The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Machine or Man ? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=332654)

BobR35 11-03-2023 07:48 AM

Machine or Man ?

I've got to replace one tube on my '35 and would like to do it myself. I'm only concerned about the challenge to break loose the bead in order to get the tube out? Thus, Machine or Man! The model A's looked easy on youtube so I'm wondering if it's similar on the 16" wheel? I've watched youtube videos and saw changing the tire on a model A without removing the wheel from the car. It makes good sense and helps hold the tire in place. Since I only have to break down one side to replace the tube, anyone done this on a '35 ?

On the '35 spoke wheels, is there an inner liner to protect from the spokes?

GB SISSON 11-03-2023 08:27 AM

Re: Machine or Man ?

In my experience it will depend on how long the current tire has been on the rim. You can try the 'model A method', leaving it on the car and if the bead isn't too well adhered to the rim you should be good. For me, I rarely deal with restored vehicles and so tire removal often involves a tire on a wheel sitting out in the weather for perhaps 50 years. If your bead is stubborn there are many ways to break it loose after removing the wheel from the car. For a home garage perhaps easiest is placing the tire/wheel flat on the floor under a good jacking point of a heavy vehicle. Using a bottle jack, or scissor jack etc, place the jack's base onto the deflated tire's sidewall with its square base as close to the rim as possible.. Jack, rotate, repeat. Sometimes a hardwood stick like a 2x2x2' with it's end cut like a blunt chisel and a 3lb hammer pounded either side of the loaded jack can bring results. Some people just drive a vehicle up onto the tire's sidewall, but a tough one needs the direct impact of the hammer blows. It's very satisfying when the bead finally gives it up, and with perserverence it always does. Good luck.

glennpm 11-03-2023 09:00 AM

Sisson's method is what I've used on stubborn tires. Most will break with a Harbor Freight tire changer that I bolt to my floor but for the stubborn ones, use a scissors jack between the tire and a trailer hitch frame.

This is a decent you-tube showing both the drive on and jack methods. The electric wrench or air are neccesary since you need to stand on the tire opposite to the jack point or the tire/wheel will lift up.

youtube.com/watch?v=9t9LYA_CXkU

woodiewagon46 11-03-2023 10:13 AM

The reason it look's simple on a Model A is because those wheels are known as "drop center wheels". You could squeeze the tire into the recess of the wheel and it would give you room to remove the tube. You can't do that on the later wheels.

GB SISSON 11-03-2023 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woodiewagon46 (Post 2267082)
The reason it look's simple on a Model A is because those wheels are known as "drop center wheels". You could squeeze the tire into the recess of the wheel and it would give you room to remove the tube. You can't do that on the later wheels.

I beg to differ. To me anyways all of the common rims we know and love are drop center rims. The exception being the multi-piece wheels with a removeable ring or the bolt together military combat rims.

Ggmac 11-04-2023 05:27 AM

Bob if you drive down to west palm area , Ill change it out for you . No cost of course. Im 2 miles off of the turnpike, lake Worth exit .
Gary

I just did 4 of mine and 2 for a friend that had concerns the shop would mark up his rims .

BobR35 11-04-2023 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ggmac (Post 2267263)
Bob if you drive down to west palm area , Ill change it out for you . No cost of course. Im 2 miles off of the turnpike, lake Worth exit .
Gary

I just did 4 of mine and 2 for a friend that had concerns the shop would mark up his rims .

Wow Gary that's really nice of you to offer! I wish I was closer and I'd take you up on that. I have a friend at a tire shop here that could do it but I being the "do it yourself" kinda guy, was going to attempt it. I think I'll bring it over there this week and be done with it.
If I get down that way I'll look you up though. (PM me your location).
Again, thanks!

Ggmac 11-04-2023 02:56 PM

Please remember to get the correct valve size in the tube . I believe its called a K15 valve . Its larger than most K13 . Check on that size as my memory isn’t what it use to be .
Gary

BobR35 11-06-2023 07:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ggmac (Post 2267383)
Please remember to get the correct valve size in the tube . I believe its called a K15 valve . Its larger than most K13 . Check on that size as my memory isn’t what it use to be .
Gary

yah, thanks Gary, I lucked out and ordered the right tube on ebay last week. I changed the tube today and did it by hand. Backed over the tire on the ground with my truck to break the bead. Only took about an hour and I didn't have to have any tire guys touch my car, lol.
here's the tube I found and I'll say they are good heavy duty with the right, thick, offset valve stems at a good price!

Thanks to all who chimed in here with advice.

petehoovie 11-06-2023 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobR35 (Post 2267902)
yah, thanks Gary, I lucked out and ordered the right tube on ebay last week. I changed the tube today and did it by hand. Backed over the tire on the ground with my truck to break the bead. Only took about an hour and I didn't have to have any tire guys touch my car, lol.
here's the tube I found and I'll say they are good heavy duty with the right, thick, offset valve stems at a good price!

Thanks to all who chimed in here with advice.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/attac...1&d=1699315104