AM

Lights not working in all positions.

I will try to be brief. I have a '29 coupe I got in May. The wiring harness was not installed but was with the car. I hooked the horn up first and it worked fine. I did replace all the connections on the harness with quick connections. I finally got around to hooking up the lights. Tried all the positions of the switch and no luck. Had a few guys in my car club mess with it with no luck either. Fast forward a few months. Horn was dragging so I took it apart to oil it. Put it back together and no sound. I found one of the wires came off. Fixed that and got the horn working. Just for grins I turned the light switch and they cam on but only on high beam. Tail light works now too. Any ideas why only high beam works.

eagle 12-03-2014 10:47 AM

Re: Lights not working in all positions.

Use a wiring diagram and a voltmeter and start troubleshooting it methodically. If you don't feel you're up to the task find someone who is. Any reputable mechanics shop will be able find your problem if you supply them with a schematic. They are available here, use the search function. There is no way anyone here is going to be able to give you a reasonably accurate answer with the info you gave us. Just guesses.

Dbbc 12-03-2014 11:00 AM

Aloha,
Make sure that the light switch at the bottom of the steering column is clean. If oil leaked from the steering wheel into the light switch it might mess up with your electrical connections.

31Tudor 12-03-2014 01:02 PM

If you are using the original plug set up in the headlight connection, and older repro headlight sockets, the electrical tabs can actually touch each other and both elements will be on. As Eagle suggested your best bet is to be sure both elements work in the headlight, and then just start your way through. Unplug the wires from the headlight, turn the switch to low beam, with a test light determine if you have power to one of the wires going to the headlight, if so, check the other side, same color of wire. If no power then there is some problem with the power coming through the switch. Then go to high beam and test the same. Then I hook up just one light and see if one light works as it should. If not, back to trouble shooting. When I get one light working properly, then I go over and start hooking up the other light.

Lee Mitch 12-03-2014 11:09 PM

Mine did the same thing. Turned out the switch (at the bottom of the column) was not on correctly. Clean it and keep working with it until it connects properly. Could be a lot of things, but this is a quick check. Good luck

whirnot 12-04-2014 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbbc (Post 991436)
aloha,
make sure that the light switch at the bottom of the steering column is clean. If oil leaked from the steering wheel into the light switch it might mess up with your electrical connections.

x2;)

Big hammer 12-04-2014 02:54 PM

Check and see if low beam element in bulb burned out ! Easy to over
look simple stuff :-)