The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   touring cam improvements? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=282375)

Don Cape Cod 06-10-2020 01:19 PM

touring cam improvements?

I have read a lot of stuff but nothing tells me what I will experience the day after I install a "touring" cam. I'm now in NH and have some 7% & better lengthy hills to climb. Daily up a steep grade in Franklin to get to my Gym.
A 7 mile flat stretch on rt 3 along the Concord River. I have a strong engine and Mitchel OD. Am I actually going to notice any significant improvement to make it worth the effort? Like improved mileage, or, or what? Now Don of NH 3 yrs.

Thanks, Uncle Don

Kurt in NJ 06-10-2020 01:44 PM

Re: touring cam improvements?

I had a big improvement using a real "B" cam in place of worn original--- both speed and fuel mileage--- want from 54-67 mph, 15 to 23 mpg, --- rest of car stock

Jack Shaft 06-10-2020 02:06 PM

High lift late B cam .030 increase in measured lift,powerband to 2900..stock A cam power to 2400..raising compression and adding fuel works too,stock zenith CFM about half of the air flow of the engine..

Chuck Sea/Tac 06-10-2020 02:11 PM

Running a higher compression head is an easy way to get more power. Also I hogged out a stock intake and installed a B carb. Felt that in the seat of my pants as well.

Pete 06-10-2020 03:07 PM

All I know is reports back from several hundred customers I have ground them for, a 77B is a mild touring grind that the improvment can be felt in the seat of the pants along with slightly better gas mileage.

Ruth 06-10-2020 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 1897713)
All I know is reports back from several hundred customers I have ground them for, a 77B is a mild touring grind that the improvment can be felt in the seat of the pants along with slightly better gas mileage.

Pete do you regrind the stock cam or ??

Pete 06-10-2020 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruth (Post 1897716)
Pete do you regrind the stock cam or ??

Yes, the 77B will go on a stock core.

Ruth 06-10-2020 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 1897718)
Yes, the 77B will go on a stock core.

Pete, do you have a website or how would one purchase a cam from you. I'm not ready yet, just making plans for a new engine.

The engine I have now still runs good but is stock with a 5.5 head.

Thanks.

Pete 06-10-2020 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruth (Post 1897719)
Pete, do you have a website or how would one purchase a cam from you. I'm not ready yet, just making plans for a new engine.

The engine I have now still runs good but is stock with a 5.5 head.

Thanks.

Hi,
When you get ready, email me at [email protected].

Pete Samuelson

D&L Automachine
Elbe, Wa.

JRN1967 06-10-2020 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Cape Cod (Post 1897688)
I have read a lot of stuff but nothing tells me what I will experience the day after I install a "touring" cam. I'm now in NH and have some 7% & better lengthy hills to climb. Daily up a steep grade in Franklin to get to my Gym.
A 7 mile flat stretch on rt 3 along the Concord River. I have a strong engine and Mitchel OD. Am I actually going to notice any significant improvement to make it worth the effort? Like improved mileage, or, or what? Now Don of NH 3 yrs.

Thanks, Uncle Don

Don, I used to do field service repair on CNC machines, and would travel that same stretch from Boscawen or Contoocook and stay overnights in Tilton. I remember driving passed the birthplace of Daniel Webster somewhere on rt 3.

I just finished installing a B cam, intake and carb with a 6:1 Snyder head. I'm not sure of the hp increase but there's definitely a boost in power, that helps you keep up with modern traffic.

Jim Brierley 06-11-2020 12:09 PM

You want to be in the 2,000 - 2200 RPM range when driving along, so stay with a mild cam. The latest B cam has .339" lobe lift works very well, the most common B cam has .302" lobe lift, and works well too. Compression and a bigger carb are the 2 quickest, easiest, and arguably the best ways to improved performance. Pete knows what he is talking about, I'm not sure exactly what his 77B is, but if Pete says it will do what you want, it will. I would recommend a Stromberg 97 carb, but that no longer looks like a stock engine, a concern to some. The Mitchel is a great addition, but you may not want to have it in the O.D. position when going uphill. The cam and carb will help both power and fuel mileage.

d.j. moordigian 06-11-2020 12:25 PM

Pete and Jim,

Most people neglect the springs, they use the old ones. IF you put new springs with more
pressure...it will run great. The valves and lifters have to follow the cam..!

Jack Shaft 06-11-2020 02:05 PM

The model a engine is one of few engines where you can bolt on double the power without a loss of longevity.Ford basically over engineered the engine structurally yet under engineered it for performance

Ruth 06-11-2020 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 1897724)
Hi,
When you get ready, email me at [email protected].

Pete Samuelson

D&L Automachine
Elbe, Wa.

Thanks Pete

Mike Peters 06-13-2020 06:57 AM

Kurt in NJ

touring cam improvements?
I had a big improvement using a real "B" cam in place of worn original--- both speed and fuel mileage--- want from 54-67 mph, 15 to 23 mpg, --- rest of car stock.

I have a B engine with a lovely crack between the cylinder wall and valve seat. To use the B cam in an A engine, do I use the B fiber gear or A gear? Which timing cover, A or B? There must be a special combination here?
Thanks in advance. mike

Kurt in NJ 06-13-2020 08:29 AM

The original "B" cam only needs the matching lifters, they are larger than "A" lifters, the other parts are same as "A"
The timing cover has to match dist you use

Jim Brierley 06-13-2020 12:18 PM

D.J., You are right about the springs. I recommend higher pressures on modified cams, and always use an aluminum cam gear.

Kurt, I use the A front over because it has a very accurate TDC indent. Also use different distributors, Mallory or Y-model Ford. And set them with a timing light.

Mike Peters 06-13-2020 01:47 PM

Thanks Kurt. Got it.

Gene F 06-13-2020 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck Sea/Tac (Post 1897697)
Running a higher compression head is an easy way to get more power. Also I hogged out a stock intake and installed a B carb. Felt that in the seat of my pants as well.

Chuck, how do your open up the uptube of the stock intake? Did you yse a series of reamers, or take it to a machinist?

Chuck Sea/Tac 06-14-2020 12:37 AM

Mine was done by a machinist, but I’ve done one with a drill and a grinding burr. The most important is to eliminate the lip at the entrance of the manifold, as the B carb has a larger throat. The i tapered the straight runner as far down as possible.