The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Torque Tube Bolts (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=285212)

Conaway2 08-07-2020 09:04 AM

Torque Tube Bolts

Still rebuilding the rear axle, and ran into a couple of questions yesterday when I disassembled the banjo and torque tube. 5 of the 6 bolts appear original, in that they have holes for safety wire and have a shoulder just below the bolt head. The 6th bolt had no hole and also had a lock washer.

My questions -
Were lockwashers used on these bolts ?

Do these bolts have the special thread pitch like the axle housing bolts do ?

Were these bolts plated or painted when new ?

Many thanks
Jim

Kevin in NJ 08-07-2020 02:33 PM

Re: Torque Tube Bolts

No lock washers.

Like most of the chassis threading they are tight tolerance so they should have limited play.

Also no gasket. The tube is also the bearing stop for the pinion bearing shell.

Do not forget to use a flat file on the mating surfaces. Not hard, just to locate any high spots and bring them down level so the flanges can mount tight.

Conaway2 08-07-2020 08:38 PM

So no gasket between the torque tube and banjo ? Why do gasket sets include one ??

Tom Endy 08-07-2020 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conaway2 (Post 1917799)
So no gasket between the torque tube and banjo ? Why do gasket sets include one ??

From what I have read Ford did not originally put a gasket there. However, it is a source of an oil leak, so a lot of people put one there. The Mitchell overdrive company provides one with their overdrive kit. All the suppliers carry them. I always put one there.

Tom Endy

Tom Endy 08-08-2020 12:11 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Over the past 35 years while rebuilding rear axle assemblies I noticed that the safety wire applied to the six torque tube bolts was all kinds of ugly. None were ever found done like an aircraft application. I decided early on that when I finished up a rear axle assembly it was going to appear neat even it it was not according to Henry. Having acquired a good supply of original torque tube bolts, I use them such that each bolt is a trial to see that when properly torqued the safety wire hole is parallel to the flange. It takes more time, but when I am finished I think it looks better than when found. It has become my trade mark on all rear axle assemblies I overhaul.

Tom Endy

Conaway2 08-08-2020 09:43 AM

Tom - thanks for your comments. I like your approach to installing the safety wire - will try it myself when I get to that stage.

Russ/40 08-08-2020 11:02 AM

That extra care you take, is much appreciated by us guys that notice it.

Tom Endy 08-08-2020 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conaway2 (Post 1917947)
Tom - thanks for your comments. I like your approach to installing the safety wire - will try it myself when I get to that stage.

Since you are rebuilding a rear axle assembly, the attached link may be of help.

Tom Endy

http://www.santaanitaas.org/wp-conte...vised-2014.pdf

Ruth 08-08-2020 12:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
What is the cutout in the torque tube gasket for? And what position do you put it in, if it matters? I does not match up with anything on the flanges. I notice most of the gaskets from vendors do have the cutout but the one supplied by Mitchell (since you mentioned them) does not have the cutout.

redmodelt 08-08-2020 12:04 PM

Good question about the notch. Most all the ones I have seen have them. I have been putting the notch on the bottom thinking it was a lube drain passage.

Kurt in NJ 08-08-2020 12:27 PM

V8 has that ,there is a drilled passage through the banjo on them, perhaps they figured that if v8 has it the a also has it

Ruth 08-08-2020 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurt in NJ (Post 1917999)
V8 has that ,there is a drilled passage through the banjo on them, perhaps they figured that if v8 has it the a also has it

Kurt, I am not familiar with the V8 but the Model A does not have a passage either on the banjo or the torque tube.

Conaway2 08-08-2020 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Endy (Post 1917978)
Since you are rebuilding a rear axle assembly, the attached link may be of help.

Tom Endy

http://www.santaanitaas.org/wp-conte...vised-2014.pdf

I’ve been reading this article step by step as I work on the axle. Now, just waiting to get axle housings back form the machine shop with new bearing surfaces installed.

It’s a great, detailed description of the rebuilding process, and I really appreciate all the experience that you;ve documented in it.

Jim

rotorwrench 08-08-2020 01:56 PM

I've been an aircraft mechanic or too long I guess. I always put a positive safety on bolts with drilled heads. Single wire safeties are OK but I don't align the holes and even if they were, I'd still safety them to apply a righty tighty pull on right hand thread bolts. This will hold a bit of torque on them just in case they work loose for one reason or another.

The Master Cylinder 08-08-2020 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rotorwrench (Post 1918023)
I've been an aircraft mechanic or too long I guess. I always put a positive safety on bolts with drilled heads. Single wire safeties are OK but I don't align the holes and even if they were, I'd still safety them to apply a righty tighty pull on right hand thread bolts. This will hold a bit of torque on them just in case they work loose for one reason or another.

I am not an aircraft mechanic but that is how I was taught and for the same reason.

Kevin in NJ 08-08-2020 04:48 PM

I am pretty sure if the wires are not set up to pull them tight, then they can loosen some.

Pretty sure you dont want them pretty, you want them safety tied.

https://aviation.stackexchange.com/q...g-behind-the-w

ursus 08-09-2020 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conaway2 (Post 1917799)

The Model A rear axle design was carried forward to the 1932 Model B, which had a slightly different means of retaining the pinion bearing which allowed for the gasket. The gasket sets are for 28-32 and the gasket is included in the event that the user has a 1932 rear axle.