The Ford Barn

The Ford Barn (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/index.php)
-   Model A (1928-31) (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Open Vehicle Body Socket (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25364)

Charles Reese 01-09-2011 01:43 PM

Open Vehicle Body Socket

1 Attachment(s)
Not content after installing reproduction body sockets. Destroyed one (do not recall the vendor as they were ordered early in restoration) and the outer lip of the others do not lie flat against the sheet metal.

Suspect finding 8 originals is out of the question so am inquiring about anyone’s experience with Bratton’s #28880 body socket? Catalog states “new tooling much better quality than in the past”. Mac’s (A81002) seems to be a similar item but a bit less expensive.

Thanks, as always!

rotorwrench 01-09-2011 02:54 PM

Re: Open Vehicle Body Socket

I've been purchasing from Bratton's for a long time and know they usually try to stock the best available restoration repro parts for the old As. That doesn't mean they have a different product than everyone else is selling though. I would like to hear some experienced input on this as well since I will be needing to install some in a 29 roadster project soon.

Kerby

Back to the top.

HoarseWhisperer 01-09-2011 04:02 PM

I had so many cheap repro sockets that blew up and fell apart.

Used a washer to tap the crimping on the back-side and still had trouble with them.

Did find a quality set from a vendor in French Lick (MARC Meet), but cannot recall who it was.

Ron Geer 01-09-2011 04:24 PM

Chuck - Try Lebaron Bonney for body sockets. Ron.

peters180a/170b 01-09-2011 05:04 PM

A+L Parts had a supply of N.O.S. original nickel plated sockets.. He had them on ebay a couple of times . Their price was a set for roadster was $39.00 ...[Deluxe Phaetons had 2 more then roadster] .Don't know if they have anymore . ?? Before Al died he was looking on making them better then whats out there.

BRENT in 10-uh-C 01-09-2011 05:15 PM

Yes, A&L definitely has the best ones out there right now.

jimvette59 01-09-2011 05:27 PM

Has any body looked into www.RestorationStuff.com It has a lot of hard to find items. Check it out.

wardkew 01-09-2011 09:44 PM

I got mine from Lebaron Bonney and have no complaints.

Ron in Quincy 01-09-2011 11:12 PM

Original sockets were made out of brass and nickled plated. Some of the replacement are made of stainless; trying to set these in the body, due to their hardness, its difficult to up set the crimped end which locks the socket in the hole. I've tried using a wood dowel and a metal punch; you almost dent the area trying to up set the crimp.

I gave up and had some originals nickled plated.

Ron

Charles Reese 01-10-2011 08:35 AM

hints on how to remove the poor fitting repros w/o 'spinning' and destroying paint?

Larry Seemann 01-10-2011 07:04 PM

It really hurts your feelings when you dent the door trying to set the socket. You can guess how I know. One of those mistakes you only make once.

Charles Reese 01-11-2011 07:31 PM

i feel your pain! mine is on a quater panel .. ugh:(