The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Best way to fix this header (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=284475)

corvette8n 07-23-2020 06:15 PM

Best way to fix this header

1 Attachment(s)
This is the Reds header off my '41, can this be tig,mig,or stick welded? What's best.

cas3 07-23-2020 06:35 PM

Re: Best way to fix this header

tig would be best, mig will work. i would bolt it to a hunk of steel as it will move around on ya. use an old iron manifold for a pattern. actually, an early manifold would work perfect, flat on both sides

19Fordy 07-23-2020 06:46 PM

I don't think I'd grind away the old weld as it provides a solid foundation.

corvette8n 07-23-2020 06:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I also had to cut the pipe from the manifold to the muffler, I hope this can be put back together

Alaska Jim 07-23-2020 06:54 PM

depends on how thin the metal is and how much carbon from the exh. is imbeded in the header as to how hard it will be to repair it, but it is do able.

Ronnieroadster 07-23-2020 06:55 PM

It would be best to bolt the header onto a block if you have one handy. Next if I was doing the repair I would make a steel patch that would over lap the original welded area. The overlap would be much stronger as long as the tubing is not deteriorated internally. The weld would be Tig a much better way of completing the repair.

V8COOPMAN 07-23-2020 07:25 PM

If you don't have a block to bolt it to, bolt it to an opposite-side exhaust manifold. Better than nothin'! DD

Tinker 07-24-2020 12:38 AM

It's just steel not cast iron. Weld it like anything steel. gap is large so address that. I'm guessing you can weld something.

frnkeore 07-24-2020 01:56 AM

I think Ronnie's idea will be best, especially if you mig weld it. If you choose that, make the patch out of .094, that way, you can hold most of the heat on the patch and let it flow on to the tubing, w/o any worry about burning threw the header tube.

flatford8 07-24-2020 03:33 AM

Post#4.....NAPA sells different couplings in assorted ID/OD and lengths. You should be able to find one to repair the end of that pipe......Mark

JWL 07-24-2020 04:51 AM

Getting that part adequately cleaned for TIG welding could be a major project. Even a MIG weld could exhibit some porosity tendencies. I would either stick weld or use the torch depending on the status of the material. And, yes, should be clamped to block or stiff object with hole centers aligned and maintained.

corvette8n 07-24-2020 06:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the advice, I do have a couple of bare blocks in the shed I could use.
I bought this HF welder about 8 months ago for a different project and have only used it for a few practice welds, I don't have 220 at my house so this was my only option, I also have a roll of Hobart .030 wire on it, if I don't think I can do it I'll have to take it somewhere.

flatford8 07-24-2020 08:14 AM

Do you have torches to gas weld it like mentioned above?..... Mark

corvette8n 07-24-2020 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flatford8 (Post 1912503)
Do you have torches to gas weld it like mentioned above?..... Mark

No, I may have to bring it around to some local welders, I think I may have a cast iron manifold I could bolt it to.

deuce_roadster 07-24-2020 08:37 AM

Once bolted to a block it might be difficult to get in the right position to weld with a TIG or MIG. I like the idea of bolting it to an exhaust manifold for more room. A lot will depend on how good a welder you are. That is relatively thin and it looks like an old weld is there so you will be welding something thinner to something thicker. Do you have a lot of experience? I generally use my TIG on clean and well fit up new metal.
IF it was mine I would blast the inside and outside to remove rust and old carbon first, otherwise you will have contamination, then lightly grind with roll lock disk the old weld.
Welding is all about the puddle, and getting in a comfortable position. Good luck.

Ronnie 07-24-2020 09:21 AM

Ronnie Roadster has a repair that can be done with a patch.If it was mine that is what I would do.This is a repair that silicone bronze would help with a tig. The patch has to be a good fit.

R

tubman 07-24-2020 10:09 AM

I'll be the odd man out here. That looks like a rust through (or burn through) and there are probably other similar areas in the header. It looks to me like its time for a new set of headers. Nothing to lose by trying to fix it, though. I would try.

itslow 07-24-2020 01:03 PM

Personally, if the header's pipe is thin enough that it tore at the weld, I'd just replace it with a new header.

The pipe would be easy to weld back up with a MIG welder. It would be much more forgiving and easier than doing it with TIG.

supereal 07-25-2020 02:23 PM

Find a shop that has the equipment and skill to do the job. At our shop we weld most things that haven't had amateur work already done that affect the alignment of the pieces.

jimvette59 07-25-2020 02:59 PM

Looks like it got hit up and the weld broke at the weakest part. See the bend on the bottom of the weld. Make a patch and cover the area after it is bolted to a block. The metal in that area is stressed and weakened. Do a farmer fix. JMHO