The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Oil change after head gasket job? (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=265012)

bigd1101 06-17-2019 06:46 AM

Oil change after head gasket job?

So, should I just drain it out cold after I get the new head and gasket on? I'm a bit worried about running the car to warm it up first seeing that any dirt that might have got in could score some engine parts. No apparent coolant is in the oil. It was sucking air though and the head was cracked.

Don

chap52 06-17-2019 06:55 AM

Re: Oil change after head gasket job?

Five quarts of oil and peace of mind, your choice .. Chap

eagle 06-17-2019 07:08 AM

Changing cold just means waiting longer for it to drain.

bigd1101 06-17-2019 08:38 AM

I'm blowing out the cylinder jackets for the top with compressed air, but would it be a good idea to maybe pour some gas down them or something to flush any dirt and particles down into the oil BEFORE I drain it all out? I just want to be very sure nothing gets logged between the rings and score the piston sleeves.

Don

katy 06-17-2019 09:38 AM

You'd be better off to vacuum out the cylinders rather than using compressed air. Compressed air might force particles down to where you don't want them.

bigd1101 06-17-2019 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katy (Post 1768485)
You'd be better off to vacuum out the cylinders rather than using compressed air. Compressed air might force particles down to where you don't want them.

I've been doing both.

1931 flamingo 06-17-2019 12:59 PM

You do realize that "back in the day" under a tree in the back yard there were no vac cleaners and compressed air?? A rag was stuffed into the cyl, cleaned the block, installed new gasket (maybe) and off they went...............
Paul in CT

bigd1101 06-17-2019 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo (Post 1768557)
You do realize that "back in the day" under a tree in the back yard there were no vac cleaners and compressed air?? A rag was stuffed into the cyl, cleaned the block, installed new gasket (maybe) and off they went...............
Paul in CT

Oh I'm sure.......and I don't want to have to do this again, so I'll be a modern anal guy that I am and do all I can to avoid a re-do :rolleyes:

Don

31a 06-17-2019 08:57 PM

If you blew a head gasket and the oil got milky you will need to pull the pan remove oil pan baffle and clean out the pan

redmodelt 06-17-2019 09:21 PM

4 qts run and check if just changing the oil. Don't just dump 5 qts in, that would be with no oil in the windage tray/valve chamber if you drop and clean the pan/valve chamber or fresh motor. Even then I would only put 4-1/2 let it settle and top as needed. Easy to add, not so easy to take back out.

BILL WILLIAMSON 06-18-2019 02:20 PM

All this to dump the oil???????????
Bill W.

chap52 06-19-2019 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redmodelt (Post 1768707)
4 qts run and check if just changing the oil. Don't just dump 5 qts in, that would be with no oil in the windage tray/valve chamber if you drop and clean the pan/valve chamber or fresh motor. Even then I would only put 4-1/2 let it settle and top as needed. Easy to add, not so easy to take back out.

Good catch, thanks ..Chap

100IH 06-20-2019 03:27 PM

Any crud getting loose doing the head would all be above the rings. Not going to go past the rings and into the pan. At least not until running quite a while and compromising said rings and cylinder walls. OHV not so much, the oil does run back into the pan from the valvecover.