The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Wipers don't work (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136228)

josh1331 04-07-2014 05:22 PM

Wipers don't work

Heard a hiss onmy-1941 super dex. Turned knob hiss stopped but no movement that I can see. Any tips would be appreciated. Don't mind vaccum wipers ,my car has two wiper blades by the way. John

ford38v8 04-07-2014 05:35 PM

Re: Wipers don't work

Your wiper motor paddle has dried out. You can try lubricating it by spraying oil through the vacuum intake on the motor whil operating the blades by hand. You can fool with the thing in other ways also, but eventually bite the bullet and send the motor out to be reb uilt. Kent Jaquith replaces the old hard paddle with neoprene for a lifetime fix:

Kent Jaquith, 2633 SW Obsidian # 15, Redmond, Oregon (541) 923-4319
Clean-Sweep Windshield Wiper Motor Service, Sales and Rebuilding

josh1331 04-07-2014 09:42 PM

Thanks Alan. Finally got to ford barn thks for address to repair John

BL in NH 04-08-2014 08:14 PM

Fricken Wiper Service on Long Island, NY I believe, More local than cross country and does good work. Believe he is still in business.

ford38v8 04-08-2014 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BL in NH (Post 855821)
Fricken Wiper Service on Long Island, NY I believe, More local than cross country and does good work. Believe he is still in business.

BL, When local means "walk it through", that's understandable, but the Post office is local wherever you are. Ficken does have a good reputation, but is not a Ford enthusiast as Kent is. I'll trust my Early Ford work to a long time V8 Club member in very good standing who is dedicated to maintaining that reputation.

Graeme / New Zealand 04-09-2014 12:09 AM

It is probably gummed up with old hard grease .Pull it apart clean it all up in thinners,lubricate the paddle with Vaseline put it back together in reverse. Very simple to do, it is not complicated, doesn't take much time and any "dumba*ss" should be able to do it. Give it ago yourself. I have done two of these, there's nothing much you can do wrong, it will be cheaper and you will have a sense of achievement.

GB

Old Henry 04-09-2014 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graeme / New Zealand (Post 855913)
It is probably gummed up with old hard grease .Pull it apart clean it all up in thinners,lubricate the paddle with Vaseline put it back together in reverse. Very simple to do, it is not complicated, doesn't take much time and any "dumba*ss" should be able to do it. Give it ago yourself. I have done two of these, there's nothing much you can do wrong, it will be cheaper and you will have a sense of achievement.

GB

Same here. I did the same although Vaseline seemed a bit thick. I used distributor cam grease and it seemed to work better.

TJ 04-09-2014 10:02 AM

X2 for Kent Jaquith. He's fixed several for me and they work just as good as any electric wiper.

Steves46 04-09-2014 12:01 PM

In addition to the excellent feedback, spray some white lithium grease on all the pivot points on the wiper arms that connect to the motor. I did this on my 46 and they run like electric wipers.

josh1331 04-09-2014 11:41 PM

GB , plan to do just that nothing to lose john

Rich Overton 04-10-2014 08:59 PM

About five years ago had the same problem on my '48. Started checking some Ford sites and I can't remember which one but it said to shoot a small amount of ATF into the intake side. Worked like a charm and they're still going as strong as new.

Maybe you'll be as lucky.

Rich O.