The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Yet another old car pic..... (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=257687)

Chuck Dempsey 01-16-2019 03:40 PM

Yet another old car pic.....

1 Attachment(s)
Floating around on FaceBook......

burner31 01-17-2019 01:41 PM

Re: Yet another old car pic.....

Cool pic thanks....that's my car

BILL WILLIAMSON 01-17-2019 03:14 PM

I remember when Chief tore down his drive on ramp & had the Hydraulic Lift installed!! The FIRST in town. We also had the FIRST, Fast Battery Charger, in town along with the only 4 way AMBER flashing signal light.!!! It was a Conoco Fillin' Station, next to the Hardware Store & close to the BEST, GREASY Hamburgers & Fried Okra & Onions!!!
Bill W.

Bob from Northport 01-17-2019 07:12 PM

Is the Model A in the photo being lifted by the front axle and ????

Chuck Dempsey 01-17-2019 07:34 PM

Bob - good question. I see some pipes running down the side of the running board, and appear to culminate in a 'box' of some sort opposite the back wheel. I wonder if that box is somehow connected to the rear wheel. Hopefully they weren't putting all of the weight on the rear axle......

michael a 01-17-2019 08:02 PM

The old lifts had two rails one down each side and the crossrail on the front and rear and the vehicle was lifted why is the front and rear axle

Sent from my SM-J701M using Tapatalk

BILL WILLIAMSON 01-17-2019 08:39 PM

They figured out 9 ways to lift them--LOL
Bill W.

Penthode 01-17-2019 08:45 PM

Nothing wrong lifting by the rear axle. The old Ford was easy to hoist up!

w.michael 01-17-2019 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck Dempsey (Post 1717244)
Bob - good question. I see some pipes running down the side of the running board, and appear to culminate in a 'box' of some sort opposite the back wheel. I wonder if that box is somehow connected to the rear wheel. Hopefully they weren't putting all of the weight on the rear axle......

The pipes running down the side terminate in a funnel. That is the catch system for the drain oil. Lift the car higher than it is in the picture, then move the funnel and the pipes (the joints in the pipe are not tight) to the correct location to catch the engine oil, transmission oil, or differential oil as it drains out.

W. Michael

holdover 01-17-2019 11:51 PM

I worked at a gas station in the late 50s and 60s(in Huntington NY) that had one of those rail lifts. It was very stable. There were 4 pcs that hooked onto the rails and slid to whatever position you needed, they had a rod about 24" long so you could adjust them easily. There was a U shaped cup that the front and rear axle slid into, once the weight of the vehicle was on it , it did not move. When I moved down to Virginia in 1975 a local repair shop(Reed's garage) had the very same lift and hook-up, it was like being in a time warp. The owner continued to use the lift with slight modifications for newer cars, until the shop changed hands in 1999. It was replaced with a modern lift.

Chuck Dempsey 01-18-2019 10:45 AM

W. Micheal - I see what you mean... Thanks!

russcochiolo 01-19-2019 09:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Fender skirts anyone?

Bob-A 01-19-2019 10:01 AM

Skirts are for women not cars!:mad::rolleyes::p

Bob-A:D