The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early V8 (1932-53) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Good machine shop in Seattle area? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=255804)

GB SISSON 12-08-2018 01:28 PM

Good machine shop in Seattle area?

I had my virgin merc crank turned by a machine shop Up North near me and they did a great job, but now I want some block work and the shop is slammed with their winter diesel work. I plan to see my daughters in Seattle soon, so thought I could drop off a block or two while in town. Any barners have a shop they'd recommend? Thanks

uncle buck 12-08-2018 01:54 PM

Re: Good machine shop in Seattle area?

Rob at Action machine on Aurora Ave in north Seattle has a great reputation

deuce_roadster 12-08-2018 09:34 PM

I would suspect Rob sends his flathead work to Dave Tatom in Mt Vernon but he might do it at his shop on N. Aurora.

Paul/Woodinville 12-08-2018 10:41 PM

I would agree that Action Machine does good work I've been using them for 20 years with no complaints. Robbie the owner and counter man is vey knowledgeable.

GB SISSON 12-08-2018 11:01 PM

20 years ago I had an engine built with a merc crank by Ron Eliason's shop in Sedro-Wolley Wa.. Tatum's pricing started at something like 8 grand and up to 13,000. 'depending on what you want to do'. Dave is an excellent flathead man, but I tool around at 2000 rpm in a stock one ton pickup, so it seemed overkill.The parts store in Anacortes, which has a small machine shop told me that Ron does a lot of the machine work for Tatum's operation. So I went straight to Ron, who knew all about the floating rod bearings etc. But that's a lot of years ago and Ron is no longer in business. Last time I called Dave Tatum I got a recording that the number is no longer in service. I grew up just off Aurora in Shoreline (North Seattle), so that sounds like a great place to take my work. It's just off the freeway on my way to my daughter's and heck I could stop by the old Cabin Tavern, which is three doors down from my childhood home. Thanks!

Paul/Woodinville 12-09-2018 09:57 PM

i teach in Shoreline and have had a beer or two at the cabin tavern.

deuce_roadster 12-09-2018 10:42 PM

Tatom's phone is listed on his newer website www.davetatom.com. It is (360) 770-3760 That is his cell, the old landline is gone. I would think if you ask him about a low hp stock engine it would be much less then 8k or if you just wanted some machine work and you were going to assemble it. I have 4 of his engines and only one was a "high dollar" motor and that one is in my avatar roadster, and I have assembled some as I enjoy those steps.
Rob at Action Machine lives up by Dave and I sometimes drop stuff off at Action for Dave as they often see each other up in Mt. Vernon. I would question the claim that someone else does Dave's machine work. I have been at his shop when he did the machine work on my engine blocks. The only thing I know that he farms out is babbit work and balancing.

GB SISSON 12-10-2018 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deuce_roadster (Post 1704151)
Tatom's phone is listed on his newer website www.davetatom.com. It is (360) 770-3760 That is his cell, the old landline is gone. I would think if you ask him about a low hp stock engine it would be much less then 8k or if you just wanted some machine work and you were going to assemble it. I have 4 of his engines and only one was a "high dollar" motor and that one is in my avatar roadster, and I have assembled some as I enjoy those steps.
Rob at Action Machine lives up by Dave and I sometimes drop stuff off at Action for Dave as they often see each other up in Mt. Vernon. I would question the claim that someone else does Dave's machine work. I have been at his shop when he did the machine work on my engine blocks. The only thing I know that he farms out is babbit work and balancing.

Thank you, that's great info. I will definately call him. Dave is a good guy and has a lot of colorful anecdotes from his years flying in Alaska. Like landing at low tide on the mud flats due to mechanical trouble, radioing his buddy who landed next to him and towed him off, glider style so he could fly (glide) back down to his home field. There was a seat belt buckle involved in the tow-line release mechanism. There's a photo on his shop wall of this getup flying before the release. As for the machine work, he may not have had a crank grinder at that time, and who knows what info the auto parts counter guy had at the time. Ron was a little north of 5 grand for dropping off the complete, greasy engine and picking up a completed, balanced engine. Still a lot of money, and of course it may have been more like 28 years ago. Funny how that goes the older we get.....